Ids World Markets Tues 30th December 03

Straight up on open (of course) but now enthusiasm is waning. All Ords +0.5% with volume slightly better overall than recent days. I wouldn't be surpised to see a drift down for the rest of the day. Market depth is building on the sell side so I suspect da boyz unloading some largish parcels but they're not in a hurry.

Golds up with Newmont in the lead, +4.2%, Lihir +0.7% and Newcrest +1.2%. Oils up around 0.8%.

Asia on a run: Nikkers +1.4%, Singers +0.9%, Sth Korea +1.5% and Taiwan +0.5%.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sideways for the rest of the day with a bit of a dip into close. Excruciatingly boring action, sheesh. All Ords closed +14.9, (+0.5%) with most of the blue chips off their highs but still green. My stop hit on the one and only put I have so I'm looking for a good place to get out. Most the charts seem overbought at the moment so with luck we'll get a pullback soon. All Ords only 9 points off the October high now.

Golds and oils about the same as the am post, not a lot of volume on those.

Asia shooting for the moon: Nikkers +1.7%, Singers +1.6%, Honkers +1.2%, Sth Korea +2.4%, Taiwan +1.41%.

Yoo-hoo world markets

Uncle Buck

intraday.gif?s...w=15&a=2&v.gif

Spoo-Hoo's-

globex.png

Nasty-

nasdaq.png

Globex Flash Quotes Link

euroland

Jo-burg Miners Here

After Hours-USA

Island

AM Market Call By CNNMoney

From Bloomberg 0410 AM Stool HQ Time

European Stocks Rise, Paced by Chipmakers; Philips, Nokia and Swatch Climb

European stocks rose, paced by companies dependent on export-driven sales, before a private survey that may show consumer confidence in the U.S. held close to a 14-month high in December. Royal Philips Electronics NV, Nokia Oyj and Swatch Group AG gained.

Yen Is Poised for Biggest Yearly Increase Against U.S. Dollar Since 1998

U.S. May Fail to End South Korean Ban on Beef Imports After Japan's Rebuff Bloomberg

Don't ya just luv the phrasing in the Bloomberg comment just above.

"European stocks rose, paced by companies dependent on export-driven sales, before a private survey that may show consumer confidence in the U.S. held close to a 14-month high in December."

What sort of non/doublespeak is that?Private survey!May show!14month high in December!

I seem to recall that consumer confidence in December was crap!

However,it makes no difference as the only impediment to the markets going up would be a severe epidemic of Valuation Related Disorder.

And that seems as likely as having a white Christmas in Darwin!

Judging from reports on M2M,I'm definitely on the wrong continent.

Brisbane reports non-stop pecuniary exuberance,same goes for Mark in So-Cal(despite the state being bust).Maybe these are isolated pockets of mad bull disease but I'm not so sure.

Here,all you hear is people not going on hols as often,holding onto their cars longer,shopping at super-discount supermarkets,not going to a restaurant during Xmas,putting off large purchases generally and a rising unemployment rate with more people living below the poverty line!

But,despite Euro strength,the market here appears "resilient"cq US-following as it's always been.No doubt the pensions here need saving as much as in the US--so why go against the flow.Except in the AEX there is no flow since June--320-340 range and that's it.No wonder money gravitates to the US--it's tradeable--here it isn't.

Mebbee the Hugh Hendry scenario will play out after all--the markets will still be around these heights in 2020 and the funnymentals have returned to sensible valuations--seems difficult to imagine from a current perspective, though!

"European stocks rose, paced by companies dependent on export-driven sales, before a private survey that may show consumer confidence in the U.S. held close to a 14-month high in December."

:D

Here,all you hear is people not going on hols as often,holding onto their cars longer,shopping at super-discount supermarkets,not going to a restaurant during Xmas,putting off large purchases generally and a rising unemployment rate with more people living below the poverty line!

It's what we should all be hearing about Brown One and I guess we all will eventually.

Footsie's a bit spooked today, rest of Europe bearing up though..

Archived