B4 The Bell Thursday July 1

Ashcroft: Supreme Court Giving More Rights To Terrorists

U.S. Attorney General In Miami, Says Government Weighing Ruling

http://www.nbc6.net/news/3479259/detail.html

MIAMI -- U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft said Wednesday that the U.S. Supreme Court gave more rights to terrorists in three recent decisions, and Justice Department attorneys are poring over the rulings to determine their consequences.

"The Supreme Court accorded to terrorists, in a variety of cases this week, a number of additional rights," he said. "We're digesting those opinions in terms of making sure that we adjust or modify what we do, so that we accommodate the requirements as expressed by the Supreme Court."

post-5-1088686070.jpg

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been so busy lately I have not had a chance to say Welcome and Many Tanks! to all the new Anals subscribers from around the US and around the world. So here we go! By location-

Welcome and many tanks to

Nelson, New Zealand

Zurich, Switzerland

Tampa

Oceanside CA

Olympia WA

Lafayette CA

Loveland CO (sounds like a fun place)

Noo Yawk

Denver

Los Gatos CA

The Woodlands TX

Juneau Alaska (No, I don't but it's good that you did. What did she say?)

South San Francisco CA (Is that anything like South Philadelphia? nah probably not.)

Johannesburg South Africa

McLean VA

Phoenix AR ( I learned to read with Phoenix)

Ann Arbor MI

Longview WA

Kingsford Australia (Great charccoal you folks make down there.)

Dr. Stool appreciates your support!

Jobless claims inch higher

By Rex Nutting, CBS.MarketWatch.com

Last Update: 8:31 AM ET July 1, 2004

WASHINGTON (CBS.MW) - First-time claims for state unemployment benefits increased for the third straight week, rising 1,000 to 351,000 in the week ending June 26, the Labor Department reported Thursday.

The key four-week moving average of new claims increased by 2,500 to 347,000, the highest level in 10 weeks.

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?...E}&siteid=aolpf

TE wrote:

Reading the anals. I can see Doc's numbers by Friday.

On a side note. My other people whom I pay thousands of doolars for have not been as accurate as Doc over the last few weeks. They have been good but Doc has been better. Kudos Doc.

Uh, why not send the thousands to Doc instead? :rolleyes:

First, many tanks to The End for the kind words.

Second, as to yobob's suggestion, The End has done just that (as does yobob1!), using the Pooper Scooper in the left column to generously support the Stool.

Doc appreciates that support, and all Stoolies who support the Stool!

Many tanks to The End, and all Stool supporters.

Happy Canada day to all!

Ashcroft: Supreme Court Giving More Rights To Terrorists

I have never understood why, if governments had truly captured terrorists, their justice system is considered insufficient to put them away for a long time. Innocent until proven guilty does not apply to terrorists, it appears. But the government also does not allow for the possibility that there are innocent people among the bad guys, captured in error.

Undemocratic governments the world over do this to justify detention without trial, and Ashcroft making public statements like this is very disturbing to me.

Happy Canada Day eh?

I'll be missing the fireworks show in Edmonton again this year :( They usually have a real good one out over the river, right in front of the Convention Center. Absolutely beautiful.

Happy Canada Day, y'all.

I note that Hang Seng is closed for "holiday." So they celebrate Canada Day too?

The final piece of the puzzzle is construction. I think you can begin to say uh oh there also. I have a friend in the steel business, not you MH. He's telling me that new projects are getting pulled before they finalize bids. When the build-outs start completing, I think were' going to see the impervious construction workers drop like flies. And all of their suppliers, right on down the line to the guy digging for copper in Chile.

Enjoy the Summer, I think it's going to be a very cold winter.

Well done.

I can only tell you about what I see in New Jersey. The numbers working in the home construction/reconstruction industry here has gone up a lot over the last few years. Partly this is driven by an aging housing stock that requires some repairs. However I don't think those repairs wouldbe so readily undertaken with out low interest rates for home refinancings and the expectation that improvements in your home will always pay off.

Whne the RE bubble cools, many will unfortunately lose their jobs - but worse of all they will have difficulty finding replacement work.

BTW - Kachingo baby! Sold crude for $1 one day gain. Looking to go short either the bond or stock market later today after we see what the Fed and Gang of 23 does.

The final piece of the puzzzle is construction.  I think you can begin to say uh oh there also.  I have a friend in the steel business, not you MH.  He's telling me that new projects are getting pulled before they finalize bids.  When the build-outs start completing, I think were' going to see the impervious construction workers drop like flies.  And all of their suppliers, right on down the line to the guy digging for copper in Chile.

Enjoy the Summer, I think it's going to be a very cold winter.

Well done.

I can only tell you about what I see in New Jersey. The numbers working in the home construction/reconstruction industry here has gone up a lot over the last few years. Partly this is driven by an aging housing stock that requires some repairs. However I don't think those repairs wouldbe so readily undertaken with out low interest rates for home refinancings and the expectation that improvements in your home will always pay off.

Whne the RE bubble cools, many will unfortunately lose their jobs - but worse of all they will have difficulty finding replacement work.

Same thing in NY. Very dificult to find someone to do small repairs or small installation, like a new door.

Seems quite a bit more speculative here. There is little in the way of buildable lots and tearing down an existing home is problematic. There is no shortage of additions, however. On my drive home there at least 5 1200sqft homes on 1 acre lots that have 6-7,000 sqft additions on them. No better indication of a mania in my eyes than seeing a perfectly good home turned into the foyer of a new mcmansion.

Question on Mozilla Firefox:

I don't know how to make it underline the posts I have read on Yahoo.

When I right click, the command for print is not there.

Is the Mozilla browser more full featured, perhaps, than Firefox?

thanks

Sherlock

Guest yobob1
TE wrote:

Reading the anals. I can see Doc's numbers by Friday.

On a side note. My other people whom I pay thousands of doolars for have not been as accurate as Doc over the last few weeks. They have been good but Doc has been better. Kudos Doc.

Uh, why not send the thousands to Doc instead? :rolleyes:

First, many tanks to The End for the kind words.

Second, as to yobob's suggestion, The End has done just that (as does yobob1!), using the Pooper Scooper in the left column to generously support the Stool.

Doc appreciates that support, and all Stoolies who support the Stool!

Many tanks to The End, and all Stool supporters.

Happy Canada day to all!

Sorry I didn't mean to leave the impression the TE was not contributing. I was just merely suggesting that the "other" money might be diverted.

yobob 1 -- I think that you got it nailed. Hyper commercial construction taking place in my area -- all with large "Leasing Info" signs in front. There's going to be a lot of unused and unwanted empty space just sitting for years.

Archived