B4 The Bell, Frieday April 23

:D Welcome to B4 the Bell! :D Also welcome to new contributors. :)

EEO to allow cutting retirees health benefits. Is this why some rust bucket companies advanced yesterday?

WASHINGTON, April 22 ? The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission voted Thursday to allow employers to reduce or eliminate health benefits for retirees when they become eligible for Medicare at age 65.

The agency approved a final rule saying that such cuts do not violate the civil rights law banning age discrimination. The vote was 3 to 1, with Republicans lining up in favor of the rule and a Democrat opposing it.

Employers and some labor unions supported the change, saying it would help preserve coverage for early retirees. But AARP, which represents millions of Americans age 50 and older, strenuously objected.

The new rule creates a potentially explosive political issue, because it will create anxiety for many of the 12 million Medicare beneficiaries who also receive health benefits from their former employers.

"We are aware of the anxieties and misperceptions that have taken root," said Cari M. Dominguez, chairwoman of the commission, which was deluged with letters opposing the rule from more than 50,000 AARP members.

Employer-sponsored health plans help retirees pay medical expenses not covered by Medicare. Those expenses could include co-payments and deductibles, the catastrophic costs of severe illness and the cost of preventive care and prescription drugs, beyond what Medicare might pay.

Commission to Allow Insurance Cuts for Retired Employees

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/23/politics/23RETI.html?hp

EPA keeps in place clean air rules: gasoline soars

EPA Won't Ease Limits On Gasoline's Sulfur Levels

By JOHN J. FIALKA

April 23, 2004; Page A6

WASHINGTON -- Government regulators, following discussions with representatives of the U.S. oil industry, said they decided not to temporarily ease restrictions on the sulfur content of gasoline.

A small group of gasoline importers had proposed such a move to allow them to import more gasoline and thus ease supply problems in the U.S. that are causing high gasoline prices. (See related article.)

Environmental Protection Agency spokesman John Millett said his agency will make no changes in its gasoline-sulfur program, which is intended to reduce the nation's smog problem by requiring cleaner fuel. Gasoline with high sulfur content tends to foul catalytic converters, which remove nitrogen oxides and other smog-causing substances from automobile exhausts.

Ed Murphy, a group manager at the American Petroleum Institute, said representatives from the refining industry and six major oil companies met with EPA officials yesterday. The industry, he said, unanimously opposed the move.

After a long fight with auto makers over how low U.S. sulfur restrictions should go, Mr. Murphy said, the oil industry agreed to a compromise that is the basis of the current regulation on gasoline sulfur content. The regulation requires that an average of no more than 30 parts per million be reached by 2006. Currently sulfur content averages 120 parts per million. "This was an issue that struck at the heart of the integrity of regulations," Mr. Murphy said. "You make them as strong as you can and then people invest on the basis of those, so you don't go changing regulations at the last minute."

Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D., N.M.), who had pushed the EPA to consider ways to temporarily allow more imports of gasoline that might have a higher sulfur content, said he was disappointed by the agency's decision. He said he was concerned the ruling was made to protect the "bottom line" of oil companies. "It's the American consumer who needs a break," he added, referring to higher gasoline prices.

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB1082676...ays_us_page_one

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major Buying Opportunity?

More Reasons Pro Than Con

Your Golden Stool, including short and long term updated charts and price targets, is loaded. Even if you are not a goldbug, you should check out the Golden Stool. It's in your Anals daily. Take a subscribatory and download the Golden Stool RIGHT NOW!

30 Day Intro Subscribatory. Just $16.99! Get In RIGHT NOW!?

Open your Goldmoney account today. I did! Goldmoney, a better way to buy gold. Goldmoney is an official sponsor of your Stool Pigeons Wire message boards.

Money Growth Resumes

But Banks Liquidate Securities

Fed Releases Turds Day update is now posted! Once a week Doc fills you in on the all important Fed Turdsday releases. Doc gives you his briefs, on the charts of the Fed's most important money and credit measures. Take a subscribatory and download your Fed Turdsday Releases RIGHT NOW!

Fed Update is now posted! Know what Al and his crew are up to, and how it's likely to affect the markets. Take a subscribatory and download your daily Fed Report.

30 Day Intro Subscribatory. Just $16.99! Get In RIGHT NOW!

Bucky may be in the early stages of a brand new erection. I missed the signal though.

Does anybody else here subscribe to marketclub.com (part of ino.com) for the data feed. I've been having a lot of trouble with it for the last day or so. My ability to get the data webpage I want, or any webpage from their site, has been very unreliable. Anybody else having that problem?

Bucky may be in the early stages of a brand new erection. I missed the signal though.

Does anybody else here subscribe to marketclub.com (part of ino.com) for the data feed. I've been having a lot of trouble with it for the last day or so. My ability to get the data webpage I want, or any webpage from their site, has been very unreliable. Anybody else having that problem?

Don't waste your time with MarketClub.

I tried it, and the data feeds were horrible. Way too slow.

I know I promised I wouldnt update crapvision but I have something constructive to report. Had a peek this morning to see durable goods that was 5 times expected!!! Bye Bye bond... Mark Haynes was showing some wisdom for once connecting the dots with the US deficit and its path. Many pointed questions such as Has the US EVER grown its way out of a deficit??? The response was ..Yes in the 90s. To which he replied..Yes but that was an period of enormous tax revenues generated by stock market gains ...It was a good discussion and nice to see.

Bucky may be in the early stages of a brand new erection.  I missed the signal though.

Does anybody else here subscribe to marketclub.com (part of ino.com) for the data feed.  I've been having a lot of trouble with it for the last day or so.  My ability to get the data webpage I want, or any webpage from their site, has been very unreliable.  Anybody else having that problem?

Don't waste your time with MarketClub.

I tried it, and the data feeds were horrible. Way too slow.

... And lots of missing data points too, even when it is functioning.

Too bad; it's inexpensive. We get what we pay for, as always I suppose.

What sites do you recommend for data feed? Thanks in advance.

Here's my comment on CrapView.

Anybody see that brief RE ad with Katrina Campins from "The Apprentice"?

Wow, she's hot!! What a rack!!

So much different than the CNBS Milk Cows: Maria, Sue, Liz, etc.

www.flashyourrack.com

For what it's worth, a little early morning quick and dirty forensics.

Since about 8:00 a.m. (Stool time), you guessed it, they've propped the dollar and slammed gold. Though nothing like the last couple days (regarding the metals), it is noticeable on the short time-frame intraday charts. At the same time, the futures, jammed overnight as always, have only retraced a little.

It seems they may be shuffling the deck for ammo for more jamming after the open. After yesterday and last night, I know it appears a gap and crap is likely in the cards. Hopefully -- just be careful -- it does look like their trying to reload for another jam, maybe to take out 1144 that everybody believes is very important.

Here's what EUR/USD looks like. It's about 15 minutes old, as marketclub.com data feed went down again. :angry:

post-20-1082726455_thumb.jpg

Guest yobob1

RE: Durable goods - drivers - primary metals. I'm willing to bet that the quantity of goods is the same or lower and only the price of the goods has changed because of the increase of primary metals from which most durable goods are manufactured.

Brian don't make me throw any more fruit today! And for the love of God, think man. You chose beefsteak tomatoes when any sane person would have chosen something much smaller like a Roma or a cherry tomato. :lol:

Having reviewed the matrix's plan for today, plan on a last minute metal slam coupled with a late day bond price surge and of course it's Friday so all stocks must finish much higher regardless of what else happens.

Archived