Another Happy print!

Everybody's worried about options week -- funny how we get conditioned to something and don't adjust our expectations to keep up with reality. Options expiry week has been pretty bearish for the last 3 months... probably because all the bears have been covering ahead of time.

Correction: the last 4 months.

OpEx weeks in yellow. Counting October thru January: From the close on the first day of OpEx week to the close on OpEx Friday, the market has been down an average of 4.3%.

post-160-1234837188_thumb.png

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you for telling me what I want. I would never have known otherwise. If I forget, would you do me a favor and please remind me? I can never remember my core convictions without a stranger on an anonymous bulletin board telling me what I do and don't believe. Thanks.

That said, I'm not real impressed with what people want when they don't have to pay for it themselves. I want to drive a government-provided Ferrari with a lifetime supply of gas. If you put it up for a vote, I would vote for it. Impressed?

I live in California. Among the things bankrupting the state are all of the free goods and services that the bottom half of voters keep voting for, that are free to them since they pay no income taxes. This unsustainable drain is what destroys Democracies.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years."

Western nations are well on the way to dictatorship and socialized health care is but a symptom of the continuing progression toward that end.

>>> The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years

Weird. When I was reading more about history I was reading the actual numbers are that the average life of every great civilization is about 600-800 years, not 200.

Who gave this 200 number? Is he proving that?

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. And the Manhattan Institute, a favorite of extreme right wing ideologues, has an especially big one from which it can spew its noxious crap.

By the way, how much time do you spend in Canada. How many Canadians do you talk to every day? How many daughters do you have who work within the Canadian health care system, who could come to the US and get a job instantly at 3 times the salary but chooses not to? How many grandchildren do you have who were born and are cared for in that system? How many mothers in law with rheumatoid arthritis who are cared for by that system do you have. How many fathers in law with diabetes and respiratory disorders who are cared for within that system? How many times have you, as an American, had to go to a small town Canadian hospital to have routine blood testing, as I have?

None, you say? Id didn't think so. And yet you are able to dig up a piece of garbage from a right wing think tank in an instant to belittle a system you know nothing about.

Truly amazing.

People die waiting in US hospital waiting rooms too. There are medical care shortages in many areas in the US too. Does Canada have its problems? Absolutely. But I have never once talked to a Canadian of all social strata who would trade their system for ours, and who doesn't think that the American system is nuts.

We visited a friend in Canada. When she was pregnant she got ultrasound 2 times. When my wife was pregnant she got ultrasound 10-15 times plus DNA tests plus 3-D ultrasound twice plus 5 days in hospital.

Having two kids, the total insurance bill was about $60k or so. We paid nothing. It's not excessive, every single bill was for a necessary procedure.

I don't quite understand what I would have to do in Canada? Pay this from my pocket?

cars are cheap, houses are cheap, gasoline still pretty cheap, milk and butter gettin' cheap, TV's are cheap, computers are cheap

truly these are the best of times

and I see tonight the common stock futures are getting cheaper

fantastic!

our economy is humming right along, producing maSS quantities of stuff cheaply

they must have found a way to produce more shares of common stock efficiently

excellent!

ZOMBENOMICS 101

Zombi banks with no owners equity, zombi homeowners living in houses with mortgages worth much more than the homes, zombi car makers producing cars at a loss, a zombi economy going no-where for years. Whole industries living on endless government bail outs.

Welcome to zombinomics 101 - the text book coming to a university near you.

We visited a friend in Canada. When she was pregnant she got ultrasound 2 times. When my wife was pregnant she got ultrasound 10-15 times plus DNA tests plus 3-D ultrasound twice plus 5 days in hospital.

Having two kids, the total insurance bill was about $60k or so. We paid nothing. It's not excessive, every single bill was for a necessary procedure.

I don't quite understand what I would have to do in Canada? Pay this from my pocket?

This is another example of extravagant, needless waste in the private sphere. There's absolutely no way all those procedures are needed. Unless there is a very high risk or complicated pregnancy, in which case such monitoring would be done on the public purse (at least in NZ where I live, and in the UK and Australia where I've worked). Another example of doctors who do procedures inventing a mythical need for them to be done so they can generate income.

This is another example of extravagant, needless waste in the private sphere. There's absolutely no way all those procedures are needed. Unless there is a very high risk or complicated pregnancy, in which case such monitoring would be done on the public purse (at least in NZ where I live, and in the UK and Australia where I've worked). Another example of doctors who do procedures inventing a mythical need for them to be done so they can generate income.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've lived in both the US and Canada and had better medical coverage in the US than probably 80% of the population, but I still wouldn't trade the Canuck system for the US system.

Roxy, did your friend deliver a healthy child? This may be only anecdotal evidence, but it seems to me that all of my friends/relatives/colleagues have been able to deliver babies having only had two ultrasounds.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've lived in both the US and Canada and had better medical coverage in the US than probably 80% of the population, but I still wouldn't trade the Canuck system for the US system.

Roxy, did your friend deliver a healthy child? This may be only anecdotal evidence, but it seems to me that all of my friends/relatives/colleagues have been able to deliver babies having only had two ultrasounds.

The Indians used to deliver healthy babies without any of these procedures. Their water would break and they would squat on the ground and, behold, a slimy, crying infant would emerge from the crevice. Today, we are a spoiled bunch...

I'm in Canada. My wife is pregnant. We've had weekly ultrasounds plus 3-D ultrasound.

Maybe the other woman didn't NEED 15 ultrasounds?

Archived