IDS World Markets Thurs 16th December 04

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/b?s=^AORD

Bullz went into a feeding frenzy and bang, straight through resistance and it's a new record high. All Ords +0.7% and this is getting out of hand with the daily chart going vertical. The banks fairly restrained at +0.6% and there's even one slightly in the red. WOW and CML, the 2 largest retailers screaming up +1-2%, News Corp +1.6%, BHP +1.1% and QBE (insurance) adding to yesterday's big gain, +0.5%. Too sickening...

In the golds, Newcrest and Lihir still climbing, up around 1% but Newmont having another red one, -1%. Strong day for the oils with Santos taking over as fave, +2.4%.

Looks like the bearz have moved to parts of Asia, like Japan. Nikkers down 0.6% but could be working on a bounce, Singers -0.4%, Sth Korea +1% and Taiwan -0.2%.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=^AORD&t=5d

All Ords closed +0.7% with another big consolidation at the highs. What's the bet it's up again tomorrow, arrrgh... News Corp +1.9% and Coles Myer +2.3% were 2 of the top gainers on my screen but most the bluechips up to some extent. Specs were virtually ignored apart from a few screamers the daytraders piled into. Any stock going into pre-open pending an announcement gets the overbid treatment, doesn't really matter what the announcement actually consists of.

In the golds, Newcrest and Lihir put in a solid performance closing +1.8%. Newmont closed flat. The oils took off and didn't look back: Santos +2%, Woodside +1.4% and Caltex +1.3%.

Over in Asia, Nikkers, Singers and India still in the red and the others are showing modest gains.

Over to youse European guys now...

Australians spend $8b in Xmas frenzy

The Cashcard Retail Activity Index has reported that Australians have spent $8.3 billion in the kick-off for the Christmas season, from December 1 to 14.

This result follows on from the raw spending of almost $17 billion for the full month of November.

Cashcard said that the data for the first two weeks of December "should not be doubled to predict month end outcomes" because of the historically higher spending patterns immediately prior to Christmas.

Australian index is up only 161% in 16 years nowhere near the bubble territories unlike the American.

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/b?s=^AORD

Bullz went into a feeding frenzy and bang, straight through resistance and it's a new record high.  All Ords +0.7% and this is getting out of hand with the daily chart going vertical.  The banks fairly restrained at +0.6% and there's even one slightly in the red.  WOW and CML, the 2 largest retailers screaming up +1-2%, News Corp +1.6%, BHP +1.1% and QBE (insurance) adding to yesterday's big gain, +0.5%.  Too sickening...

In the golds, Newcrest and Lihir still climbing, up around 1% but Newmont having another red one, -1%.  Strong day for the oils with Santos taking over as fave, +2.4%.

Looks like the bearz have moved to parts of Asia, like Japan.  Nikkers down 0.6% but could be working on a bounce, Singers -0.4%, Sth Korea +1% and Taiwan -0.2%.

The board seems to have attracted a bull-pimper! It has been duly reported and I've just called the police :lol:

ABN-Amro this am announces job cuts of 3000 staff.A re-organization of 5 business units into 3 new ones will cut a number of jobs...cuts will also be made in IT Services as these services are outsourced.

Still,plenty of job opportunities for those "outsourced"--Albert Hein(Ahold in Holland) doesn't yet employ "greeters" at their stores--so those job opportunities have still to be created :o

ABN-Amro this am announces job cuts of 3000 staff.A re-organization of 5 business units into 3 new ones will cut a number of jobs...cuts will also be made in IT Services as these services are outsourced.

I wonder if that was something to do with their chief strategic anal cyst saying his clients would be lucky to make anything at all next year. Maybe the clients went to a broking house that told them what they wanted to hear. ;)

That ABN-Amro news was apparently the finalization of plans announced in the summer of this year.Now they're giving finite numbers--about half the cuts will happen in Holland although the bank stresses that there will be no compulsory redundancies---if they can talk Ahold into instigating greeters at their stores :lol:

Here's the chart of the call/putz ratio in A'dam.Getting more and more call heavy.I'm waiting for the spike above 2,that has predicted a drop pretty accurately until now.

http://www.tostrams.nl/grafieken/cpratio.gif

post-568-1103191792_thumb.gif

Oops Aussie!Re Zeepler's post.I declined to click on the link cuz I thought it really was a pimper.I didn't realize there was a cynical comment attached !

I just thought,I'm damned if I'm going to click on a site that gets a brownie point for every referal. :rolleyes:

Ok, reinstated, I did click on the link though and still thought the same. Just too subtle for us I guess Brown One :lol:

Oops Aussie!Re Zeepler's post.I declined to click on the link cuz I thought it really was a pimper.I didn't realize there was a cynical comment attached !

I just thought,I'm damned if I'm going to click on a site that gets a brownie point for every referal. :rolleyes:

Ok, reinstated, I did click on the link though and still thought the same. Just too subtle for us I guess Brown One :lol:

I can't find anything cynical there.It seems to promise "acres of diamonds" a la Jickiss :lol: See what Doc tinks!

ABNAmro again--only stock keeping our little pile inflated this am.10m shares and up 5%.So you get a double whammy effect--the pre-announcement(summer) gets you 5% on the price and the actual announcement gets you an extra 5% as long as you wait long enough for the morons to have forgotten that they added a few billion to your market cap 6 months ago for the same news!UFB every day!

Archived