Welcome to earnings Q4 season

As Doc has pointed out the the NY Fed holds a planning meeting every morning. The briefer just notes some key area. I don't think the boyz such as the Squid have any problem knowing what to do, especially if the government has let the boyz know that they can do what they need to do as Jimi pointed out earlier. The government doesn't need to actively intervene , just supply FRNs

Okay. Thanks. Now we're moving the discussion forward again.

So, it isn't the USG itself that is active in the futures pits, it's simply the USG at these morning phone calls issuing "guidance" for the PDs to be active in the futures pits, and thereby place the bid under the cash market.

That's how it works?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay. Thanks. Now we're moving the discussion forward again.

So, it isn't the USG itself that is active in the futures pits, it's simply the USG at these morning phone calls issuing "guidance" for the PDs to be active in the futures pits, and thereby place the bid under the cash market.

That's how it works?

I would say the PD's are at times active in the S&P futures for reasons like you stated. Also, I believe that they might also target the Dow because it would be really easy to manipulate an index with only 30 stocks. You could drive the Dow up and eventually the other indexes will follow suit. You are not going to have the Dow climbing and the S&P tanking for very long.

<h5 class="latest">Latest Story</h5>

Let Me Count The Ways- Professional Edition

January 10, 2010 By Lee Adler Cycle based stock screening data was mixed on Friday with virtually no change in the intermediate measures. Click here to download complete report in pdf format (Professional Edition Subscribers). Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time, you don’t find the information useful, I will give you a full refund. It’s that simple. Click here for more information.

I sure hope you are correct on those support and resistance lines. Thank you very much.

I would say the PD's are at times active in the S&P futures for reasons like you stated. Also, I believe that they might also target the Dow because it would be really easy to manipulate an index with only 30 stocks. You could drive the Dow up and eventually the other indexes will follow suit. You are not going to have the Dow climbing and the S&P tanking for very long.

FWIW, I find you particularly reasonable in this discussion, and I appreciate that. I am not a zealot, even if I play one form time to time. I am totally open to having my mind changed. That's why I am interested in mechanisms, because those I can evaluate. That's why I was grateful to CWD as well for offering his view of the morning call.

Here's another tedious question. If it's the PDs that execute the trades in coordination, it doesn't really matter whether that coordination occurs as part of plans over post-close martinis, or as part of some telephone call on which the Fed participates right?

I mean, once the Fed has initiated the coordination among the PDs, they can orchestrate the activities themselves. And my interest here is entirely with regard to the purported activity w/r/t equity index futures.

Put differently, the conspiracy does not requre the role of the Fed or the PPT or the Treasury or Obama, right?

I'm re thinking things after reading this....and these ass hats have been preaching to us about fiscal responsibility...

I'll give this global bubble a year or two max....when it ends...its over...

SHANGHAI, Jan 11 (Reuters) - China's key stock index opened 3.3 percent higher on Monday, with brokerages outperforming, after the government announced that it had granted approval in principle for the country's first index futures and margin trading. [iD:nTOE60708W]

Brokerages, which will be the primarily beneficiaries in the reforms, outperformed the broader market.

Top brokerage CITIC Securities (600030.SS) jumped by its 10 percent daily limit to 35.49 yuan and Haitong Securities (600837.SS) added 9.35 percent to 20.70 yuan. ($1 = 6.83 yuan) (Reporting by Lu Jianxin and Jacqueline Wong)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKBJD00339320100111

jickiss is back!

jickiss is back!

and

Dear patents,

Bonds. in re your Bonds question, this will help. Do NOT confuse the level of interst rates or the so called term level of interest rates with

The Bond Default Question.

know well One Thing; namely, No Matter who or What, No outstandings were designed to be paid down...all of the Debt is designed to be rolled. got that.

When Bonds can not be rolled (a bond for $100 million is due, it is paid off, but not from assets, such as Cash on Hand but from the Proceeds of the sale of another bond) Then GOLD will move above $2,000.00.

Why, you may ask. Easy: When Bonds can not be rolled, then they Default. This is why Bonds are Key.

Bonds are claims on assets (in theory). The dirty hand wants to own all the assets, in the End. Name a bunch of bonds that have failed, so far.....

see the point?

This is the issue....if rates go up, but bonds can be rolled, no disaster....If mortgage rates went to, for instance, 7%, this would not matter at all if there was Demand for Work and Workers. Imagine picking up a newspaper and seeing thousands of Help Wanted Ads for real work that paid $50, 60, 90 thousand a year, with benefits.....who could care if the Mortgage Rate was 7%....But this is not the case tonight.

Thimk!

When Bonds start to do the Major Default, rates will be rising, and Gold and Silver and Miners and Miners Related will Rise Faster and Faster.

Cash will be something that very few will have.

Do not extend your maturities now.

jickiss!!!!!!!

This looks familiar....

Posted: 11 January 2010 1004 hrs

Hong Kong Stock Exchange

HONG KONG: Hong Kong's stock exchange was the world's hottest IPO market last year with more than US$30 billion in new listings, but it stands accused of sacrificing quality for quantity.

The bourse is keen to stay ahead of rival Shanghai and attract non-Chinese companies, but criticism has mounted after the controversial approval of Russian aluminium giant UC Rusal's share sale and a string of listing debacles.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...1029808/1/.html

I'm re thinking things after reading this....and these ass hats have been preaching to us about fiscal responsibility...

SHANGHAI, Jan 11 (Reuters) - China's key stock index opened 3.3 percent higher on Monday, with brokerages outperforming, after the government announced that it had granted approval in principle for the country's first index futures and margin trading. [iD:nTOE60708W]

Brokerages, which will be the primarily beneficiaries in the reforms, outperformed the broader market.

Top brokerage CITIC Securities (600030.SS) jumped by its 10 percent daily limit to 35.49 yuan and Haitong Securities (600837.SS) added 9.35 percent to 20.70 yuan. ($1 = 6.83 yuan) (Reporting by Lu Jianxin and Jacqueline Wong)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Clearly, The Them are laying the groundwork for morning phonecalls in the China Century.

Those crafty, forward thinking Trilateral Kommissars.

The relentless one way direction of stocks for days on end which has been going on for months has a 'feel' like the big players are refusing to play or execute short strategies. I have no clue how often the investment banks, no longer titled that, used to play short strategies.

In the options market the seemingly persistent gains by the call buyers has to be pretty extraordinary. Like now with the P/C ratio so strong the amount of calls there for the reaping must be a very tempting target. One that rarely gets hit anymore. Perhaps it is because stock trading is so dominated by the big guys using HFT.

I've had this story in my mind for months that the prop desk at GS has a standing order, do not implement short trading strategies. True or not it just 'feels' that way.

After all one could say that there is a strategic and systematic longer term gain to be made by a rising stock market which would make forgoing easy short term gains by inducing 'profit taking' worth ignoring. It's even patriotic. Besides one never knows if a little air pocket could get out of hand.

Whiich is all total BS but it just 'feels' right.

Oh my gawd. There goes Uncle Wollies global inflationary melt-up. That may have explained the NIKKME melt up at the close. To bad they are closed today.

Does anyone remember how long the Madoff scheme lasted? Also, what was the value of his "fund" or assets controlled? And could someone remind me please of how many trades were actually done?

Also for my own edification, could someone point to me where all the futures contracts appear on the finanicial/accounting records of the various business entities? For example, could someone point out the line in GS public financial records showing the asset value for all the futures contracts (of any sort) that they are holding? Not the mark to market value of the change in price. (And I am not asking about stock or bond holdings.)

TIA.

Madoff's fund was a fraud from day one which dated to the 80s I think. It really started to get out of hand in the mid 90's as I recall. It seems he never did any trades at all in later years. Maybe few ever.

The futures Clearing Houses know all. Getting the trading runs from anyone would require subpoena I imagine.

No stranger can walk into a futures pit and start trading. The trader needs a badge and the badge has to be attached to a firm that is a clearing member or has an account with a clearing member. The trades have to be real. I've never really heard any stories of floor traders moaning about deep pockets forces moving the markets in unusual ways. You would think these sorts of stories would come out. There still are independent traders in the pits after all and by nature traders are an independent lot and not known for their reserve.

Now thinking back in07 there was that story about 990N in the S&P pit relentlessly buying.

Now 990N's firm could be clearing through anyone and his firm could be 3 layers deep in interlocking corporate structures. Still, somebody knows whose who. The futures and options exchanges and their clearing houses have been very successful deflecting inquiries. After all we never did hear who it was that left the AA put options on the table after 9/11. The trades were done though some somebody by somebody and they closed well in the money and the account holder never took the gains, or so they say. I mean this was a big story off and on for some time and it just died. The puts were put on just days before. The numbers were not gigantic but worthy of note. The final story implied it was just a lucky trade turned unlucky. That's probably the case. Still.........

Sir you are a pessimist. I say 15+. B)

Archived