The Long And The Short For Thurs Dec, 5

ThorAss

Anyway, the scans evened out a bit but shorts still swarmed longs 14 to 4.

Here is the pick 2 of the 4 longs for those who like to play their bear markets on the long side. Remeber, never short anything a bear can eat. :D

SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=FDP,uu[r,a]daclyyay[dd][pf][vc60][ilb14][J8666318,Y].gif

SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=HSIC,uu[r,a]daclyyay[dd][pf][vc60][ilb14][J8666320,Y].gif

Since I've given you the good half of the longs, I might as well give you the good half of the shorts. There are some good ones here. Strap one on today.

SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=ADTN,uu[r,a]daclyyay[dd][pf][vc60][ilb14][J8666487,Y].gif

SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=ARTI,uu[r,a]daclyyay[dd][pf][vc60][ilb14][J8666487,Y].gif

SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=BOL,uu[r,a]daclyyay[dd][pf][vc60][ilb14][J8666487,Y].gif

SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=GENZ,uu[r,a]daclyyay[dd][pf][vc60][ilb14][J8666487,Y].gif

SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=ROOM,uu[r,a]daclyyay[dd][pf][vc60][ilb14][J8666487,Y].gif

SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=PLNR,uu[r,a]daclyyay[dd][pf][vc60][ilb14][J8666487,Y].gif

SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=ZRAN,uu[r,a]daclyyay[dd][pf][vc60][ilb14][J8666487,Y].gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...continuing for Friday Dec 6.

Shorts still beat Longs 8 to 4. The longs didn't look too interesting but the shorts contained a few gems. I suggest you look at

GRMN,GRTS,PPD,TBL,ZLC.

I read a lot of stuff about shorting QQQ, IBM, INTC and a handfull of others. Doesn't it get boring. Branch out there's a world of crap to be flushed. :grin:

As per my tantrum over at the outpost, anybody out there gaining anything from this thread?? :unsure:

:) HI Thor. I suspect many people tend to trade the same old thing that they're used to. Personally, I'll admit that with my UK based brokers getting shorts on just about any US listed share isn't necessarily that easy, at least for fairly small time customers like myself. I have had to go into enquiries that have last several days before now. In comparison, I know I can get INTC and such like just like that no messin. This time last year I could barely tell you the symbols for any US shares, so people like you posting stuff like this goes a long way to intriducing me to things that I would otherwise probably never get to hear about. Thanks.

No Thor, I could get a US account and indeed that would be the ideal solution. The thing is, to put it in my own words, I have bugger all money! What I mean is, my ability to fund varying accounts is limited, and I often use CFD's, not everyones' cup of tea but they enable me to put only 8-10% cash down e.g. $5000 for $50,000 worth of position. I believe your usual Ameritrade account for example, offers you a maximum of doubling up your money? On top of that I am more comfortable dealing with a UK based company, and I seem to remember reading how bonchev had loads of hassle with his account cos he was a' foreigner'.

By the way, did you know that a standard UK share dealing account has no provision for short selling? I hear they have had a fall in buisness in the last couple o years. :D

Sorry if this is a double post. I just tried to post and it disappeared -- but sometimes that ends up being a double post.

Thor, this is great to get your short list of shorts (and dongs).

But, I'm sorry to see Planar on the short list. I love my Planar 18" flat panel monitor. It has better resolution than its competitors, has decent built-in speakers, and is much cheaper than the others. Plus, they will drop-ship you a new one so that you have a replacement within three days if your monitor craps out in the warranty period. Plus, they're made in U.S. and Norway, not China, so you have the comfort of knowing that they were not made by slave labor.

And did I mention that they're cheaper?

Sigh.

As per your "tantrum" over at the outpost, I didn't read it. As you know, gold aint my thang but, as per our conversation a couple of weeks ago, I always look for this thread (boy, for a Mouse I sure "per" alot). I look forward to what you have added, where you are currently "at" regarding the stocks and how your market neutral game is going. You know my play, QLGC. I took a what I hope is a brief long position on Wednesday at 39.5. I've got a stop at 37.50. It's been pretty much a doji so far. I'd like to pick up a few percentage points, maybe 5 and then go short for the big fall this spring (not to be confused with the big autumn this spring).

Gawd I'm on a roll. . . shoot me.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, don't stop what your doing regarding this thread.

Re PLNR... very well managed company, so be careful there.

Re QQQ... I have made plenty of $$ shorting this index at 200% using RYVNX fund... Rydex Venture 100

And now is IMO the time to be short... see attached chart image. Last time this high was...hmmm, April 2000???

Oh well, chart wouldnt attach... but, you'll see soon enough...

sg,

Again it's not about the company, it's about the price. I don't care if it's run by the hand of the almighty, if people want to sell the price is going to fall. If there's a good technical argument, well then that's a horse of a different colour.

1) We don't really know what's happening with a company's balance sheeet.

2) A good company and a good investment at $50 a share is still a good company but may be a bad investment at $100 a share.

I trust in what no man says on Wall Street but I have faith in their actions.

You yourself short the NDX 100. Are there no well managed companies in that whole index? I don't know as I long ago despaired of fundamental analysis.

Archived