200 Down, 800 to go

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They have roughly til August 9th to get whatever downside action they want out of the way.? Plenty o' time for tricks along the way.

594518[/snapback]

Any special reason? I don't recall that date being thrown out here.

594520[/snapback]

Op Ex August. Maybe not valid this time; probably is.

594523[/snapback]

FOMC meeting on 8/7. And 8/8 is the luckiest day of the year, according to the Pai Gow players.

594526[/snapback]

So this action may be Ben+Hank laying out the turf for a rate cut, makes sense... they even have the dollah all propped up to withstand the impact.

594532[/snapback]

If they cut rates on 8/7, no doubt yields on the 10-year will go straight up. We saw the same thing in June 2004, only in reverse. Back then, yields ramped straight into the first rate hike. Then they fell 1100 basis points over the next year, even though the Fed was raising rates the whole time.

Does the Fed want to risk seeing the 10yr move up 1000+ basis points right now? That wouldn't be particularly good for Joe6 and his soggy mrotgouge.

The Fed's kinda boxed in right now. Will be interesting to see what they have to say on 8/7 and what sort of reax the market has. I'd have to guess they'll do nothing...yet again.

The scent of fear is thick in the midtown air. As blood begins pouring forth from the sewer pipes. A lone bear perched high on a dark skyscraper peers down on the scene of madness.  :ph34r:  :rolleyes: Praying to the heavens that PMs decouple before he goes bankrupt.

Dude, I'd hate to see you get wiped out.

You gots to realize that gold is not money until it is.

So this action may be Ben+Hank laying out the turf for a rate cut, makes sense... they even have the dollah all propped up to withstand the impact.

594532[/snapback]

If they cut rates on 8/7, no doubt yields on the 10-year will go straight up. We saw the same thing in June 2004, only in reverse. Back then, yields ramped straight into the first rate hike. Then they fell 1100 basis points over the next year, even though the Fed was raising rates the whole time.

Does the Fed want to risk seeing the 10yr move up 1000+ basis points right now? That wouldn't be particularly good for Joe6 and his soggy mrotgouge.

The Fed's kinda boxed in right now. Will be interesting to see what they have to say on 8/7 and what sort of reax the market has. I'd have to guess they'll do nothing...yet again.

594535[/snapback]

I'm completely ruling out a rate cut. They're already having such a hard time propping up the buck.

Ben and Hank's global crime syndicate are lending them Jacksons. A rate cut would be a complete slap in the face; they wouldn't be able to hold the buck up.

*WSJ: GE Restated 4 Yrs Of Fincl Results Due To Rail Deals

(MORE TO FOLLOW) Dow Jones Newswires

594533[/snapback]

Oops SPYs dropped another buck after that hit.

The scent of fear is thick in the midtown air. As blood begins pouring forth from the sewer pipes. A lone bear perched high on a dark skyscraper peers down on the scene of madness.? :ph34r:? :rolleyes: Praying to the heavens that PMs decouple before he goes bankrupt.

Dude, I'd hate to see you get wiped out.

You gots to realize that gold is not money until it is.

594537[/snapback]

I'm being somewhat hyperbolic, of course. I have my hand on the ejection lever and would pull somewhere aournd $640/oz spot gold, for a manageable and not existential loss. ;)

One thing to note...Paulson goes to china tonight...either this meltdown in After hours was a setup for positive announcement between china and US or someone knows something bad is about to happen. What is odd is this drop in the SP futures will open the SPX cash market right near LeeWee's 1448-1452 support on Monday.

They have roughly til August 9th to get whatever downside action they want out of the way.  Plenty o' time for tricks along the way.

594518[/snapback]

Any special reason? I don't recall that date being thrown out here.

594520[/snapback]

Op Ex August. Maybe not valid this time; probably is.

594523[/snapback]

FOMC meeting on 8/7. And 8/8 is the luckiest day of the year, according to the Pai Gow players.

594526[/snapback]

594532[/snapback]

594535[/snapback]

The three major indexes are still green for the year (2007; not the last 12 months) so panic at the Fed may be premature. I'm sure that some traders feel like panicing. I've had a few people around the office asking about the markets but we haven't even turned red yet. Of course if the DJIA drops another 800, then things change.

If this were the Friday before OEX, I would have gone long at the close. But it isn't. Still, we have end of month tape print.

I should probably take a closer look at gold this weekend. There have been some here that have expressed stress over their gold positions. I've been watching NEM and it looks like it is in the middle of the recent trading range. Down for the year. Maybe some of the smaller names have been far more volatile.

Some interesting implied probabilities of rate cuts based on Fed Funds Rate Options. No expected change though there's a decent change for October.

http://www.clevelandfed.org/research/Polic...funds/index.cfm

Blackstone tumbles amid debt market scramble

Private equity firm's shares dip as much as 7 percent as bankers struggle to get debt investors to purchase loans.

July 27 2007: 3:40 PM EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Shares of Blackstone Group LP, the private equity firm that went public late last month, fell as much as 7 percent Friday, amid a debt market freeze that has shut off funding for leveraged buyouts.

Blackstone's stock has fallen 21 percent since its June 21 debut, making it one of the year's worst performers for U.S. IPOs.

The firm's stock was down another 7 percent Thursday, before staging a late-day rally, ending slightly higher. Shares of Blackstone (down $1.18 to $24.52, Charts) fell 4 percent Friday afternoon on the New York Stock Exchange.

Blackstone raised more than $4 billion through its IPO, most of which went to paying out top partners.

source

post-2460-1185568657_thumb.png

Archived