First, Do No Harm

Do No Harm

===========

First, do no harm!

What is implicit in this simple precept of medicine?

An awesome power - the power to do harm.

Who gives you this power?

The patient.

A patient will come to you at his moment of greatest dread, hand you a knife, and say, "Doctor cut me open."

Why?

Because he trusts you.

He trusts you the way a child trusts.

He trusts you - to do no harm.

Sad fact is, human beings are not worthy of trust.

It is human nature to lie, take short cuts, lose your nerve, to get tired, make mistakes.

No rational patient would put his trust in a human being, and we're not going to let him.

It is our mission here to rigorously and ruthlessly train the humanity out of you and make you into something better.

We're gonna make doctors out of you.

-----------------------------------------------

The above was taken from a lecture to medical students in the movie "PATCH ADAMS."

It was a MountainWings Moment when I heard it.

We are all doctors because at one point or another, we all will have patients (and we need patience with patients).

Sooner or later, someone comes, and they trust us.

They are hurt and hurting.

By opening their hurt and pain to us, they give us power.

Our words and actions can heal or do harm.

When this moment comes again, remember Patch Adams.

Patch Adams is actually a real man with a real mission.

His mission was to help and to heal, and to do no harm.

In the things that we do, we have the power to heal or do harm.

Parents - your children are your patients.

Teachers - your students are your patients.

Businessmen and women - your customers are your patients.

To those dating and married - the other person is your patient.

Friends - your friend is your patient.

Children (and we all are) - your parents are your patients.

Our neighbor is our patient.

It is our mission here to help make you into something better.

Our mission is to help make you into good doctors.

Good doctors - who heal.

Remember Doctors,

Do No Harm.

A MountainWings Original

From MountainWings.com ? The Daily Inspirational Email

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad: How true:

I remember one point in my residency when one of the juniors complained about not getting enough sleep. The chief of the program said and I quote

"You can sleep when you're dead".

It appeared funny at the time, but since half my medical school class is divorced and the other half doesn't have a life, it's apropos.

Train the humanity out of you. G-d what BS

Regards

WH

Thanks, Glad.

My current doctor is a beautiful Indian woman from Delhi. I've never before had a female doctor. I often wonder what she knows about healing that she can't prescribe in our system.

Futures down sharply. Ain't too many gap down Monday tops around over the years.

For those who missed this this weekend, a note about editorial policy.

Please confine your posts on this thread to matters pertaining to short term trading.

Do not reveal your political sentiments or feelings about the war in this thread. If you do, I will either delete or edit the thread.

Do Not make long off topic posts on this thread. Open a new topic on LOB instead. Then you can put a link to it, here.

Short off topic posts are ok for purposes of humor, entertainment, or information. They should be no more than five or six lines. Anything longer, put on LOB, or whatever forum is appropriate.

Follow these guidlelines and you, and everyone will have a better experience here.

Stoolies--New is noise! :lol: Short term indicators (the complete collection available for viewing for subscribers over at Ike's site) were approaching overbought, and Ike, who is reluctantly short term constructive (it's hard for him to be bullish amidst such awful fundamentals. . .noise, of course, but still distressing and an excuse for a retracement), saw a pullback within 1-3 days. Support at 870, then 860. From a technical standpoint, it still pays to buy the retracement (with stops), especially if volume dries up. I have a few OEX puts bought Friday afternoon (for all the wrong technical reasons). I see today's pending selloff as a lucky break, as I don't expect much more than 25-40 points of SPX weakness in retracement; but then again, the market should give some signs if we can go higher later in week.

Ike, who is reluctantly short term constructive (it's hard for him to be bullish amidst such awful fundamentals. . .noise, of course, but still distressing and an excuse for a retracement), saw a pullback within 1-3 days.

Hmmm... My analysis tells me pretty much the same. In fact, I've read the opinion of several respected technicians (including Doc's) that conclude pretty much the same thing as me. I am starting to get really worried, folks! It can't be that simple... :blink:

Regards,

Vesselin

Vesselin--Well, I guess it means either we are going to have a bigger and lengthier fibo retracement than expected or a quick .382. In any case, trust your indicators. Plan the trade; trade the plan. A lot of ammo (goodness, my how these war metaphors start to creep into my language) was used to get us here. Da boyz may need a few days to refuel. If the volume dries up on this retracement, I think it constructive for a bullish resolution to the pullback. Doc's longer term view of a POSSIBLE sharper decline later in year still makes the most sense to me. I don't think we can conclude that the "they" never learn has reasserted itself on the basis of today's impending decline. Looking forward to seeing Doc's cmaps for help in seeing what the near term view may be.

BTW, please bears don't make the war the reason for market to decline (another example of the finger for the moon again) any more than it should be used for explaining its advance. The war is the war. Its outcome has little to do with the market, as the market ultimately has very little to do with the war.

Thanks, Glad.

My current doctor is a beautiful Indian woman from Delhi. I've never before had a female doctor. I often wonder what she knows about healing that she can't prescribe in our system.

Futures down sharply. Ain't too many gap down Monday tops around over the years.

Probably not a whole heck of a lot. One of the drawbacks of being trained in (is it allopathy?) is the detraining from other remedy systems. Plus, training in homeopathy and ayurveda are pretty long and involved processes comparable in duration to that in the modern system. So, it is unlikely she had any knowledge of the other systems to begin with...

Sorry doc - OT... But it's still early...

Doc's longer term view of a POSSIBLE sharper decline later in year still makes the most sense to me.

You see, that's part of the problem. I, too, think that we'll have a sharper decline later in the year. And so does, apparently, Fleck. And so do a few others. We all seem to think that we're going to have a pull-back, then another leg up, then a big decline. When so many people come to one and the same conclusion about the market, it's worrying... :wink2:

Perhaps we're wrong about the "another leg up" part? :grin:

Regards,

Vesselin

Vess and All

My thread this morning gives my wave take

Most of these "corrective" waves are the same in nature

A B C

A wave was clear 5 waves off bottom

B wave should be a b c down to correct

C wave should take us up in 5 wave above the A

No reason to expect anything different this time around.

With the war and bullhorning, its a tough environment to trade, so Im sitting on sidelines... but calling shots to see if Im right...

You can read it on my thread... 27.38 was 5 pennies from my top call on Q's... B wave is imminent... C wave up is very likely, but we shall see...

Vess... nice calls lately!

Thanks, SG.

The e-wave count you describe is my preferred one too - although, as you know, I am neither an expert with this technique nor do I rely exclusively on it.

I see an alternate possibility, though. An ABCDE corrective move since the July lows. If we just ended wave E on Friday, the downside could be fast and furious - and to much lower levels than most people expect. For now, though, I think that it is unlikely; most of the intermediate-term indicators I use suggest that we're only half-way done with this bear market rally.

Regards,

Vesselin

If we get a short upleg here, intermediate indicators will be late on the turn. That's what I "think" will happen, and why I suggested in the Anals to go with shorter term indicators with appropriate trade protection strategies, of course.

DOC, VESS etc

Now, before all of you start changin your tunes because of one down day... lets get clear

Doc, I thought you indicated we go loosely up or SWUP into May ish???

VESS.. You were pretty bullish last week and even said 1500-1900 is possible on NAS in this bear rally.

Now, before everyone changes their tune to fit the weather, lets get some clear opinions for us Stoolies... no offense

SG was very clear on my Friday thread when I covered and what my exact plans are...

Vess, you are now possibly saying ABCDE, and E is over and now we go down sharply... but you also said we are probably going alot higher after a pullback...

Just need some firm thoughts.

Mine could well be wrong, but at least Im not wavering...

Help please since I respect Doc and Vess immensely...

Archived