Whipsaw fun...The battle continues tomorrow

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How's the quality?

sound quality is perfect. No discernible latency like I get with my regular VOIP line. I'm going to drop the VOIP and use this for business. Only drawback is that I can't get an 800 number. But that doesn't matter much today with long distance as cheap as it is. Has free voicemail too.

sound quality is perfect. No discernible latency like I get with my regular VOIP line. I'm going to drop the VOIP and use this for business. Only drawback is that I can't get an 800 number. But that doesn't matter much today with long distance as cheap as it is. Has free voicemail too.

I have a yearly subscription VOIP using 8x8. There are still feedback problems when I call Colorado and sporadic times when I can't connect to my home phone. You get what you pay for I guess. I believe Magic Jack needs your computer to be on most of the time. At least I think so. That would discourage me from using it at home.

Without a cell phone, a person with a laptop and a (wireless) connection and you'd be good to go portable.

The funnymental are horrendous which is why you don't hear much about them. Except the ones they can lie about.

The drop in continuing UE claims for example. Note this chart on claims being exhausted. Then there was today's 'rise' in existing home sales.

post-441-1245814810_thumb.jpg

post-441-1245814820.jpg

I believe Magic Jack needs your computer to be on most of the time. At least I think so. That would discourage me from using it at home.

Where did you get that idea? Voicemail works whether the computer is on or off and it too is included in the annual license fee. You can also use call forwarding. Just as easy to put the device in your pocket, or computer bag, and take it with you when you travel. All hotels have broadband access, as well as most fast food restaurants. Anywhere there's a wireless hotspot you can receive and make calls with your phone or with a computer headset. It's as portable as a cell phone, only there are no roaming charges, no long distance charges and no monthly fees. I think the main reason most people don't have one yet is that it seems too good to be true.

I have Packet 8 too, and it's far more cumbersome and more expensive to use, in addition to the crappy call quality you noted. I will cancel the service as soon as I can change the phone number on all my web applications.

At the very least, you can do away with long distance. I plan to drop my long distance plan on my home phone.

The main reason I won't give up basic local phone service is if there's a power outage, in which case an old fashioned wire phone in the wall is the only means of communication. Cellular batteries only last so long, and in Florida, as well as Canada, power can go out for days under the worst weather conditions, when you are likely to need your phone the most.

Where did you get that idea? Voicemail works whether the computer is on or off and it too is included in the annual license fee. You can also use call forwarding. Just as easy to put the device in your pocket, or computer bag, and take it with you when you travel. All hotels have broadband access, as well as most fast food restaurants. Anywhere there's a wireless hotspot you can receive and make calls with your phone or with a computer headset. It's as portable as a cell phone, only there are no roaming charges, no long distance charges and no monthly fees. I think the main reason most people don't have one yet is that it seems too good to be true.

Well, if you want to receive a call at any time I thought your computer needed to be running for magic jack to operate since it's hooked into your computer. I'll check it out.

Yes, the computer must be on to make and receive calls, but not for voicemail to work. My computer is on during all waking hours. If you are a casual computer user, and like to keep the machine turned off most of the time, then yes, this would be too cumbersome.

Archived