What Goes Around Comes Around

From inter-web.co.uk/ripping.htm:

1994's Most Bizarre Suicide - THIS IS A TRUE STORY!

At the 1994 annual awards dinner given by the American Association for Forensic Science, AAFS president Don Harper Mills astounded his audience in San Diego with the legal complications of a bizarre death.

Here is the story: On 23 March 1994, the medical examiner viewed the body of Ronald Opus and concluded that he died from a shotgun wound to the head. The decedent had jumped from the top of a ten-story building intending to commit suicide (he left a note indicating his despondency).

As he fell past the ninth floor, his life was interrupted by a shotgun blast through a window, which killed him instantly.

Neither the shooter nor the decedent was aware that a safety net had been erected at the eighth floor level to protect some window washers and that Opus would not have been able to complete his suicide anyway because of this.

Ordinarily, Dr. Mills continued, a person who sets out to commit suicide ultimately succeeds, even though the mechanism might not be what he intended. That Opus was shot on the way to certain death nine stories below probably would not have changed his mode of death from suicide to homicide.

But the fact that his suicidal intent would not have been successful caused the medical examiner to feel that he had a homicide on his hands.

The room on the ninth floor whence the shotgun blast emanated was occupied by an elderly man and his wife. They were arguing and he was threatening her with the shotgun.

He was so upset that, when he pulled the trigger, he completely missed his wife and pellets went through the window striking Opus.

When one intends to kill subject A but kills subject B in the attempt, one is guilty of the murder of subject B. When confronted with this charge, the old man and his wife were both adamant that neither knew that the shotgun was loaded.

The old man said it was his long standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her - therefore, the killing of Opus appeared to be an accident.

That is, the gun had been accidentally loaded. The continuing investigation turned up a witness who saw the old couple's son loading the shotgun approximately six weeks prior to the fatal incident.

It transpired that the old lady had cut off her son's financial support and the son, knowing the propensity of his father to use the shotgun threateningly, loaded the gun with the expectation that his father would shoot his mother. The case now becomes one of murder on the part of the son for the death of Ronald Opus.

There was an exquisite twist. Further investigation revealed that the son, one Ronald Opus, had become increasingly despondent over the failure of his attempt to engineer his mother's murder. This led him to jump off the ten story building on March 23, only to be killed by a shotgun blast through a ninth story window.

The medical examiner closed the case as a suicide.

And since this is the kind of story and we are the kind of community that my Mom Janet, who graduated from this planet exactly forty years ago today, would absolutely appreciate, I hereby dedicate today's two IDS threads to her.

Gladiator David

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bdaycake.gifAnd RockLedge, who joined us on the very last day of last year, celebrates his birthday today. Happy Birthday, RockLedge.

And two of our members celebrate their one year anniversaries today:

an2.gifHappy Anniversary, sweefraapp.

an2.gifHappy Anniversary, aureleus.

If I ever have to jump from the 10th story of a building, my prayers will be answered if I am shot dead on the 9th floor.

Up most of the nite with the bidness. Scumbuckets pumping again. I'm too old for this; I have more fun influencing events than trying to figure out how events are going to influence me.

Best of trading, y'all. Dump one for the Gipper.

while we're repeating our M2M posts, here's a scam week discovery. based on the past 20 scam weeks, a summation of daily SPX moves looks like this:

M -12

T +68

W -105

TH -70

F -87

which suggests that, far from prices holding steady into and on friday opex, the second-biggest average drop actually takes place that day.

stranger yet, from the beginning of the first sample scam week (jun 01) to the end of the last (jan 03), the SPX dropped a total of 363 points. so, from the figures above, a net 262 pt drop took place during the W-F of the various scam weeks (three days out of the month), and the other net 101 pt drop took place during the whole remainder of the month.

avg change in SPX every day that isn't W-F of scam week: -0.3 pts

avg change in SPX on a W, TH, or F of scam week: -4.3 pts

the SPX has enjoyed a drop during the last 3 days of a scam week that is 14.7 times larger than days that aren't the last 3 days of a scam week. :huh:

SG sings in...

To the tune of the Jackson 5 "A B C"

A B C, its easy as 1363... I'll simple it 1363, ABC... etc...

I posted the chart below yesterday about 53 times on IDS and my own Wave thread.... not only that... But I annotated and did the chart before the market even opened yesterday....

Keep it simple, cuz it is.... 1363 is a nice 50% FIBO of the 1470 to 1260 move down.... nuff to shake the bears out of the tree and back into their caves... to get Kramer and Kramer all hot and bothered, to have bears shit in the woods, to have Simple Guy waves numbers of views fall in half from just 2 weeks ago, to have bears going DONG or Neutral, covering, etc....

Keep your emotions out.... as am I.

SG adding another 20% of powder to his shorts at tonights CLOSING print.... you dont want to know where I got the $$...heh heh....

Stubborn? Yes.... stupid... maybe.... emotional... a little, but not enough to cover... what are you kidding me?

See last nights thread for an updated ABC chart

while we're repeating our M2M posts, here's a scam week discovery. based on the past 20 scam weeks, a summation of daily SPX moves looks like this:

M -12

T +68

W -105

TH -70

F -87

which suggests that, far from prices holding steady into and on friday opex, the second-biggest average drop actually takes place that day.

stranger yet, from the beginning of the first sample scam week (jun 01) to the end of the last (jan 03), the SPX dropped a total of 363 points. so, from the figures above, a net 262 pt drop took place during the W-F of the various scam weeks (three days out of the month), and the other net 101 pt drop took place during the whole remainder of the month.

avg change in SPX every day that isn't W-F of scam week: -0.3 pts

avg change in SPX on a W, TH, or F of scam week: -4.3 pts

the SPX has enjoyed a drop during the last 3 days of a scam week that is 14.7 times larger than days that aren't the last 3 days of a scam week. :huh:

scam weeks? thats 20 OE expiration weeks right? thats some interesting info thanks

meanwhile, thats a nice jump on the QQQ

Is today the big turn window? We shall see.hope so

January PPI up 1.6%, which is ODD for sure

Unemployment claims rising to 407k I think from 380 ish... another surprise (yah, right whatever)

A whiff of inflation no less??? lets see if the Bond market gets nervous soon

SG just feels a major reversal is nigh, I really feel it in the bones...

Somethin smells funny... I think Dan Niles last night was the capper...

US trade defecit hits record in 2002

The United States recorded a $435.2 billion trade deficit for 2002, the largest imbalance in history, as the weak global economy set back American exports while imports of autos and other consumer goods were hitting all-time highs.

Even in agricultural products, normally a U.S. bulwark, Americans bought more imported wine, cheese and other foods than American farmers were able to sell abroad -- resulting in only the second U.S. trade deficit in agricultural products on record.

The Commerce Department reported Thursday that the deficit for all of last year was up 21.5 percent from the $358.3 billion trade gap recorded in 2001 and surpassed the old record deficit of $378.7 billion set in 2000.

Futures tanking....

The Commerce Department reported Thursday that the deficit for all of last year was up 21.5 percent from the $358.3 billion trade gap recorded in 2001 and surpassed the old record deficit of $378.7 billion set in 2000.

Futures tanking....

lets see, if were down today its uncertainty and up its the amazing numbers.....easy day for Maria

Futures tanking....

lets see, if were down today its uncertainty and up its the amazing numbers.....easy day for Maria

That's a trade defecit not a trade surplus. Would be a good enough reason for the markets to be down -- combined with the larger than expected unemployment. 'course we got more data coming later this morning, so whatever they decide to report as the market-moving "news" today could change - today should be a little more interesting than yesterday's snooze...

10am - January leading indicators

noon - Philly Fed report

hello stoolheimers! :lol:

very bad bad numberas came out, mond dieu! :o

if dollar wouldnt have been hit in last months he would been hit after that trade balance number hard directly in his ass!

also wanna say tanks to doc for the wonderfull anals last night. Liked espacially the 1974 Dow chart. The whole is wondering why volume is so low. Couldnt it be that we just dont get the same volume like in 1999 and 2000 and so on. Wasnt it the case in history that when market goes up, volume goes up too, but when market goes down over years that then volume goes down too? :unsure:

phatbubble,

is it possible to make such an saturn/stock market relationship chart you presented yesterday with another time frame, for example just take a period from the 70s and 80s and look if that relationship really works?

Archived