Thomas Alva Edison

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .THOMAS EDISON

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .edison_animated.gif

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Courtesy: www.thomasedison.com

Ever since I was privileged to visit his house and laboratory in Edison, New Jersey about twenty years ago, one of the things I came away with at the time were those inspiring words of this great American. They have been part of my consciousness ever since, having subsequently seen me through some of the greatest challenges of my life.

And today, February 11, is his birthday. Thomas Alva Edison was born in 1847 and he witnessed tremendous changes in his lifetime, many of which he was responsible for through his 1093 patented inventions which earned him the nickname of "The Wizard of Menlo Park."

When he was born electricity was nothing more than a fad, a novelty. Through his most famous invention, the incandescent light bulb, entire cities were being lit by electricity at the time of his graduation from the planet in October of 1931.

He believed in hard work, sometimes putting in twenty hours a day, saying that "Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration," something I've also tried to keep in mind whenever the going has gotten tough.

Please visit the Blessed Google for more details on his life and accomplishments.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (summoner @ Feb 11 2003, 07:15 AM)

Republican senator Jim Bunning this am on Crapvision when asked about uncle Al, said; "He has failed miserably, he has butchered monetary policy, meddled in fiscal policy and the stock market and needs to just go home and retire." Thought I was dreaming...LMAO...Todays meeting will be interesting!

There was Democratic Senator on this morning calling for his resignation too. I did not get his name but it sounds like the bloom has fallen off Al's rose from more than one side.

If Al say's a pox on both your houses, he might really tell the truth and Simple Guy will once again be right. In a big way.

Live charts is not working for me this morning. Is anyone else having this problem? IG

PS: I transfered this from MtoM

Looks like I'm going to close QQQ puts at COMPX 1305-1309 come hell or high water. We might just gap open there. QQQ flashed 24.50 until 7:30 am, and was mighty glad to it print back down to current 24.27.

The US Dollar

intraday.gif?s=NYBOT_DXY0&t=f&w=15&a=2&v.gif

Credit: http://quotes.ino.com

Gold

middlechart.chart?iInd0=na&iInd1=na&iInd2=na&sSymbol=GLD.FX1&.gif

Credit: http://cdchart.innovative-software.com

NDX futures (delayed)

1040995646020?User=demo&Pswd=demo&DataType=GIF&Symbol=CME:ND03H&Interval=24:255&Permission=154714&Ht=400&Wd=600&Display=0&Study=STOC&Param1=26&Param2=18&Param3=&FontSize=10.gif

Credit: http://www.livecharts.com

SPX futures (delayed)

1040995646020?User=demo&Pswd=demo&DataType=GIF&Symbol=CME:SP03H&Interval=24:255&Permission=154714&Ht=400&Wd=600&Display=0&Study=STOC&Param1=26&Param2=18&Param3=&FontSize=10.gif

Credit: http://www.livecharts.com

Al Green always talked about the need for fiscal discipline, control of deficit spending, etc. The politicians are a bunch of pathetic buffoons. Al Green is either a maniac or a politician himself. Or, as Bizarro theorized, determined to destroy the fed, in which case he might be a hero. Either way, egad. I hope the Qubes go down and gold moves up :rolleyes:

This song is posted in honor of Alvis Greenley, the dark-eyed crooner who's still swiveling his pelvis and wooing the money market circuit, well into his seventies:

NASDAQ HOTEL

Well since my money left me

I found a new place to dwell

It's down at the end of Bear Trend street

at Nasdaq Hotel

You make me so bearish baby

I get so bearish

I get so bearish I could die

And though it's always crowded

you still can find some room

Where broken hearted punters

do cry away their gloom

I get so bearish

Well the order clerk's tears keep flowin'

and the margin clerk's dressed in black

Well they been so long on Bear Trend street

They ain't ever gonna look back

I get so bearish

Hey now if your money leaves you

and you got a tale to tell

Just take a walk down Bear Trend street

to the Nasdaq Hotel

adapted from Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley.

SG dings in quickly, gotta run

24.28 to 24.30 range to be tested again, big deal.

My views still call for 22.97 to 23.02 shortly on the Q's. My views still call for Greenspan to disappoint the markets today

My views still call for more downside on the way.

SG added 15k to his Rydex fund this morning and will be adding to his massive short 200% QQQ position today probably on the close.

Hope that helps solve any confusion... I am not confused... only happy to add more to my position

S & P futures right at the 840 area, right at the breakdown level from a couple of days ago.

Will it go higher and hit everyone's stops? Probably. Everyone is front running the Al Green comments.

I'll be closing my short on QCOM and cutting AMGN position in half if we start another ramp job. Will probably bail on a couple gold stocks that are in a losing position now to avoid getting too much on margin.

Fokker, Torah Man, and others....

Don't know how you guys play those options in this kind of a market. Must be very frustrating taking these hits month after month.

For those of you who remember my mention of Tim Ord's ideas of volume late last week, in which I said that in the very short term, the declining volume relative to the volume at the last swing low on the QQQs from last year meant a bounce was a near certainty in his mind and that regardless of what happened Friday, we would see where this market would be on Tuesday. Well he was long the QQQs between 23.90 and 24.00. We will be higher today in front of Greenspew's testimony; and I also suspect that if market tries to advance, but on anemic volume, that Ord and others of his ilk who are long modest positions will be going out or moving up their stops rather tightly. Intermediate term, he is a stoolie at heart. So by the end of this week, we may be heading down and SG may be raking in more dough for himself and those that cling to every word of his. I sure hope so. I sure hope Greenspew is the bait for reeling in the sheeple. :D

Archived