Auto Refresh Feature

My attitude toward the Stooltrading 3 minute auto refresh is:  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I still have at least one hand to click the mouse. And, my browser has a refresh button. So, I don't need an automatic refresh feature. In fact, it sometimes can be annoying when it "kicks in" while you're in the middle of reading a post. If it were "user preferences" configurable, it would get my vote. Otherwise, no. Thanks for asking.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The site KWave recommended had the optional refresh menu. I couldn't figure it out. There's a script somewhere that would need to be installed. Like I said, I ain't no programmer. I can plug in real simple stuff, but that's it.

Guest BEARDRECH
Comments welcome

dok

isnt fresh good? and zufoilte rotten no good? What am i missing here?--

I know im smart--want proof??

Look over there seee? Thats a hole in the ground!

Now look over here --seee? Thats my toches ( A--ole in anglo saxon) :P

Any more frages like this will bust my coconut--my life is tension ridden as it is without this constant demand for decisions decions decisons--

Whaddayudink i payyou for?

beardrech :grin: :P

The site KWave recommended had the optional refresh menu. I couldn't figure it out. There's a script somewhere that would need to be installed. Like I said, I ain't no programmer. I can plug in real simple stuff, but that's it.

I think I figured out how to do it. Take a look at this page and see whether it is what you need. You can easily see how it is done by inspecting the source of the page. Requires JavaScript-enabled browser.

Regards,

Vesselin

Je sui ici! Ou est vous? :grin:

Many tanks Dr. B. I will try that! I have another idea. I will insert the charts as an include and just refresh that so that the entire page need not be refreshed. However, that would require refreshing the comments manually every half hour.

Tsk-tsk, Doc - French-speaking wife and you still haven't learned proper French. :grin: The correct expression is "O? ?tes-vous?", of course. Or "O? est tu?", if you prefer the "where art thou?" form.

My solution refreshes only the image(s) - not the whole page. I didn't think about the comments. Perhaps you could include them also as an include? I mean, as JavaScript functions that write text into the document and then call these functions periodically from the main page. You can see from my example how to do periodic function calls; you don't need the period to be user-settable there since the comments are always changed once every half an hour only.

Tell me if you can't figure it out and I'll provide an example again.

Regards,

Vesselin

I can put the comments and charts together as an include page adjust change the name of the page to be refreshed from the image to the name of the included page, right?

Je suis desolee. J'ne parle pas le francais tres bien.

Actaully I don't speak French at all. Just know a handful of expressions. I'll have to learn though as we will be spending two months in rural Quebec this summer.

I do know that "tu is the familiar and "vous" is the formal, however. As for the grammar, fuggeddaboudit! :lol:

I can put the comments and charts together as an include page adjust change the name of the page to be refreshed from the image to the name of the included page, right?

Not quite. If you take a look at how the refreshing is done now, you'll see that it is effectively achived via a construct like

ment.image1.src = "http://www.capitalstool.com/s6.png?" + (new Date()).getTime();

I don't think that you can do this with an include page, because it won't be an object (like image1) that you can refresh by modifying its .src property. (Maybe it's possible - I just don't think that it is. I'm no Web design expert.)

Instead, you should include an external JavaScript file like this

< script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="http://www.capitalstool.com/comments.js">< /script>

Then, on the main page, after refreshing the image(s) (as I do in my example), you should also call a function (let's call it displayComments) which resides in that included external comments.js file. The function could do something like this:

function displayComments()

{

document.write("Close 4:15- The market bounced a bit off the 5 hour cycle low in the last half hour. Blah-blah...");

}

In fact, since the comments change only once every half an hour, you could invoke displayComments not every time when the image is refreshed (which is at a user-specified period) but every 30 minutes:

window.setTimeout("displayComments()", 30 * 60 * 1000);

Or something like that.

Regards,

Vesselin

Archived