Auto Refresh Feature

My attitude toward the Stooltrading 3 minute auto refresh is:  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doc,

The auto-refresh currently implemented is WONDERFUL. During the day, I am usually jumping from window to window to window, etc. Before the auto-refresh, I would move to my StoolTrading window, hit refresh, and then move on to something else...sometimes forgetting to come back and examine the refreshed data for 15-20 minutes. Now, when I move to the StoolTrading window, the latest data is already there waiting for me.

I love it!

Suggestion: While I don't want to add to your workload, I would appreciate a time stamp on each of the four charts to know when they were last massaged with your skillful hands. Perhaps there is some way to automate a time stamp on the charts.

Suggestion: I would also like to see the charts archived several times a day. I would suggest three (3) times a day. For example: 10:30 AM, 1:00 PM and 3:30 PM. The last three (3) archived chart sets could be on the bottom of the page. Links could be added to point back to the previous seven (7) sets of charts before those.

Thank you for being there for us!

John

When I used to refresh it myself it would come back refreshed to the same part of the stooltrading screen I was at. With the automatic, it brings you back up to the top of the screen, if that can not be changed I'd rather do the refresh myself. If this can be changed I'd rather have the automatic.

Also, on a different note, is it possible to put the one day cycle charts closer to the commentary area. While the market day is going on, it's that day's chart that I am more interested in.

I like Stooltrading! -- While I like the idea of auto-refresh,

for my tastes, 3 minutes is MUCH too often, and since it takes

my dialup connection to the internet the better part of 20

seconds to load the page to begin with.... :(

I really hope that you would be able to make this feature

optional --- One possibility is to have two pages, one which

offers the auto-refresh and another that does not.

Thanks, Doc!

I can't afford to monitor StoolTrading - I have a real job. Even keeping up with IDS by glancing there several times during the day is starting to use way too much of my time. So, I don't really feel qualified to vote on this poll - because no matter what the outcome, it wouldn't be affecting me anyway.

However, I can offer an opinion.

Basically, no matter what you do, you can never please everyone. Some would want auto-refresh, others will hate it. The only satisfactory compromise is to provide both options.

On the user side, it can be done by having the page not auto-refresh but suggest the user to use a Web browser that can refresh automatically at specified time periods - like AvantBrowser (there probably are others that can do this; it's just that I am using this one).

On the server side, it would be nice if the auto-refresh feature was user-configurable; something each user could set up for themselves. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the software that drives this board, so I have no idea how easy it is to implement it - or even whether it is possible at all.

Doc, can you introduce custom user settings - in additon to those the board's software provides to each user? Also, when generating the page, can you check these settings? If yes, then you could instert (with some PHP code) the "meta refresh" tags depending on whether the user requesting the page has the auto-refresh feature set or not. Sort of like now the board is generating different pages for viewing a thread, depending on how many messages per thread page the user has set up in their settings.

Regards,

Vesselin

Stooltrading is not on the message board. It is a straight html page. Since I am not a programmer and have not a clue about any of this stuff, any programming ahs to be done by you guys. I am happy to insert snippets of code from those of you whom I know well, and trust. :) That's where the page refresh came from.

I think overall, it's more of an annoyance and I will discontinue it.

I am open to all ideas.

It is possible to have the graphics refresh through server-side php (we know you have it installed ;) ) or client-side javascript and a randomizing trick

Server-side:

The page would be called as

http://www.capitalstool.com/trades.php?refresh=XXXXXX for refeshing

php is a server side processor and you can write a script that will process the refresh variable from the URL query string (and error-checking for too frequent refreshes, or no value).

After error-checking, you stick the variable into the meta refresh tag on the server-side.

It's all quite easy and simple.

If you want to add a pull-down menu and use the GET action, it will automate it further.

======

Client side for images:

The images can have a javascript name attached them so they become part of the document object, then you have a javascript script attached to a menu for refresh rates, that will put a timer on the client side to pull in the new image periodically. The way to trick the browsers cache is to put a random string (or date stamp) at the end of the file name after a '?', this tricks the browser into thinking its a different dynamic image each time. For example

http://www.capitalstool.com/s6.png

would be called as an image swap for http://www.capitalstool.com/s6.png?200302060352

With the last part being part of the script generating the date stamp to pull a new image.

======

The php is probably easiest and most convient for viewers, but it does add more server load for the pre-processing.

Archived