B4 the Bell, Freedomday, Aug. 13, 2004

Guest yobob1

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did I already say ...

... what a complete disaster the trade deficit was?

Just to put that in perspective, that is more than the yearly GDP

countries # 66 on down.

Annualized, that's more than the GDP of Australia.

We are now importing, at a deficit, more than the entire GDP of AUS.

To beat the bullies to the appropriate spin I'll just say, right here and right now;

We're #1! We're #1!

:D

Guest yobob1
Why the dollar sell-off  ? anybody?

The Matrix wants to see a lower dollar

Ah but there's the rub all of the other little currencies are yipping and yapping not to be the only expensive puppy left in the pen. Globalization has assured a currency mutual destruction pact that will take years to play out. If they shoot Uncle Bucky in the forehead - they all die.

As to stagflation, well we might have it now, but it won't last. Prices in the grocery store yesterday were positvely crashing compared to 30 days ago. Milk is about to slip back under $2 here, lg eggs were 68 cents a dozen, even beef is coming back down. More dry and canned goods on "sale" than has been the recent norm. Celery and Rommaine lettucve at prices I haven't seen in a couple of years. London Broils were $2.08, Super lean burger $2.08 also, New Yorks, Rib and T-Bones all a dollar off their peaks and not on sale. The problem with stagflation is you have to have commensurate income rises to support the inflation part of it. That ain't happening.

Yes but there's oil. Right now I think the pump price of gasoline is either rmanipulated (artificially lower by Shrubco edict) or the consumption is lower than reported. One or the other has to be occurring for pump prices not to be responding in a normal pattern. Unleaded reg here about $1.89 for the last 30 plus days.

Con-con numbers track the Dow like a puppy dog. I have personally noted our store traffic move with the Dow.

Did I already say ...

... what a complete disaster the trade deficit was?

Ranger Rick mentioned that oil imports accounted for $6 billion of the $56 billion trade deficit.

We exported $9 billion to the middle east, but imported $15 billion worth of oil.

One might assume that those numbers will rise by a couple of billion in August, owing to crude now costing 45 dollah instead of 40 dollah.

In 1920s America when a frugal mentality still prevailed (as exemplified by my flinty New England avatar Calvin Coolidge), the gov't and everyone associated with it would have been pilloried for such a disgraceful economic performance.

Why the dollar sell-off  ? anybody?

Here's a possible explanation:

June trade deficit: $55.8 bil.

Largest drop in US exports in the last three years.

Story on the Yahoo! Financial homepage right now.

Gosh, you don't suppose that those rascally furriners would actually dial down their purchases of US corporate products simply because we have reprehensible political policies, do you?

That would be extremely unfair.

I mean, I'm sorry about the French wine thingy last year but they deserved it.

They were way out line suggesting that the decision to go to war should be taken seriously.

/*sarcasm off*/

I do believe the chickens are coming home to roost.

At a most inopportune time at that.

Why the dollar sell-off? ? anybody?

The Matrix wants to see a lower dollar

Ah but there's the rub all of the other little currencies are yipping and yapping not to be the only expensive puppy left in the pen. Globalization has assured a currency mutual destruction pact that will take years to play out. If they shoot Uncle Bucky in the forehead - they all die.

As to stagflation, well we might have it now, but it won't last. Prices in the grocery store yesterday were positvely crashing compared to 30 days ago. Milk is about to slip back under $2 here, lg eggs were 68 cents a dozen, even beef is coming back down. More dry and canned goods on "sale" than has been the recent norm. Celery and Rommaine lettucve at prices I haven't seen in a couple of years. London Broils were $2.08, Super lean burger $2.08 also, New Yorks, Rib and T-Bones all a dollar off their peaks and not on sale. The problem with stagflation is you have to have commensurate income rises to support the inflation part of it. That ain't happening.

Yes but there's oil. Right now I think the pump price of gasoline is either rmanipulated (artificially lower by Shrubco edict) or the consumption is lower than reported. One or the other has to be occurring for pump prices not to be responding in a normal pattern. Unleaded reg here about $1.89 for the last 30 plus days.

Con-con numbers track the Dow like a puppy dog. I have personally noted our store traffic move with the Dow.

Just clearing the shelves to prepare for NEW sticker shock-stock!

B)

Archived