B4 The Bell Frieday September 17

Hiding Bear

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the election looms closer and it becomes increasingly apparent that Bush will be re-elected, the feelings of frustration and despair around here are increasing. I feel it too. I just hope that we can all stick to the issues, and avoid making the debate personal. When it does get personal - and it will - let us have thick skins about it. I fear that we will lose some valued contributors to this board.

The true value of this place IMO, is intelligent and honest discussion of the issues. If we all end up thinking the same way, the discussion is over. We will become a mutual admiration society, back slapping and congratulating each other on our own brilliance. There is no value in that.

I share your outrage.

So do I.

My uncle, in from Maine for the holidays, a Harvard law grad from 45 years ago, told me that he expected a civil war in the event that Shrub wins.

Polls show the same pattern as in the last election. Support for Kerry is in New England, the mid Atlantic, the Pacific coast, and a couple of North Central states.

All the rest of the country -- the interior West, the South, the Plains, most of the Midwest -- is for Bush.

A civil war would end up partitioning the U.S. like India was in 1947-- Amerika as a big blob in the center; East Clintonstan on the NY-Boston axis; West Clintonstan on the Seattle-L.A. axis.

The isolated Peoples Republic of Minnesota prolly would have to join Manitoba or something ... :( :unsure: :blink:

Yobob...

Decaf.

I loved your rant...and you're not going anywhere!

I share your outrage.

Without caffine and nicotine my blood pressure would be zero. :lol:

And you're right I'm not going anywhere, but I may become less reluctant to bitch slap people until they wake up and smell the coffee, which for most, unfortunately, will be never.

Yesterday I had a repairman show up to do some fiberglass work on a unit. he pulled his truck near the unit and then opened the door and had Rush blaring at a level that almost broke windows. I calmly walked up and told him not to be disturbed by the loud bang he was about to hear. I was just going to turn down his radio with my pistol.

No one wants to accept personal responsibilty anymore. The minute something goes wrong, it's "what is the government going to do about it." , not "what do I have to do to straighten this out." It's like people living in Florida and repeatedly getting mowed down by hurricanes or similarly people living in flood plains and repeatedly getting flooded out. Hey dummy, either accept the risk on your own or don't live there! Don't ask me to bail you out through tax dollars and ever increasing insurance premiums that don't have a damn thing to do with where I live.

We have over emphasised "education", which really in most cases doesn't foster independent thought, but primarily reinforces the status quo. Go to school get your little piece of paper confirming you are one of the consensus. People who simply work for a living like a plumber or a mechanic are demeaned as being inferior because they didn't get an education. Bull shit. They have a far better education based in reality as opposed to theory.

As the election looms closer and it becomes increasingly apparent that Bush will be re-elected, the feelings of frustration and despair around here are increasing. I feel it too. I just hope that we can all stick to the issues, and avoid making the debate personal. When it does get personal - and it will - let us have thick skins about it. I fear that we will lose some valued contributors to this board.

The true value of this place IMO, is intelligent and honest discussion of the issues. If we all end up thinking the same way, the discussion is over. We will become a mutual admiration society, back slapping and congratulating each other on our own brilliance. There is no value in that.

Worth repeating.

:huh:

DJ WSJ.COM: US Stocks Seen Higher On Ford, Texas Instruments

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Stocks may climb at the open Friday, boosted by Ford

Motor's upbeat earnings outlook and Texas Instruments' stock plans.

Ford said early Friday it is raising its third-quarter earnings outlook by 10

cents a share due to a strong performance at its financial-services operations.

www.dj.com

Thank you Yobob. To all "pro-lifers" - I think each of you should declare your willingness to adopt an HIV positive baby from its 14 year old Mississippi mother, raise him and put him through college.

Wow, what a giant oversimplification of the issue. Why don't we kill all the mentally retarded babies then? They are certainly a drain on society. What if its an 18 year old girl, can the baby live then? What about other diseases? Maybe genetic testing or manipulation is the answer? What about unwanted healthy babies?

The issue for me is that we really don't know when life begins. We do not have the means to answer that question yet. We also have the know how to prevent most of these unwanted pregnancies. Given these facts, we are morally obligated to err on the side of caution and favor the lives of the unborn.

The time to choose is prior to sexual intercourse. Post pregnancy choice is, in most cases, an obfuscation of responsibility. Not acceptable IMO.

After reading the list of Bush's accomplishments, I almost threw-up and this might just be my last post since I will probably piss-off every one equally.

Yes Yobob,thanks for going to the trouble and eloquently at that.Doesn't piss me off.At least you went to the trouble of formulating arguments against it,while I viewed it as an insurmountable pile of dung that would tax my brain to no avail!

In the case of that post I would have preferred a short excerpt and a link to the Ministry of Propaganda site it came from B)

Bush rejects bleak Iraq intelligence assessment

By Guy Dinmore in Washington

Published: September 16 2004 07:33 | Last updated: September 16 2004 18:55

Iraq is making broad economic and political progress, the Bush administration insisted on Thursday, responding to a leaked intelligence report setting out a bleak assessment of Iraq's prospects up to the end of next year.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/a373d488-07a9-11d...000e2511c8.html

Democracy is so beautiful.

Media wars leave Bush ahead in dirty politics

By Lionel Barber, US Managing Editor

Published: September 16 2004 20:26 | Last updated: September 16 2004 20:26

Anyone who wants to understand why George W. Bush enjoys a lead in the polls in this year's presidential election should look at how Republicans are outsmarting the Democrats in dirty politics.

Consider the furore over a CBS News broadcast featuring documents that purportedly raised new issues about Mr Bush's service in the National Guard during the Vietnam war. These included charges that his record was "sugar-coated" because his father was then chairman of the Republican National Committee.

Within hours of last week's Sixty Minutes broadcast, CBS was hounded by conservative bloggers and the Republican party's rebuttal machine, each attacking the authenticity of the documents. CBS, led by Dan Rather, its 72-year-old news anchor, found itself defending a "dodgy dossier" rather than trumpeting a blockbuster scoop.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/570f6284-0816-11d...000e2511c8.html

Archived