Weak-end thread June 4-6.

Gee, everyone's so cheerful :lol: around here. This'll bring you down (Amanita guy):

http://www.amanita.at/e/e-new.htm

Thanks, Drano, that was interesting.

One astrologer had predicted that Bush would not participate in

the coming election but not due to death.

I will see if I can still find it.

Interesting to compare the different viewpoints. :o

Sherlock

Sherlock i tried to connect with you the other day but the underlined adreess failed to do so--as Dok can attest i'm really bad at following aplpha numeric intructions ont he internet and once wqas off the stool for two months because i couldn't make the boeing 747 paypal instructional manual work for me --I would suggest sending me message in my mail box---

bdrech :ph34r: :ph34r: :cry: --by the way did you get a chance to read constantpated essay on the frausd within the insurance industry--Its a work of forensic art and a model to imitate

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mdporter, I'm not Doc, but I like to talk about hockey :P

Personally I think hockey's TV woes are due to the fact that its playoffs happen at the same time basketball's do.

I agree, that is a problem.

Hockey is the 4th major sport because it has a barrier to entry at all levels to play it. Not so with basketball, football, or baseball. Here is san jose amateur hockey is very popular, and the rinks are all booked with hockey from october-march. It is pretty popular for both kids and adults. An hour of ice will cost you $300.

That is the problem right there. I can go shoot hoops for free. Hockey and other ice sports (like speedskating, which I do) is not for poor people.

That was my point yesterday. In most of Canada and some of the northern States, ice is plentiful. Lakes freeze over in winter, most public parks have outdoor hockey rinks that can be played for free, and fathers flood backyards to make ice rinks. The barrier to entry is therefore exactly the same as any other sport - a minimum of equipment, meaning a skates, a stick, and a puck (touque optional ;) ) When kids play a sport, they become fans of the sport.

For me, part of the joy of watching a professional sport is the awe that I feel for the skill of the players. Who hasn't attempted a 3 point shot or a slam dunk? How about a 60 yard bomb with a football? Who hasn't tried to hit a baseball over the fence? So when I watch the pros doing these things, I know how difficult it is, and it makes me admire their skill.

I get the same feelings when I watch hockey for the same reasons. I have tried a 100 mph slapshot. I've taken a bodycheck. I have even tried the old "drag the puck behind me when the defensemen tries to poke it away, then kick it past him though my legs and get a breakaway" manouver. If you haven't tried those things, then it's no wonder the game doesn't invoke admiration and wonder when you watch it.

Also agree on the fighting, it adds nothing to the sport. It used to be worse, I remember going to LA Kings games which would degenerate into boxing matches. Not terribly exciting.

Fighting is a matter of opinion I guess. It's not highbrow, but it's entertainment for me ;) From the critics, what I usually hear is something like "I remember a game 4 years ago when there was a giant fight and it went on for 20 minutes. It was sick." Well, ya - it happens, but I bet there have been more bench clearing brawls in baseball in the past 10 years than in hockey - but hockey has the bad reputation. Most hockey games contain no fights at all, and the fights that do occur are usually over in less than 1 minute - and they serve a purpose. But again, you would have had to play it to really understand.

Anyway, I know I'm going on and on about this, and I apologize to the board for it. Hockey is a romatic affair for me. Many of my best memories of my father and uncles were watching or playing hockey together, much like baseball or football for many Americans.

GO FLAMES! (only bacause the Oilers are out)

Why is there hardly anyone following one of my favorite sports:water ballet? When I was a child two of my favorite people were Johnnie Weismueller and Esther Williams both of whomexcelled in aquatic sports--

So enamoured was i of their skills that i secretly wished that Johnny(Tarzan) would divorce Jane and Marry Esther --a fantasy that remained unfullfilled

But seriously have you ever watched a couple of dozen beauties in bathing suits rotating in water as if they were on solid ground like the Radio City Rocketts--

If someone could set them up as teams from say ten cities and competing with each other it would make the entrepeneuer a millionaire

The excitement of the flower patterns and the high kicking just before submerging and then mysteriously arising from the deep with smiles a mile long on their faces would fullfill a deep need of sports fans all over the world

And as the league progressed we could provide them with lacross sticks and slowly get them to evolve athletically by incorporating incremental bits of violence--

At first innocent slapping; then later minor punching; then karate chopping then adding a dash of nudity with both men and woman in mixed mattches--then night games with subaquatic lighting--then permitting the fans to interact with the teams by throwing them bits of food --catching to be rewarded either by points or gifts-

Then a polynesian ceremonial containing torchlight parades mixed with western pyrotechnics and UL licenced flamethrowers

And finally creating artificial volcanoes with real oil burning flames designed to receive the losing teams whose bodies would be hurled into the inferno to the tune of Wagner's Gotterrdamerung--

Who could resist this carnival???

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: :cry: Hey BD being incapable of hi-tech ventures how did your low-drech enterprise --recycling paper machet baby diapers--turn out??

When pushing on a string of consumer debt demand is no longer an option...

It's not the debtors who are reliqufied,it's the creditors.

By the banks,for the banks.

We'll just make the numbas larger,that's all.

Ever seen a 50 billion rupiah note?

Heck,that's a whole lotta zeros,the local indigenous personnel seems to able to cope OK with 'em though.

The largest note is 100,000 Rupiah. Wasn't so long ago 20,000 was as high as she went. Government was scared that the people would start to wonder why a note equivalent to an average month's salary was needed. Businessman were carrying around suitcases full of money. The attitude here is still to save money, save in US$. Money changers are everywhere. Gold is jewelry.

Pull out a gun and the other guy's gonna shoot you anyway.? Live by the sword, die by the sword.? I'm with Gandhi...

Actually Gandhi said the worst thing the British did was take away guns in India.

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control.

From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents,

unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and

exterminated.

--------------------------------------------------------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. >From 1915

to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend

themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from

1939 to 1945, 13 million Jews and others who were

unable to defend themselves were rounded up and

exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948

to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to

defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From

1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to

defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971

to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend

themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From

1975 to 1977, one million 'educated' people, unable

to defend themselves, were rounded up and

exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in

the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in

Australia were forced by new law to surrender firearms

by their own government, a program costing Australia

taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent

(yes, 44 percent!)

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with

firearms are now up 300 percent.

(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned

them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still

possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a

steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this

has changed drastically upward in the past 12

months,since the criminals now are guaranteed that

their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in

break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain

how public safety has decreased, after such

monumental effort and expense was expended in

"successfully ridding Australian society of guns."

-------------------------------------------------------

The Australian experience and the other historical

facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the American evening

news or hear our president, governors or other

politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives

and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only

Heck,that's a whole lotta zeros,the local indigenous personnel seems to able to cope OK with 'em though.

I'm talking about the US not India...

I've tried to explain for two years how the system works and the mechanics involved...

pointless...since the vast majority of you are devout followers of the just think positive inflation forever religion...any deflation is a negitive concept which is rejected...

You either refuse to comprehend or can't...The amount of zeros is not a factor at all...

And of course lets say that an actual hyperinflation which you know zero about the mechanics of were to be effectively started...It would last a few months to a year and be followed by a hyperdeflationary implosion anyway...

First they will add 1 zero the first month then 2 zeros then 4 zeros then 8 zeros then 16 zeros the 32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096,8192,16,384 get the picture?

Lets say a hot dog costs a $1 at the start...and at the end it costs $1 plus 16,384 zeros...zeros mean nothing...or you think that zeros mean something?

You believe you will find salvation in nothing...

The Rupiah is the currency of Indonesia, the Rupee is the currency of India. The Zloty is the currency of Poland and the currency of Viet Nam? The Dong.

I'm talking about the US not India...

I've tried to explain for two years how the system works and the mechanics involved...

pointless...since the vast majority of you are devout followers of the just think positive inflation forever religion...any deflation is a negitive concept which is rejected...

You either refuse to comprehend or can't...The amount of zeros is not a factor at all...

And of course lets say that an actual hyperinflation which you know zero about the mechanics of were to be effectively started...It would last a few months to a year and be followed by a hyperdeflationary implosion anyway...

First they will add 1 zero the first month then 2 zeros then 4 zeros then 8 zeros then 16 zeros the 32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096,8192,16,384 get the picture?

Lets say a hot dog costs a $1 at the start...and at the end it costs $1 plus 16,384 zeros...zeros mean nothing...or you think that zeros mean something?

You believe you will find salvation in nothing...

The Rupiah is the currency of Indonesia, the Rupee is the currency of India. The Zloty is the currency of Poland and the currency of Viet Nam? The Dong.

Oopsie...well I'm not talking about Indonesia either...

The first year results are now in:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent

This puts it in perspective:

Aust Bureau of Statistics

During 1997, firearms were used in 23 per cent (75 of 322) of murders, 28 per cent (90 of 318) of attempted murders, 2.6 per cent (1 of 38) of manslaughters, 24 per cent (2,183 of 9,015) of armed robberies, 3.6 per cent (20 of 557) of kidnappings or abductions, 0.7 per cent (806 of 123,940) of assaults, and 0.2 per cent (33 of 14,138) of sexual assaults.

Now if everyone could just walk in and buy a gun I think those percentages would soar... I would be interested to see US statistics, for instance what percentage of armed holdups involve guns.. I bet it's much higher.

As for those other examples of groups being exterminated because they had no guns, that is just crap. They would have been killed anyway, would just have taken a little longer and they may have had the satisfaction of taking a few of their killers with them..

Actually Gandhi said the worst thing the British did was take away guns in India.

Yes he did say that but I was referring to his policy of passive resistance:

http://www.indiaspace.com/quotes.htm

Passive resistance is a method of securing rights by personal suffering; it is the reverse of resistance by arms.

Passive resistance is an all-sided sword; it can be used anyhow; it blesses him who uses it and him against whom it is used.

Passive resistance is a misnomer for nonviolent resistance.

Passive resistance, unlike nonviolence, has no power to change men' s hearts.

The sword of passive resistance does not require a scabbard.

Jesus Christ, Daniel, and Socrates represented the purest form of passive resistance or soul force.

Hyper buddy,look pal,I've been working on the 'flation endgame for just as long as you have, probably longer.I,unlike you,realize that it is just a social experiment.The money doesn't have to have value,who says it has to have any value?

It's you who doesn't get the concept,the money(FRNs) is spread whirld wide,not just in the USSA!

This experiment has never been done before,all currencies are "backed " by USD dolla debt.It's all PAPER and/or ETHER digits that can printed to "buyback" any or all debts at any kind of premium to" face value" .It's just a big game,that's all.

The above gold IS the money,doh.

It's hyperinflation or mASS chaos,which one do you think they will resort to?

Sheesh,get a grip.

How about the CONSTITUTION? :cry:

Archived