B4 The Bell Turdsday April 1,2004

Guest yobob1

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jobless Whose Unemployment Benefits Have Ended Make Plea to Oklahoma Senator

Apr. 1 - More than 100 Oklahomans who have run out of federal unemployment benefit extensions but remain jobless have sent a letter to U.S. Sen. Don Nickles asking for his help in extending the program.

Nickles, R-Ponca City, voted against an extension in February and remains firm in his opposition.

"During previous recessions, the federal government has provided unemployment assistance, but never when the (national) unemployment rate is down to 5.6 percent," he said.

Am I reading this correctly? That the unemployment rate is essentially too good for Nickles to feel an extension is warranted???

What about all those thousands who stopped looking for work and have disappeared from the unemployment tally? Is this a convenient oversight that allows people like Nickles to justify their position?

If the government were to start reporting some honest numbers, it would soon be evident that the economy has not been recovering quite as robustly as many people imagine.

Cheers - Bar Room Stock Market Talk

. . . The Nasdaq would have never have gone to 10,000. Consider that many of the companies making up Nasdaq 5,000 do not even exist any more. Remember that Wall Street sold those companies to the public. No business plan. No plan at all except for selling shares to the public. When the Nasdaq was at 5,000, many of these companies were ?worth? tens of billions of dollars. El Cito (remember the commercial of the guy trying to urinate into the tall urinal with stilts?), Dr. Koop.com, Firepond.com, Metrocom, Internet.com (an actual company), Looksmart, Flag Telecom, Lifeminders.com, the list goes on and on and on. I keep a March 2000 Barron's just as a reminder. And these "companies" were sold to the public by the likes of the most well regarded investment banks in the world. And the only ones who were personally punished for these crimes were a few scapegoats like Jack Grubman, and Henry Blodget. What happened to those two worked just great in personalizing the situation to the public and making them feel like justice was served. But these guys didn?t operate in a vacuum like the mainstream sound-bite media would have you believe. Look here. I have a March 20, 2000 Barron?s. On page 27 is a read herring for the sale of 6 million shares of ?Avenue A? stock at $24/share. The investment bankers involved were Morgan Stanley, Smith Barney, Thomas Weisel, Dain Rauscher, Janney Montgomery Scott, Raymond James, U.S. Bancorp, First Union, Edward Jones and Wit Soundview. So who was held personally responsible for this ill-fated secondary offering? Just the public who lost practically all of their money was ultimately held responsible for that one. And they got what they deserved, although I can?t say the same for the bankers. There were hundreds of cases like that one too! So for the Nasdaq to have gone to 10,000 would have required that these fraud businesses stay in business, and even grow. And even in that crazy emotionally charged time of excess, this was totally impossible.

Jobless Whose Unemployment Benefits Have Ended Make Plea to Oklahoma Senator

In a statement, Nickles said providing unemployment insurance is a state-run function that is supplemented periodically by the federal government. Congress has extended the program twice since it started in 2002.

"This current federal support is unprecedented in its cost and duration," Nickles said. "It should not become a permanent federal program."

Nickles said 8 million people have been helped by the program, which has cost the federal government $32 billion.

"During previous recessions, the federal government has provided unemployment assistance, but never when the (national) unemployment rate is down to 5.6 percent," he said.

Uh...let's review what this is really saying about the unemployment numbers.

NEVER BEFORE IN HISTORY has the Federal Government funded extended unemployment benefits of this cost or duration with the unemployment rate this low...

WHY?

WHAT'S DIFFERENT?

ONLY ONE THING CAN EXPLAIN IT...

THE NUMBER IS FALSE...IT'S A LIE...THERE IS NO OTHER EXPLANATION.

Am I reading this correctly? That the unemployment rate is essentially too good for Nickles to feel an extension is warranted???

What about all those thousands who stopped looking for work and have disappeared from the unemployment tally? Is this a convenient oversight that allows people like Nickles to justify their position?

If the government were to start reporting some honest numbers, it would soon be evident that the economy has not been recovering quite as robustly as many people imagine.

I think one of the problems is the fact it is an election year and Bush has to some how sell the idea that the economy is getting better and that job creation is just around the corner. If the Republicans cave in and offer more benefits they would be acknowledging that things aren't great and tax cuts were a waste of time. Just a while back I checked out the RNC website and incredibly the chairman of the party was gloating over the fact that the unemployment rate at falledn from 6.5 to 5.8%. Even had the gall to say that it was one of the biggest drops ever over a 2 yr period.

Sled - in posting all those layoffs, do you think there has been a pickup in the job losses in the past couple of weeks? It seems like it to me, though I haven't run any numbers, so it could also be my bearish slant.

The 2500 Gateway jobs and the 800 from Johnson Controls are not insignificant, but there have also been a lot of other, less conspicuous ones.

I also noticed in this morning's unemployment report, that there were 3000 additional but unexplained initial claims in OK, which sounds kinda high to me.

As I wrote this morning, last week's initial claims were quietly revised upwards by 6k, which allowed them to report this week's change as favourable. It will be interesting to see how they revise today's number. After all, last week's revision marks the fifth consecutive upward initial claims revision.

I don't know what's going to be reported tomorrow morning, but I am expecting the employment picture to start looking a little more dismal in the not too distant future.

Dogsie, I think you're right, though it's a terrible shame that the fact that it's an election year allows them to sweep the bad news right under the carpet. As Plunger says, it's all a big lie.

I wonder how many chronically unemployed will be taken in sufficiently to still vote for Bush.

In a sick way, I almost want him to win. If he doesn't, he won't have to deal with the consequences of the financial mess he's created.

Madame Wrecked Him,

Last week I was ready to state that it looked like the layoff numbers were dropping. But since last Thursday I have noticed a pickup in the layoffs listed. I will posted the HRLive Layoff report tomorrow after 5:00.

Off the top of my head the biggies this past week were

MCI 4000

Northrup 200

Weyth 440

Abbott 500

And today Detroit schools 3200

Plus there are 1000's that I call trickle down that are hitting besides teachers. Police, Firemen, city, county, state, fed employees. And I have notices lots of hospitals, nursing homes, day care centers, etc are being hit also.

Hammer time......

longs still smokin to the upside....

Ready to short the open tomorrow once the false numbers are released....my opinion is it gets sold either way...lookin for a gap open then down

Heard a republican shill this weekend crowing about the "400,000 people that make their living on ebay that dont get counted as employed"......LMAO

How about that MAGS.......brought to you all at 8 and change....now crossing at 22....to bad my buy didnt fill....not letting anyone on board ....twice the float turning over every day

As B4 has pointed out .....this market aint for children

Those of you with brass kahunas ....the short of a lifetime will be here soon......T A S E R

TRADE SAFE

The esteemed Dr. Rice revealed that she is as stupid as anyone in the White House ? with the possible exception of George. "I don't think anybody could have predicted ... that they would try to use an airplane as a missile," said the National Security Advisor in the spring of 2002, when Congress finally began delving into how 9/11 could have happened.

Two years later, even Fox news viewers know that al-Qaeda?s martyrdom-seekers talked and plotted about little else than using airplanes as weapons against the United States in the years and months before 9/11 -- facts known at the time even to serious newspaper readers as well as the world?s intelligence services.? Rice marinates in the putrid stew, and even the helping hands of the 9/11 Commissioners -- who have repeatedly said they are not seeking to assign blame to anyone -- cannot save the last threads of her reputation as an intellect. Politically, Rice is burnt.

We know that Rice was, by virtue of her position, the person most culpable for dismissing the threat from al-Qaeda:

I asked, on January 24 in writing to Condi, urgently for a meeting on cabinet level -- the principal's committee -- to review the [anti-terror] plan and I was told I can't have that. It had to go to the deputies. They had a principals meeting on September 4. Contrast that with the principal's meeting on Iraq, on February 1. So what was urgent for them was Iraq. Al-Qaeda was not important to them. -- Former anti-terror czar Richard Clark, The Guardian.

And, thanks to former Treasury Secretary Paul O?Neill and others, we know that Rice and the rest of the oil-slicks at the White House chose to spend their pre-9/11 quality time studying petro-maps of Iraq.

When Rice faces the 9/11 Commission, as early as next week, she will hold the administration in her not too capable hands. Unlike George Bush and Vice President Cheney, who will have each other for company, Rice will speak alone and under oath.

http://www.vheadline.com/readnews.asp?id=16884

Tanks, Sled.

There will most likely be a lag of a couple of weeks before the current announcements start hitting the unemployments stats, so we should start seeing it soon though not immediately.

Last month's 21k new jobs were all created by govt, while the increase in public sector layoffs suggests even this domain is not immune.

Archived