B4 The Bell, Tuezelday, June 29

B4 - what has me confused is, what are all these peak oil people like Matt Simmons, Colin Campbell, Richard Heinberg, Michael Ruppert, et al worrying about? They are evidently wasting their time as Canada has all the energy the world needs to put off worrying about energy for another 100 years.

What has me very worried, in addition, is exactly WTF the US is doing galavanting about the ME if indeed all the energy we need is right next door in a friendly and modern nation.

From a gov't POV depleting the energy resources of more hostile areas before moving to more benign nations makes sense, that is while energy resources are still relatively cheap. Conserve the resources closest to you whilst consuming those further away. However this theory this is shot when examining the history of oil exploration and extraction after WWII. An exhaustive examination of the panoramic history oil can be found in The Prize, by Daniel Yergin. ISBN 0-671-79932-0

I agree with that strategy, and I've read The Prize, but if this were the true motivation behind the escapade in Iraq, then I'm afraid to say it's been a colossal waste considering all the global goodwill we have pissed away. something still doesn't add up. I still reserve the right to believe that Bush and Co. are trying to invoke the rapture :P

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was some credible discussion on the PruBear last night suggesting that the oil sands in Canada are quite viable on an EROEI basis, and while not as cost effective as Middle Eastern conventional oil, are not ridiculously expensive either, with processing technology improving by leaps and bounds. And there's lots of energy up there. LOTS. (And, who really cares about the environmental impact anyhow.)

So I'm not sure which world I'd rather live in. The one that says peak oil is here, and industrial civilization is toast by 2020. Or the one that says there's 50 more years worth of growth potential, but our government is taking over significant parts of the ME anyway, for "other reasons".

I've referred to this a few times in various forums and nobody commented on its credibility one way or another

"Anything into Oil" by Brad Lemley

The title is self-explanatory and among the claims it makes is that this simple technology has the ability to turn turkey guts for example into 4 BILLION (Yep that's a B) barrels of the purest oil per year--

Buffet's son is one of its leading investors and currently CONAGRA has a plant going in Mossouri while Philadelphia is almost going into production

And Oh Yes ther main raw material is every piece of Carbonacepus piece of Sh*t in the world--

It sounds likje a tale out of the Arabian nights and the only reason I'm mentioning it is because Buffet is in it; "money sticks to money"

Beardrech :ph34r: :cry:

we discussed this pretty thoroughly when the Discover magazine article came out in spring 2003. This is a neat technology (if it's everything it is claimed to be), but I'd put it on the scale of wind power in the face of peak oil - nice, it helps, but not a solution to the big picture problem. Keep in mind that most of the oil and NG that comes out of the ground gets burned for fuel straight out. The smaller portion that gets caught up in corn stalks or in plastic containers, has only been detoured on its trip to its final entropic destination. The TDP process only helps complete that journey.

Mjkts, It's about oil and the rapture. The road to hell may be paved with good intentions but the road to heaven is greased with Iraqi crude.

:o :o

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing like a 10:25 late night warning!

AutoZone interim Q4 sales down

By Carolyn Pritchard, CBS MarketWatch.com

Last Update: 10:25 PM ET June 29, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) - AutoZone said late Tuesday that its fourth-quarter, same-store sales to date were down compared to last year.

AutoZone Q4 same-store sales down in first 7 weeks

The country's largest auto parts retailer said same-store sales in the first seven weeks of the period were down 1 percent, and same-store retail sales were down 3 percent.

There was some credible discussion on the PruBear last night suggesting that the oil sands in Canada are quite viable on an EROEI basis, and while not as cost effective as Middle Eastern conventional oil, are not ridiculously expensive either, with processing technology improving by leaps and bounds. And there's lots of energy up there. LOTS. (And, who really cares about the environmental impact anyhow.)

So I'm not sure which world I'd rather live in. The one that says peak oil is here, and industrial civilization is toast by 2020. Or the one that says there's 50 more years worth of growth potential, but our government is taking over significant parts of the ME anyway, for "other reasons".

I've referred to this a few times in various forums and nobody commented on its credibility one way or another

"Anything into Oil" by Brad Lemley

The title is self-explanatory and among the claims it makes is that this simple technology has the ability to turn turkey guts for example into 4 BILLION (Yep that's a B) barrels of the purest oil per year--

Buffet's son is one of its leading investors and currently CONAGRA has a plant going in Mossouri while Philadelphia is almost going into production

And Oh Yes ther main raw material is every piece of Carbonacepus piece of Sh*t in the world--

It sounds likje a tale out of the Arabian nights and the only reason I'm mentioning it is because Buffet is in it; "money sticks to money"

Beardrech :ph34r: :cry:

we discussed this pretty thoroughly when the Discover magazine article came out in spring 2003. This is a neat technology (if it's everything it is claimed to be), but I'd put it on the scale of wind power in the face of peak oil - nice, it helps, but not a solution to the big picture problem. Keep in mind that most of the oil and NG that comes out of the ground gets burned for fuel straight out. The smaller portion that gets caught up in corn stalks or in plastic containers, has only been detoured on its trip to its final entropic destination. The TDP process only helps complete that journey.

Anything Into Oil (new update)

?The latest target date for opening the Carthage plant is now this fall. Engineers have already run the plant at capacity for as much as 12 hours at a time, and preliminary tests show the equipment works efficiently. Out of 100 Btus in a given unit of feedstock, only 15 Btus are used to power the process, with the remainder residing in oil, gas, and chemicals. Most important, the oil produced in these tests easily meets the specifications for diesel fuel. ?The main process chemistry does exactly what we thought it would do,? says Appel.?

http://www.discover.com/issues/jul-04/feat...thing-into-oil/

Why Waste-To-Energy Should Be In Any Country's Renewables Portfolio Standard

http://www.energypulse.net/centers/article...ay.cfm?a_id=272

Ultimately we will need to use any and all energy sources we can find/create.

What happens when our fine, single-residence homes can no longer have

lights, heat, air conditioning, stoves, and all those wonderful appliances because

its just too expensive or not even an option. Where/how would people live?

Big energy efficient dormitories? LOL

DPS Budget Troubles Worse Than Expected

By Mary Conway

Web produced by Jenny DiDomenico

June 29, 2004

Another $200 million in budget and job cuts must be made in the Detroit Public Schools, district officials said Tuesday.

Due to a deepening financial crisis in the Detroit Public Schools, the district now reportedly has a budget shortfall of $250 million, triple its earlier estimates.

Administrators have already cut 2,100 jobs, including 1,400 teachers. Now, they may cut 1100 more jobs.

http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/art...2999105,00.html

El Paso Eliminates 173 Jobs in Effort to Rebound From Steep Decline in Production

HOUSTON (AP) -- El Paso Corp., trying to rebound from a steep production drop and misreported reserves, said Tuesday it has slashed 17 percent of its production payroll and expects stable natural gas production over the next two years.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040629/el_paso_production_6.html

Archived