Liquidity tsunami

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Money printing result in graphic form...

MI-BN582_SUBPRI_D_20120215185401.jpg

Same old, same old

[1]Steal The Assets

The Federal Reserve Bank of New York recently sold subprime bonds it took on in the 2008 bailout of American International Group Inc...

[2] Sell to "friends" on the cheap

The New York Fed sold bonds with a face value of more than $13 billion to two Wall Street dealers via large-scale auctions, fetching more than $6 billion in cash.

[3] Friends finance purchase by borrowing money from seller @ 0% and then distribute inventory and pocket acres of diamonds virtually risk free

The banks—Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Credit Suisse Group AG—in turn have been reselling the bonds to investors including hedge funds, insurance companies and pension funds looking to lock in high yields over the next several years.

Urinal

From the WSJ article - bond investors are using ABX index to determine the relative value of individual sub-prime bonds!. Now, if LIBOR can be manipulated, why not the ABX?. But the saving grace is that, these investors are chasing truly high yields, not a few extra basis points. I salute Chairman Bernanke, who by decimating the interest rates on safe investments, and unleashing the liquidity tsunami, is successfully herding people into risk. GS and CS are simply book runners for the Fed, it would seem. I notice that "income" (both dividends and interest) is on everyone's radar. And then there are people (yours truly included) who are standing by, watching the "total return" train barreling past the station. By the way, when does the sub-prime ETF train arrive on platform A...

But the prices of many bonds haven't kept pace with the index in recent months, a reason many investors see value. According to Amherst data, a generic subprime bond issued in 2006 would fetch about 33 cents on the dollar lately—down from 45 cents in the spring of 2011, but up from 30 cents at its trough last year.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204062704577223473258237102.html?mod=ITP_moneyandinvesting_0

This really sucks,one of the greats....

Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter dies at 57

Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter, whose single for the New York Mets in the 1986 World Series touched off one of the most improbable rallies in baseball, died Thursday. He was 57.Carter was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor last May, two weeks after finishing his second season as coach at Palm Beach Atlantic University in Florida.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-obit-garycarter

That makes me really sad. Carter was a regular guy around the West Palm Beach area where I live half the year. He coached the baseball team at Palm Beach Atlantic University, a small school located in downtown West Palm. He was a huge star with the Montreal Expos. Even my wife, who is from Quebec, was a fan of his. Many Quebeckers, New Yorkers, and baseball fans everywhere are really sad tonight.

Archived