World Stock Markets Trading Discussion - Testy trepidation

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't have a sandy story. i stayed home and watched on tv. rain and wind were not a big deal in my part of manhattan, and we are on high ground (park ave in the 90s), at least 60-75 ft elevation from the east river. never lost power, as was the same for virtually all of manhattan above 42nd street.

i'm too old to be helping ventilate an ICU patient down 15 flights of stairs, so i didn't try to go down to nyu for the evac. i called two of the receiving hospitals uptown to offer help, they said they were cool, with plenty of young doctors and students working extra shifts.

the issue of emergency generators in the basement used to be a 'trick question' on the board examination; to fix in your mind to have some contingency planning anytime you were caring for ventilator patients. i was surprised nyu had not relocated some generators upstairs, as they had done next door at bellevue (when they built a new pavillion).

my dad was involved in disaster planning for the state highway dept back in california. he helped me develop a preparation mindset since i was a kid. i was worried about high winds and hours of severe rains breaking windows or overflowing sewers around my 5th floor apartment in a 10-story building, standing for about 100 years. it was hard for me to picture a worst-case scenario short of a fire forcing me into the street. i was worried about friends in battery park city and in brooklyn.

i also worried about philly. thought your city would get soaked--apparently not to bad. man, the nj shore and AC, another story.

w?s=%5EAORD

A bearish one for All Ords which closed -1.2%. Most sectors closed -1% plus led by Consumer Staples -1.6% and Financials -1.4%. Gold succumbed to the bearish mood finishing -0.5%.

Asia more bullish: China +1.8%, Honkers +0.5%, India -0.2% and Nikkers +0.2%.

On to UK/Europe:

image;size=239x110

image;size=239x110

image;size=239x110

By now I think those squirrels must be getting totally medieval on TJ's ass:

935d4a04-30da-452b-a3e8-5946cd6151ef.jpg

Or maybe

Superstorm Sandy: fears of 'ratpocalypse' in New York

Hurricane Sandy has led to fears that the floodwaters could lead to 'ratpocalypse' in New York, with thousands of them rising from the sewers and onto the streets.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9647763/Superstorm-Sandy-fears-of-ratpocalypse-in-New-York.html

Howard- Thanks for your story! When I lived in Manhattan I was at 90th and First. It was a fringe neighborhood then. New building at the time. The bodega at the corner wasn't selling groceries. Or not much groceries.

Archived