Bond Splosion

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Game is Breaking Down- Professional Edition

by Lee Adler, Wednesday, May 27, 2009, in Money and The Fed, Professional Edition |

|Comments (0) Edit

The

Treasury market got bombed today in what could be turning into a crash.

Yields soared in spite of near record levels of demand at today’s

auctions. The problem clearly isn’t demand. It’s supply, and that

problem will not be going away any time soon. Click here to download complete report in pdf format (Professional Edition Subscribers). Try

the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that

time, you don’t find the information useful, I will give you a full

refund. It’s that simple. Click here for more information.

Courtesy of Denninger:

tnx-x.png

As a trade, this seems too easy to me. The Treasury has a ton of supply coming this week. Everyone knows it. FCBs are buying and even that isn't keeping yields down. So buy TNX and make money. Why wasn't this priced in more quickly? Who was taking the other side of this trade?

The only thing I can come up with is that they were expecting the Fed to monetize a lot more of it, hence the dollar puking last week.

Many tanks for any thoughts. :)

Then there was this bit of silliness today from Faber

U.S. Inflation to Approach Zimbabwe Level, Faber Says

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=avgZDYM6mTFA

Not unless wages go up too Mark. Who is going to buy gas at $100 a gallon and how many happy meals are going to be sold at $75?

Anywho, because the dislocation is in the bond arena it's mostly invisible. Interesting times that's for sure.

Courtesy of Denninger:

tnx-x.png

As a trade, this seems too easy to me. The Treasury has a ton of supply coming this week. Everyone knows it. FCBs are buying and even that isn't keeping yields down. So buy TNX and make money. Why wasn't this priced in more quickly? Who was taking the other side of this trade?

The only thing I can come up with is that they were expecting the Fed to monetize a lot more of it, hence the dollar puking last week.

Many tanks for any thoughts. :)

The bond market seems to be asking for QE II. They had better hope they don't get what they want or Jicklass just might be right about the metals going parabolic now. I am an extreme skeptic on that.

I am short a big slug, for me, SRS, under 20 yesterday near the close.

Ooops. I left out the Mortgage Apps update in the Fed Report. It has now been revised to include that section. Please revisit if you have already downloaded.

Ooops. I left out the Mortgage Apps update in the Fed Report. It has now been revised to include that section. Please revisit if you have already downloaded.

What does the Treasury auction schedule look like for next week Doc?

Obviously I was wrong thinking they could pull off a little rally this week once this weeks supply was eaten. Quite ominous.

The bond market seems to be asking for QE II. They had better hope they don't get what they want or Jicklass just might be right about the metals going parabolic now. I am an extreme skeptic on that.

I am short a big slug, for me, SRS, under 20 yesterday near the close.

Thanks Jorma. I plan to hang on to my PMs in case all hell breaks loose, but it sounds like I can also stick some money in a short bond fund and leave it there for years. The game of "print money to suppress yields" seems to be running out of ammo at last. If anyone else has thoughts on such funds they would be much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone and apologies for the basic questions :)

Hm, after some searching it looks like I should clarify. By short bond fund, I meant one that shorts bonds, not one that invests in short-duration bonds.

Here is a mortgage rate chart I stole from Zero Hedge.

http://zerohedge.blogspot.com/2009/05/2s10...cord.html#links

The 2 year/ 10 year spread went to a record as well.

TJ will love this breaking news story,The effect is finally being felt in stocks which are getting pounded. Amusingly, while yesterday Crapvision had a BREAKING NEWS: MARKET SURGES alert for 4 hours straight, for some odd reason the MARKET PLUNGES alert is nowhere to be found. SHOCKING. :lol:

What does the Treasury auction schedule look like for next week Doc?

Obviously I was wrong thinking they could pull off a little rally this week once this weeks supply was eaten. Quite ominous.

Just bills next week, including a 52 weeker to go along with the 13, 26, and 4 week. Then notes and bonds along with the bills the following week.

Check out the chart on year to year tax receipts.

Who is going to buy gas at $100 a gallon and how many happy meals are going to be sold at $75?

No one, but it doesn't matter IMHO. The US imports it's stuff, so when the dollar goes down, prices must go up - demand is irrelevant. Mostly empty shelves with the few products that remain priced out of reach of almost everyone - that's the extreme outcome - but I've oversimplified I'm sure.

Archived