Welcome party

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doc,

It looks like $63 billion will settle on 5/7 (Thursday), including the 70 day CMB auctioned off today.

Yeah, but the CMB is a rollover, not new money. I don't expect a CMB next week. The Treasury is pretty flush.

Welcome back Suds! Looks like the old Dow hit that 8300 level finally. That is a thick price pivot zone. Do we push through or stall? Gotta wait and see. Would have liked to seen a bigger doji than the one the daily chart is showing. Should get interesting over the next couple of weeks.

Cassi,

I've been watching your mech calls for a while now and have no idea what they are based on, but they seem to be pretty reliable. Google searches don't get me any closer. Can you give me a little more information on what they are or where I can learn more about them?

You probably weren't here before when this was mentioned. These are Cassi's own signals, developed on the basis of some kind of market internals. People buy a Trade Station or something like that, like KW has, and then spend years studying technical analysis and then backtesting various systems they develop to see which ones work. Once they hit on something that works in backtesting, they use it for a while in real time to see how it goes there. But they don't usually tell other people the specifics of their system's workings, because, well, why should they give many years of work away for free? I mean, some do, but most do not. Most people who develop such systems want them to keep working, after all the hard work they put into them, so they keep ahold of them. Once tons of people know about an unusual but accurate indicator, it sometimes stops working, because so many people are on the same side of the boat-- which would certainly be awful for the hard-working developer.

Every system works well at some times but not as well at other times. So I would caution you not to trade heavily using someone else's system, unless you are just using it for corroboration when it agrees with your own system or indicators you have found to be accurate.

Some of the pros here, including Cassi, may be able to recommend the best technical analysis books for you. I've read some but am no judge of the best.

Oh, Cass, I see you are here now. I didn't see your name down at the bottom earlier, so that is why I answered for you.

You probably weren't here before when this was mentioned. These are Cassi's own signals, developed on the basis of some kind of market internals. People buy a Trade Station or something like that, like KW has, and then spend years studying technical analysis and then backtesting various systems they develop to see which ones work. Once they hit on something that works in backtesting, they use it for a while in real time to see how it goes there. But they don't usually tell other people the specifics of their system's workings, because, well, why should they give many years of work away for free? I mean, some do, but most do not. Most people who develop such systems want them to keep working, after all the hard work they put into them, so they keep ahold of them. Once tons of people know about an unusual but accurate indicator, it sometimes stops working, because so many people are on the same side of the boat-- which would certainly be awful for the hard-working developer.

Every system works well at some times but not as well at other times. So I would caution you not to trade heavily using someone else's system, unless you are just using it for corroboration when it agrees with your own system or indicators you have found to be accurate.

Some of the pros here, including Cassi, may be able to recommend the best technical analysis books for you. I've read some but am no judge of the best.

Oh, Cass, I see you are here now. I didn't see your name down at the bottom earlier, so that is why I answered for you.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it wasn't Cassi's own proprietary system, but was afraid it might be. Now, I'm even more impressed.

Cap, that was right on and much more eloquent than I would have squeaked out.

BB, yes I roll my own indicators into systems, do all my own coding and have done so for years. It's a long road of abandoning things, coming back to them years later. I use advancers, decliners issues/volume, up/down volume (breadth in general), vola, put/call and others. Basically trying to keep it simple, summarizing what would be too much visual chart noise. Psychology of the trader has to match the psychology of the system or a great system will be rendered useless. The last two things were lessons learned the hard way.

I can't imagine it helps anyone, but if it does, I'm happy for it.

Archived