• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Learn how to play boys:)

President Obama's model for spending the nation out of recession is Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal. A better example is the Reaganite bearing of post-communist Poland.

In the midst of the global financial crisis, Poland's economy is forecast to grow by almost 1 percent. According to business economists and the Economist magazine, Poland likely will be the only European country with a growing gross domestic product in 2009. Germany's GDP is expected to shrink by more then 5 percent, Britain's by almost 4 percent, France's by 3 percent and the Czech Republic's by 3 percent. With a projected GDP drop of about 3 percent, the United States doesn't look any better.

Poland stands out because of its commitment to free-market policies. Facing down the global economic crisis, leaders in Warsaw have slashed marginal tax rates, cut government spending and temporarily suspended some government regulations.

On Jan. 1, Poland cut its top marginal tax rate from 40 percent to 32 percent - and that's just a start. Last year, Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk announced plans to move to a flat-tax rate of 19 percent in 2010 or 2011. What Poland understands is the importance of the marginal tax rate. The less you take from each additional zloty (the Polish currency) that people earn, the harder they work, the more they invest and the bigger the economic pie becomes.

Contrast Polish common sense with President Obama, who says ever-more government spending is the solution. According to him, "Economists on the left and right agree that the last thing the government should do during a recession is cut back on spending." Poland apparently found contrary advice from other economists. As revenue has fallen, the Polish government has done precisely what Mr. Obama says not to do: cut back on government spending. Warsaw lowered government spending by 6 percent this fiscal year, while Mr. Obama's budget is scheduled to soar by 32 percent.

Poles who suffered under communist central planning don't believe more government is the answer to an ailing economy. An old Polish proverb warns: "Do not push the river, it will flow by itself." That's one of many lessons Mr. Obama and his advisers could learn from this rare, growing European nation.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/a...lish-economics/

the last 20 mins of trading today were not good for ze bears. On ze 1 min chart there was zis nice setup (tunnel and 900 SMA at same level, thats quite the brick wall res), which favoured a test of 7900 from below and then death plunnge into the close. The opposite happend. Not bearish. Ze after life is not bearish either.

Technically it looks like we could see 7500 soon, but bears need a death dive tomorrow me thinks.

Bears should really go down on their knees and pray that this all is not just a broad consolidation.

All the action is a bunch of noise as the prop desks and big traders do their quant thing.

"Goldman principal program trading is now well over 5x compared to its customer and agency trades and a 150 million share pick up compared to last week. For yet another week, Goldman's principal trading represents more than half of all NYSE member firm principal transactions."

GS traded over 1 billion shares for its own account last week. I don't even know why they bother with customers anymore? It's a darn shame for them they can't lever 30 to 1 anymore. If they were not stuck at 5 to 1 or whatever the limit is who knows, they might be able to 'trade', and I use the term with heavy irony, 5 billion shares a week.

http://zerohedge.blogspot.com/2009/04/gold...s_23.html#links

I seriously doubt any entity since JP Morgan in his heyday had as much market power as GS.

They drag these big ETF complexes around by the nose and the averages follow, intraday. Doesn't mean much in the bigger picture is my conclusion. I am not bitching because it's losing me money. I don't have the tools or the liquidity in my account to scalp it as much as I'd like but I do OK using my gut, half baked forensics and tips from the real traders here.

It is going to take a mighty effort to reverse that beautiful rounding top on the S&P daily chart. Hats off to the pigmen if they can pull it off. I'm a little short now.

The only possible bullish surprise I see possible in the next week or two would be Ben pledging another Trillion or two. Not out of the question. I think they have a meeting next week. Why he hasn't been buying more with the 10 year bond price clawing to keep above the printing press start up day level is a mystery to me. The economy continues to crater. You need a microscope and a bottle of scotch to see anything positive. The market turn was the only thing that turned the so called sentiment up. I'm sure they, whoever they are, take your pick, are desperate to keep the averages up. If and when the day comes we start probing lower than the March lows................

Archived