Glossary Part 3

Tom O'brien's audience is all scared of golden bears/shorts attack today.

O'Brien told them GG is heading down to fill gap @ $13.2.

Since they'll all be waiting for it to go down there, GG will likely attack $14 again just to get the crowd chasing.

Nice move to buy miners on sale when everyone's scrambling to lock in mining profits ahead of their pals...

Follow newletters/pundits: get fleeced.

Think for yourself: make coin.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I said this would happen a few weeks ago on MTM. Probably everyone thought I was kidding - or political.

If the spending plan for Iraq goes through, and it looks like it will, there will be demand there for raw materials, gasoline, jet fuel, etc., that may not show up under 'domestic' use.

Mark - Thanks for quoting Lance. I think he has been on lately. Monday or by the latest Tuesday should see gold back on its uptrack - or else it just going to climb very slowly for a while. In regards to Equity Gold, the ETF for gold, they have yet to file an amended registration with the SEC - but it is expected soon. I would think they would need at least one more month after that for approvals. There will be one ETF for each country, probably to meet local tax and trading rules. For instance in the US, gold bullion is only an "investment" for tax purposes if held within the US. Non-investments are not allowed in IRAs, 401ks, etc.. Options, futures, and short sales are also not "investments", but some stooltowners have found brokers who handle them in an IRA anyway.

Slinger

The site you posted a link too earlier (on page 2) sends this message below. Stoolies may want to think twice before proceeding.

I think this notice is harmless. It probably means to didn't pay verisign the $400 (and that's per server) or so per year that it costs to renew their certificate. Your browser is just telling you maybe these guys aren't who they say they are.

Where's Igor?

Igor's gone AWOL.

He's feeding The BARE some CROCK about retraining w Dr Frankenstein butt he's chasin after some FRAULEIN in the OLD COUNTRY. Says he met her at Count Dracula's castle in Transylvania. Let that slip in one of his "reports" about retraining high in Frankenstein's cASS(_)_)tle?.

(HRFF had given Igor limited dispensation to go to PENNSYLVANIA and called him on it, once he caught on to what he was REALLY up to (you don't want to SEE the CELLULAR phone bill!!!) butt(_)_) he's (Igor) blaming it all on the malfunctioning cardboard TRANSMOGRIFICATION BOX. A "mixup" he says, (while he mixes it up with the FURisky FURaulein.)

The BARE told him if he doesn't git his ARSE back here in a HURRY, HE'LL be transmogrified, right along with TwoScrews, Mouse, Srf, PhatB and UDDERS.

Igor considers this all mere BLUSTER and is blowing HRFF off.

The BARE is, of course, FURiously FULMINATING at this unabASS(_)_)hed INSOUCIANCE and left to contend w aFURmentioned cardboard box inputs and controls all by hissELF. (FURtunately, HRFF hASS, quite presciently, assizhisWONT lolol, installed the MOST RIGOROUS PROTOCOLS in his laboratory to handle such crises.)

The MISS>>>FUR on the FURst attempted run of Mr. TwoScrews through the box was a CLOSE CALL, however. Nearly blew the whole lab SKY-HIGH, it did. That would have invited a lot of unwanted attention FURom the authorities, like Mr. ASS(_)_)crafty.

(Assitwuz, they had the entire FUR department there on THAT one, they did. A mASSive hose job was required to stop the foul, acrid smoke.)

Exceptional precautions are being taken FUR the second attempt at transmogrification of TwoScrews, an enterprise which hASS, sadly, become controversial: HRFF hASS received COUNTLESS entreaties, imprecations, etc. to ABANDON the endeavor UDDERLY. "A hopeless case", they say.

"Completely retrograde." "Incorrigible! Your wASSting? your TIME!"

and SEWon?

and SEW FURth.

The BARE, however, stoically PERSEVERES... His list of inputs and modifications thereof FUR TwoScrews is nearing completion. (He will post it here for review beFUR the attempt.) Lists FUR Mouse, Srf, Phat et al. are W.I.M.P.'s (Wurk In Multi-phase Process)

Noland's commentary struck The BARE ass redundant AGES ago and he ceased reading it, cuz of that AND cuz it's documentation of continued obscenely excessive and breathtaking excess in the financial SUPER?structure/architecture was too much FUR HRFF to.............................................to...........................................to......

..........well,................BARE. lolol

He ceased reading Fleck regularly cuz of his repeated cASS(_)_)tigation of Mr Magoo. how many X can one say the same thing?

He ceased reading COMSTOCK, mostly, cuz FUR all their DIRE WARNINGS the market hASS chosen to RISE, mostly, since oh, say, lASSt Oct or lASSt Mar (take yurrr pik)

They'll all be vindicated......EVENTUALLY.

---------->Click Here<--------------------- :o :o :o :o

If so, it would go through meekly. The world monetary system is unballasted. The major currencies are as easily reproducible as the minor ones. The Mexican peso holds as much intrinsic value as the Argentine peso or the U.S. dollar. When Treasury Secretary Snow precipitated an incremental devaluation of the dollar with a turn of phrase, no one in the City of London cried "default!" There was nothing to default on: no weight of metal, no fixed monetary arrangement of any kind. A dollar is in the mind of the holder. The capacity of a central bank to inflate is limited only by the audacity or the conscience of its governors.

From the vantage point of Japan and Europe, the falling dollar exchange rate is a powerful engine of deflation. A stronger euro means, for a European exporter, lost sales or lower profit margins. To date, the European Central Bank has declined to step up the rate of production of euros to offset a weaker dollar. We predict that it will. The Bank of Japan is already increasing the rate of yen production. No doubt, a higher gold price will induce more gold exploration, and, at length, more production. But there are checks: Gold occurs in the earth?s crust at a rate of 31/2 parts per billion.

What, then, is the White House left with? A depreciating dollar exchange rate (the club with which to encourage the Japanese and Europeans), a soaring federal budget deficit and a 11/4% funds rate. Taking the deflation bait, the former inflation vigilantes are buying the 10-year Treasury note at record-low yields with the hope of scalping 25 or 50 basis points. This is not the way deflations start. It?s the way inflations start.

post-7-1063448527.gif

The WTO trade talks in Cancun are going badly, mainly because the rich countries (U.S., EU and Japan) refuse to scrap their lavish agricultural subsidies.

Hay wain to hell

Trade policy may sound esoteric. But a transition from growing to shrinking workd trade is very bearish.

President Hoover proved that when he signed the Smoot-Hawley Act in June 1930, sending the stock market plunging for two years in worst decline ever.

The WTO trade talks in Cancun are going badly, mainly because the rich countries (U.S., EU and Japan) refuse to scrap their lavish agricultural subsidies.

Hay wain to hell

Trade policy may sound esoteric. But a transition from growing to shrinking workd trade is very bearish.

President Hoover proved that when he signed the Smoot-Hawley Act in June 1930, sending the stock market plunging for two years in worst decline ever.

How can a Stoolie in good standing still believe that old story? Smoot-Hawley is properly seen as coincident with the worldwide financial trouble and its attendent economic slowdown. I won't defend protectionism but this old story isn't economic analysis, it's ideological cant. The 25% tariff propposal is good for getting rants going but their purpose is really to get some congress critters something to campaign on. Such a bill would never pass. Personally I think a 5% or so tariff wouild be a good idea, seeing as the exedous of jobs and investment to China is so destabilizing, to them and us. (see below)

Noland is a broken record but I've only been reading him for 18 months. I can only imagine what it seems like to him and his readers after, what is it, 4 years. It's still worth a read for things like this weeks gem. China's money supply was growing last month at an annualized rate of 27%. Personal savings there are rising at an 18% rate and banks are doing their thing with the deposits, lending hand over fist. Therein lies the outline of how we bears continue to be crushed as the credit bubble goes worldwide.

Japan contiues to offer lessons in how far things can go. Their total government debt dwarfs ours in terms of % of GDP and new record currency interventions are greeted with shrugs, even cheers.

Doc is continuing to hang it all out with his shrinking liquidity theory of immanent bear vindication, and I take that seriously. However it doesn't seem to me to jive with his cycle work. Then again I'm probably mixing time periods. If he is substantially correct on the liquidity contraction I'll have to guess it will be a slow process, or one in stages, and not The Big One, as the emotion of the fundamental liquidity story implies. (and then there is the issue of China and India etc. taking the baton of credit expansion)

All things point to stocks and financial assets being the last thing to drop, if they do at all, with a leaking credit/liquidity bubble. A crash is a possiblity I suppose but I'll stick with my somewhat tongue in cheek prediction of Dow 36,000 and tribes of homeless wandering the land. Kept in line by Homeland Security and Patriot Acts.

Archived