B4 The Bell Wednesday Septemeber 8

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"US Treasury Secretary John Snow urges Congress to raise the government's debt ceiling, or face a cash crunch in the autumn"

As of August 31, the Treasury has $78.5B in borrowing capacity before it hits its limit. That's all borrowing, not just borrowing from the public. (includes brrowing from the so-called 'trust funds', like Soc Sec, Highway, etc.)

The last debt limit increase was in May of 2003. At that time, the limit was increased by like $984B. They will make it through this month, and because of quarter end tax receipts, they might make it to the election. How much you wanna bet it's kept hush hush until after the election, when they quietly bump it another $1.2 Trillion! That'll keep em in business for another year....maybe.

"For fiscal 2003, the U.S. Government is reporting a net operating costs of $665 billion, an increase of $300 billion from the $365 billion net operating cost reported last year. The increase is primarily attributable to the increased cost of the global war on terrorism, increases in the government's post-retirement liabilities and a decline in tax revenues caused by the sluggish economy. The report reflects the adoption of a new accounting standard this year which requires the recording as an asset of military equipment and its related depreciation resulting in an increase to assets of $383 billion.

. . .

John W. Snow"

:blink:

"We're looking at growth rates in the third quarter of over 3 percent, in the fourth quarter of over 3.5 percent, and [in all of 2004] of over 4 percent," Snow said. "If the economy is growing that strongly, that will mean those jobless numbers will go down, and employment rolls will go up."

"I think the recovery is under way, and the economy is poised for a good take-off," Snow said.

MH I was reading that while you were posting. Makes Japan look like one hell of a good credit risk in comparison to the US.

In searching World Bank data, I couldn't find any nation with a debt-to-GDP ratio worse than the United States' GAAP obligations ratio of 334%. The closest found is for the West African state of Guinea-Bissau at 224%, but Guinea-Bissau is not rated.

Looks like Guinea-Bissau debt is an outright "buy" in comparison.

But you know I think before the fecal matter edges it's way into the whirling blades we may well see a rebound in the dollar perhaps to the mid 90s though it may be very questionable how long it can remain elevated and at what interest rate. The downside to this for the time being is that the PM's could suffer, and I supect they will for a while. I've been riding this thing long enough that these little ups and downs don't bother me much, especially since I dont play the "Instant Riches" paper games. No one ever talks about the Instant Losses. Such is the nature of Ponzi and gambling.

DJ loweres Q3 EPS to $0.14vs $0.21exp, flat with Q3 '03 EPS

Company cites Sept advertising reservation well below expectations. This was suppose to be a shoe-in for the bulls. With election year ad buys adding to a "red hot" economy advertising was suppose to be a sure bet. Flat results indicate severe weakness.

Archived