See-saw

:D Welcome to B$ The Bell :D

Starting off a little early to give the latest update on the money explosion in Japan.

Fukui: Govt FX Steps Consistent With BOJ Policy

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

TOKYO -- The Bank of Japan won't end its current ultra-easy monetary policy until the economy is ready, although it hopes to overcome deflation soon so that it can end the current "abnormal" policy, BOJ Governor Toshihiko Fukui said Tuesday.

"Quantitative easing is an unprecedented policy," Fukui told a Lower House financial committee. "We want to succeed in fighting deflation so that we can graduate from this abnormal policy, and return to normal (policies) of interest rate adjustments"

True to this story, the BOJ is pushing the limits of its quantitative easing. The Bank of Japan and the Ministry of Finance, based on figures released today Tokyo time, are putting the petal to the metal on the electronic printing presses as the month draws to a close. They intend to finish out the quarter with the fastest quarterly expansion rate of a monetary base in the history of G-7 (about 30% annualized - that is if you count the BOJ and MOF tag-team together like two central banks). This is very supportive for gold and silver.

On the other hand, the Fed is playing see-saw with the Japanese and seems to withdraw money from the repo pool with every sign the BOJ/MOF is moving faster.

This is causing great problems for the US stock market, especially as most of the new yen created this month no longer flows to the US markets like it did in Jan/Feb.

April could send the market on down a highway to hell if the BOJ/MOF decides to give the electronic printing presses a rest. All bears should make their preparations by then for the fireworks.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Icky Twerp

as one vulture said to the other, "dang it, I'm too hungry... I'm gonna KILL something!"

I'm trying to frontrun that April downturn... course, I've been trying to frontrun the dam' downturn since 2 Novembers ago... :lol:

DJ BOJ To Buy Y400.0 Bln Bills At All Offices

TOKYO (Dow Jones)--The Bank of Japan said Tuesday all offices offered to buy Y400.0 billion in bills through an auction in an agreement starting Mar 25 and ending Apr 15.

Tokyo Bureau,

Dow Jones Newswires

TOP ECONOMIC EVENTS

TUESDAY, MARCH 23

NEW ORLEANS, La. - Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis President

Gary Stern speaks on "The Changing Payments Landscape" before

America's Community Bankers National Operations, Security, and

Technical Conference. - 1400 GMT

TOKYO - Japanese Council on Economic and Fiscal Policy meets.

Followed by news conference with Economics and Financial

Services Minister Heizo Takenaka.

VIENNA - European Central Bank (ECB) Governing Council member

Klaus Liebscher and EU Competition Commissioner Mario Monti take

part in panel discussion "Reviving the European economy" hosted

by the Group of the European People's Party (Christian

Democrats) and European Democrats in the European Parliament.

MIAMI, Fla. - U.S. Treasury Assistant Secretary for Financial

Institutions Wayne Abernathy speaks before the FDIC/FBIIC/FSSCC

Outreach Conference on "Protecting the Financial Sector" - 1320

GMT

WASHINGTON - U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow holds press

briefing on Social Security and Medicare Trustees reports - 1700

GMT

WASHINGTON - U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow and acting Under

Secretary for Domestic Finance Brian Roseboro testify before a

Joint Economic Committee hearing on postal reform - 1930 GMT

http://www.forbes.com/business/newswire/20...rtr1307923.html

Musical interlude for "Tunesday"

The Dow is Down

(Parody of I'm Goin' Down by Bruce Springsteen)

I get a bear

When I?m clickin? my mouse

But now I hate to see that ticker comin? round

I go to check the Dow and Nasdaq baby

They?re dropping points

Like Jenny Craig?s droppin pounds

Well say unemployment?s not on the rise

But Sysco just laid off a thousand guys

It?s going downdown down

Dow Jones is down down down

Nasdaq is down down down

Everything is down down down

Touchdown

I used to have an estate baby

But now my golden years are all in Dow

I remember when the 90?s started

My stocks would split

Every time the sun came out

I used to day trade dabble in margin

My portfolio was lookin? stout

I used to love that Alan Greenspan

But everytime he speaks

It?s going down down down

The Nasdaq is down down down

Greenspan?s a clown clown clown clown

Down down down

Hey how about that deep down Dow

The Dow is down down down

Nasdaq is down down down

Greenspan?s a clown clown clown

Down down down

Down down down

The market?s down down down down

From Bob Rivers Search for Dow is Down to hear tune

Al,

Great job with the song.

Last night Stained jeans posted a very bearish count on the Naz. I did not see that countwhen I posted that it looks corrective. Good work S.J. I guess I ain't that bearish yet. Maybe soon though. If we can't get past 1105 spx, it will go along way to get my claws sharpened.

Russian Navy: Northern Fleet Ship Unfit

By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV

Associated Press Writer

March 23, 2004, 7:01 AM EST

MOSCOW -- Russia's navy chief said Tuesday that one of the nation's most powerful ships, the nuclear-powered Peter the Great missile cruiser, was in such dire condition that it could "explode" at any moment -- a statement some observers attributed to infighting among the navy brass.

Kuroyedov didn't provide details of the ship's condition, but said the shortcomings also related to maintenance of the ship's nuclear reactor.

"Everything is all right on the ship where admirals walk, but in the areas where they don't, everything is in such condition that it may blow up at any moment," Kuroyedov was quoted as saying.

His statements were particularly shocking because the cruiser, the Northern Fleet's flagship, was officially named the best ship in the fleet last year.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wo...world-headlines

It seems as though a Eurozone consumer confidence report has come is better than anticipated, despite the recent terror activities...I wonder how that could be...

Al, do you have any idea how that could have happened?

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1...Pc&refer=europe

March 23 (Bloomberg) -- Italian consumer confidence held near a 10-year low in March after the Madrid bombings raised concern Italy may be a target for terrorist attacks.

An index based on a survey of 2,000 households by the Rome- based Isae Institute rose to 101.9, from a revised 98.9 in February, the lowest in more than a decade. The reading is higher than the median prediction of 98.4 by 22 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News.

``The combination of terrorism, weak economic data and falling stock markets is damaging confidence,'' said Gregorio De Felice, head of research at Banca Intesa SpA, Italy's biggest bank by assets, who was in Madrid when the bombings occurred.

Yields At Critical Point

Buck's Bounce Loses Spring

Uncle Buck and the Long Bong Hit, including short and long term updated charts and price targets, is now loaded. Take a subscribatory and get the latest whiff of Uncle Buck and the Long Bong Hit.

30 Day Intro Subscribatory. Just $16.99! Get In RIGHT NOW!

It's about the Housing Market, Stupid!

N.Z. 1st-Qtr Consumer Confidence Falls After Interest Rate Rise

March 23 (Bloomberg) -- New Zealand consumer confidence fell in the first quarter after the central bank raised interest rates for the first time in 18 months and the housing market slowed.

Westpac Banking Corp./McDermott Miller's consumer confidence index fell 2 points to 124 for the three months ending March 31, according to a report published in Wellington. The December reading was the highest since the first quarter of 1996. A reading above 100 indicates most people are optimistic about the economy.

Confidence fell for the first time in a year after Reserve Bank Governor Alan Bollard raised the benchmark interest rate a quarter point to 5.25 percent in January, slowing house sales. That makes consumers less optimistic they can afford to buy new cars or household appliances.

``There is diminishing confidence about the immediate future,'' Brendan O'Donovan, Westpac's chief economist for New Zealand, said in Wellington. ``The housing market is past its peak, the wider economy is likely to follow and exporters will not provide the economic boost in time to counter the domestic downturn.''

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1...4.sw&refer=asia

Archived