Rumsfeld Agrees To More Boots On Ground

RUMSFELD AGREES TO MORE BOOTS ON GROUND; TROOPS MAY FOLLOW

Additional Footwear Sends Strong Message, Defense Sec?y Says

In an effort to silence critics, Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld today pledged to put more boots on the ground in Iraq and indicated that additional troops to wear those boots could follow sometime in the future.

?To those who have said there are not enough boots on the ground, I?m delighted to say that there will soon be more boots in Iraq than you can shake a stick at,? Mr. Rumsfeld said in a Pentagon briefing . . .

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning and Good Stool to all!

HUI Long Advances, Golden Stool Stuck

Your Golden Stool, including short and long term updated charts and price targets, is now loaded. Even if you are not a goldbug, you should read the Golden Stool! A daily Anals release. Take a subscribatory and get the latest release of the Golden Stool from your Anals RIGHT NOW!

I want to thank Aussiebear, The Brown Won, the inimitable, moderate Al (no not that one), and all other party sip ants for keeping the home fires burning on IDS World. Great job gang! I will work to find a way to build your community when I get back to happy acres. A little cross fertilization on the bigger Ozzie, Asian, and Your a peein boards should work.

Be a Johnny Applestool! Spread the Stool! HYAH HYAH!

Doc is curious to hear machinehead's response to Doc's critique of machinehead's opinion on drawing inferences from the money supply data. Doc wonders if, while getting the big picture right at the bottom, machinehead might now be suffering from "profit intoxication", distorting his vision, and clouding and corrupting his judgement, and if therefore he shouldn't be going on the wagon, so to speak.

Doc is curious to hear machinehead's response to Doc's critique of machinehead's opinion on drawing inferences from the money supply data. Doc wonders if, while getting the big picture right at the bottom, machinehead might now be suffering from "profit intoxication", distorting his vision, and clouding and corrupting his judgement, and if therefore he shouldn't be going on the wagon, so to speak.

Doc, sorry if I expressed my opinion in an undiplomatic way. No offense was meant.

The $60 bil drop in M3 seems inconsistent with continued growth in the Fed's balance sheet and the monetary base. So I expect it will be reversed in coming weeks.

You put more weight on the refi market than I do. So if the drop in refis is that important, and the Fed doesn't take action to offset it, then M3 growth may decelerate as you say.

As for "going on the wagon," I went flat on Wednesday as mentioned here. Waiting to buy the dip. But first we have to get a dip. :P

Today's rock in the pond?

THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION: AUGUST 2003

Total nonfarm payroll employment declined by 93,000 in August, and

the unemployment rate was essentially unchanged at 6.1 percent, the

Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor reported

today. Job losses continued in manufacturing, information, and other

sectors, while health care and construction added jobs.

The widespread electrical power failure in the Northeast and Midwest

occurred late in the afternoon of Thursday, August 14, forcing many

businesses to shut down for a period of time during the survey reference

periods. Because of the way employment is defined in the two surveys,

however, it is likely that the blackout had little effect on the August

employment counts.

News items:

1. Benny Bernanke and McTeer talking deflation and more easing yesterday.

2. 93,000 job loss reported today.

3. Unemployment rate falls from 6.2% to 6.1%.

4. Jack Belushian on CBNC calls it a "buying opportunity."

Forensic analysis:

1. The Fed was tipped to the report and sent out Benny for "advance damage control."

2. The 6.1% rate was fiddled to conceal the miserable job performance.

3. Belushian is bullhorning for the Matrix.

Yea Larry. That's the ticket. "We don't know how many self-employed are in the work force."

Gotta be alot. They've all started their own employment agencies!

Hey, you can call it an "employment opportunity"!

Archived