Holding Over The Weak End

Graduation rates for student-athletes competing in Division I continue to reach all-time highs.

There is no question that there are dramatic differences between the various colleges and universities programs.

Men's Basketball is generally the "worst" of the sports for poor graduation rates.

Link

But for every "bad" program you can point to, you can point to a good one.

Take Stanford University Athletics, as an example of one of the best, with high performance in many sports, both men's and women's and excellent graduation rates with high academic standards.

Of course, Stanford's first ever athletic director went on to become POTUS, so they begin with an advantage.

From the link:

Men's basketball: 66%

Women's basketball: 83%

Men's baseball: 70%

Men's football: 66%

Take the women's graduation rate out and things don't look so rosy, do they? about 2/3 of the male athletes graduate, even with the kind of extra "help" Dr. Correll mentioned above. A lot of people teaching at the college level are of the opinion that grades have inflated and standards have lowered tremendously in the past couple of decades. In fact, grade inflation is the subject of much concern at many colleges.

And then there's the story of the Cal State U athlete who graduated without being able to read. They found out when he was booked for murder in a robbery gone bad, and he couldn't read any of the forms.

Meanwhile students like Correll who want to learn, are working their way through school and taking tests they have to study for. In case you think I'm a geezer who is nostalgic for the old days, I go on record as saying that the cream of the crop today is the best student generation we've ever had.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheating at University is hardly confined to Athletes.

....cheating on tests and exams among undergraduate students is problematic on US and Canadian campuses, as roughly one in ten students admit to one or more instances of copying, using crib notes and/or helping someone else to cheat on a test or exam. Indeed, if the number of students who admit to any of these four offenses in the past year is calculated, it is evident that one in five students (21%) has engaged in at least one of these serious forms of test or exam cheating

Link

Frankly, I think we should be happy that the rate of dishonesty is so high among our young scholars.

Where else would our candidates for Politics, Judgeships, Corporate Boardrooms, Real Estate Agents, Bank Loan Officers and the like get their first experiences of the needed ethics for success without first learning how to cheat on mid-terms and finals?

Without cheating at university under their belt, three quarters of the Congress would not have the skills needed to fully discharge their duties. 

Cheating at University is hardly confined to Athletes.

....cheating on tests and exams among undergraduate students is problematic on US and Canadian campuses, as roughly one in ten students admit to one or more instances of copying, using crib notes and/or helping someone else to cheat on a test or exam. Indeed, if the number of students who admit to any of these four offenses in the past year is calculated, it is evident that one in five students (21%) has engaged in at least one of these serious forms of test or exam cheating

Link

Frankly, I think we should be happy that the rate of dishonesty is so high among our young scholars.

Where else would our candidates for Politics, Judgeships, Corporate Boardrooms, Real Estate Agents, Bank Loan Officers and the like get their first experiences of the needed ethics for success without first learning how to cheat on mid-terms and finals?

Without cheating at university under their belt, three quarters of the Congress would not have the skills needed to fully discharge their duties. 

I think you fail to give our elite enough credit. I'm sure they were smart enough to have been cheating in junior high school, if not before. :lol: :P

THE BERKSHIRE REBALANCING ACT

If we run the acquisition of Burlington by Berkshire thru the Consumptionist Versus Productionist dynamic we can make certain conclusions

Warren is up to his eyeballs in leveraged consumptionist bets..........called banks

"Just 28 companies received more than 90 percent of the funds so far disbursed to financial firms by the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP.

Buffett’s holding company, Berkshire Hathaway Inc., did not directly receive any of that aid. But Berkshire is the largest shareholder of San Francisco-based Wells Fargo & Co., which got $25 billion – 91 percent of TARP funds invested in institutions headquartered in California.

Overall, Berkshire owns more than $13 billion of stock in the top recipients of TARP funds – including Goldman Sachs Group Inc., US Bancorp, American Express Co. and Bank of America Corp., all considered by anal cysts to be in deep trouble before the federal infusion. The more the bailout props up these financial companies, the more secure Berkshire’s investments.

That total, The Bee found, ranks Berkshire fifth among all investors in TARP-assisted companies. Berkshire’s TARP holdings constitute 30 percent of its publicly disclosed stock portfolio. That proportion reflects at least twice as much dependence on bailed-out banks as any other large investor."

Now these bets have been underwritten by Uncle TARP Sam the "insurer" of last resort.

But I cant see these bets paying off big any time soon - more bad debts and the TARP money has to be paid back.

Its all these leveraged consumptionist bets that nearly overturned the Berkshire Boat

So the purchase of Burlington can be seen as a big "productionist" bet to rebalance the Berkshire portfolio.

Its much like american power - its also a bet that is noncoherant with exchange rates and so does not suffer from the renimbi undervalued efect

Unlike Marmon - a coherant productionist bet which as a manufacturer suffers from the under valued Renimbi.

So Burlington is a "double" productionist bet.

To balance out the banks which are "double" consumptionist bets!!!

AGW site hacked...tons of emails released to public....

Hopefully some whistleblower insider trying to prevent Copenhagen global disaster.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewb.../hadley_hacked/

http://pajamasmedia.com/richardfernandez/2...0/the-cru-hack/

http://www.examiner.com/x-25061-Climate-Ch...Change-Examiner

The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t. The CERES data published in the August BAMS 09 supplement on 2008 shows there should be even more warming: but the data are surely wrong. Our observing system is inadequate.

another about data manipluation

Phil,

Here are some speculations on correcting SSTs to partly explain the 1940s warming blip. If you look at the attached plot you will see that theland also shows the 1940s blip (as I’m sure you know).

So, if we could reduce the ocean blip by, say, 0.15 degC, then this would be significant for the global mean – but we’d still have to explain the land blip. I’ve chosen 0.15 here deliberately. This still leaves an ocean blip, and i think one needs to have some form of ocean blip to explain the land blip (via either some common forcing, or ocean forcing land, or vice versa, or all of these). When you look at other blips, the land blips are 1.5 to 2 times (roughly) the ocean blips—higher sensitivity plus thermal inertia effects. My 0.15 adjustment leaves things consistent with this, so you can see where I am coming from.

Removing ENSO does not affect this.

It would be good to remove at least part of the 1940s blip, but we are still left with “why the blip”.

Let me go further. If you look at NH vs SH and the aerosol effect (qualitatively or with MAGICC) then with a reduced ocean blip we get continuous warming in the SH, and a cooling in the NH—just as one would expect with mainly NH aerosols.

The other interesting thing is (as Foukal et al. note – from MAGICC) that the 1910-40 warming cannot be solar. The Sun can get at most 10% of this with Wang et al solar, less with Foukal solar. So this may well be NADW, as Sarah and I noted in 1987 (and also Schlesinger later). A reduced SST blip in the 1940s makes the 1910-40 warming larger than the SH (which it currently is not)—but not really enough.

So ... why was the SH so cold around 1910? Another SST problem? (SH/NH data also attached.)

This stuff is in a report I am writing for EPRI, so I’d appreciate any comments you (and Ben) might have.

Tom.

another

Yeah, it wasn’t so much 1998 and all that that I was concerned about, used to dealing with that, but the possibility that we might be going through a longer – 10 year – period of relatively stable temperatures beyond what you might expect from La Nina etc. Speculation, but if I see this as a possibility then others might also. Anyway, I’ll maybe cut the last few points off the filtered curve before I give the talk again as that’s trending down as a result of the end effects and the recent cold-ish years.

Climatologists Baffled by Global Warming Time-Out

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/...,662092,00.html

Even the Brits are being forced to admit the truth...

Just a few weeks ago, Britain's Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research added more fuel to the fire with its latest calculations of global average temperatures. According to the Hadley figures, the world grew warmer by 0.07 degrees Celsius from 1999 to 2008 and not by the 0.2 degrees Celsius assumed by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. And, say the British experts, when their figure is adjusted for two naturally occurring climate phenomena, El Niño and La Niña, the resulting temperature trend is reduced to 0.0 degrees Celsius -- in other words, a standstill.

Just as would be expected at the top of the cycle....

Andrew Bolt is a pompous apologist for the Neanderthals of the Australian radical right.

His admirers are the ones that have hairy knuckles dragging on the ground.

Also, his job is to sell newspapers, not provide analytically correct commentary.

Having said that, there is troubling information in what these hijacked emails and documents are revealing.

A more balanced view from serious scientific skeptic bloggers is at-

http://www.realclimate.org/

This is an interesting take. As a student of a school that is a national powerhouse in college football I believe there are some things that need to be taken care of. I hate walking around campus seeing these "studs" doing nothing but talking to the ladies. The attention they get gives them a ego boost that they wouldnt trade for a salary. Masses of beautiful women just surround these kids at certains spots on campus. I'm hurrying to class and there just sitting there enjoying all there emintities at the expense of my tuition. These kids have private tutors, and the tutors have the test prior to the player taking the examination. Its just too easy for them. But hey, every national championship they get nets the school $7 million. The revenues from the Florida Gator brand are unbelievable. I am there for the education, and the possiblility of graduate school. I do like the football team, and I do travel to most away games, but I want that paper so I can continue my education, to actually acquire some true knowledge. Sorry about the spelling, using IE.

Correll

Life isn't fair.

America has a sports culture, the best way to fight it is to not pay for tickets or buy sports related merchandise. That's how the players make millions and get all the attention and worship.

I used to be a big baseball fan when I was a kid growing up, but I lost interest in most pro sports due to all the strikes in the 90's. A bunch of rich babies crying for more money, when they are already among the richest of Americans. Then the crybabies all went to their local governments to cry for new $500 million stadiums. Boo hoo, we'll leave the city if you don't pay up.

The SF 49's are trying to move to Santa Clara, CA. They are not offering a dime to build a new stadium, they are trying to get the City of Santa Clara to build it for them. city residents will have to approve hundreds of millions in bonds in order to fund the building. Since the same residents just told the schools to take a hike with increased parcel taxes, it'll be interesting to see if they'll pony up for a new stadium that will sit empty for most of the year.

I've been away for the week, too much work (which is good). Recently we've been bringing back employees that got the big RIF earlier in the year, as contractors. The ones I've spoken to hadn't worked since they got the big RIF so they are happy to making an income again, even if it is only temporary.

Silicon Valley's unemployment rate is now 11.9%. California's is now 12.5%. California could face up to a $20 billion shortfall in this year's budget by the coming summer. Tax revenues fall every single month.

Green shoots... one of the biggest piles of bullshit I can ever remember being subjected to.

The Administration's ruminations about the national debt and budget deficits after this week's Asia trip also made me want to barf. Who are these guys kidding? You can't borrow a trillion dollars + a year.. even the dumbest creditor nation will eventually ask how we can pay it back.

At least some banks must be doing better, I started getting some credit card offers again this week. Just what we all need, more debt to buy junk with. Time to use the shredder again!

I do have one question, is Denninger right about the dollar becoming the new carry trade?

Almost forgot, massive price inflation in the UC system here in CA, tuition up 30%!!

There were lots of protests today at the various campuses, students taking over buildings and being arrested by overpaid UC police officers.

Students continue to get hosed on fees, but UC employees feel no pain. No 30% paychop for them!

The System gets closer and closer to implosion.

This is an interesting take. As a student of a school that is a national powerhouse in college football I believe there are some things that need to be taken care of. I hate walking around campus seeing these "studs" doing nothing but talking to the ladies. The attention they get gives them a ego boost that they wouldnt trade for a salary. Masses of beautiful women just surround these kids at certains spots on campus. I'm hurrying to class and there just sitting there enjoying all there emintities at the expense of my tuition. These kids have private tutors, and the tutors have the test prior to the player taking the examination. Its just too easy for them. But hey, every national championship they get nets the school $7 million. The revenues from the Florida Gator brand are unbelievable. I am there for the education, and the possiblility of graduate school. I do like the football team, and I do travel to most away games, but I want that paper so I can continue my education, to actually acquire some true knowledge. Sorry about the spelling, using IE.

Correll

Yes, for a college student your spelling is horrendous - actually it is atrocious. Anyway, that is life, the young ladies always go for the studs, those guys that are the athletes, the affluent, the popular. Hey, if you don't fall in that category, don't fret because time is the great equalizer. Those girls don't stay looking like that for long. Trust me they don't. There is an old saying that the youth is wasted on the young and, you know what, it is absolutely true. In ten years, those girls that are falling all over those studs will most likely look like cottage cheese and the studs like a shell of their former selves as they eat cheese balls and live in the past basking on a couch playing nintendo. Look beyond that and be yourself and look for a girl that has substance, one that is real, not a carbon copy of society like Brittney Spears. Do that and you will be better off and happy. Meanwhile, do yourself a favor, watch Ohio State kick Michigan's arse 2morrow, delight in it, watch Tebow get his arse kicked and his nose bloodied and, above all, work on your damn spelling.....

One more thing, in high school I was the stud. I played tailback and strong safety; I was also a very good pitcher in baseball. I never played big-time college football to impress the ladies, but, years later, what difference would it of made if I had. Hey, nothing, no difference at all. In the end, we are all dead, doooooomed. So put off the pretenses and be yourself and, must I say it again, work on your damn spellling.

Yes, for a college student your spelling is horrendous - actually it is atrocious. Anyway, that is life, the young ladies always go for the studs, those guys that are the athletes, the affluent, the popular. Hey, if you don't fall in that category, don't fret because time is the great equalizer. Those girls don't stay looking like that for long. Trust me they don't. There is an old saying that the youth is wasted on the young and, you know what, it is absolutely true. In ten years, those girls that are falling all over those studs will most likely look like cottage cheese and the studs like a shell of their former selves as they eat cheese balls and live in the past basking on a couch playing nintendo. Look beyond that and be yourself and look for a girl that has substance, one that is real, not a carbon copy of society like Brittney Spears. Do that and you will be better off and happy. Meanwhile, do yourself a favor, watch Ohio State kick Michigan's arse 2morrow, delight in it, watch Tebow get his arse kicked and his nose bloodied and, above all, work on your damn spelling.....

One more thing, in high school I was the stud. I played tailback and strong safety; I was also a very good pitcher in baseball. I never played big-time college football to impress the ladies, but, years later, what difference would it of made if I had. Hey, nothing, no difference at all. In the end, we are all dead, doooooomed. So put off the pretenses and be yourself and, must I say it again, work on your damn spellling.

Now that, I can agree with! Great advice.

OH, and the "blip" the AGWers cant explain for the life of themselves?

Note the timeframe of the last peak in the AMO/PDO cycles....

If global warming were indeed based upon CO2 levels, then why does temperature go up and down so much, from "the next ice age" end of the world in 1974, to "the world is gonna melt" end of the world in 1998, while CO2 continues to rise? Could it possibly be that CO2 is an extremely minute part (.03%) of the atmosphere and really plays no role in the causation of warming and cooling trends?

Hopefully some of you who actually were brainwashed into believing in AGW (they had me for a bit at the very beginning) are starting to get it...

It is disgusting what they are doing in our educational system. They have accepted AGW as fact and done a superb job of brainwashing the kids. I showed my 10 year old niece, who was a former believer, some of the data and she could plainly see the truth. She tried to tell some other kids at school about it, and they all attacked her like she had told them there was no god. Her dad told me she actually came home in tears that day. I also have a college age niece and nephew and same story there, both believe in AGW as the gospel truth. Interesting though, when I asked them some simple questions, about why they believe, they could not come up with a single fact that supported their belief, other that some places on the earth were getting warmer and some ice was currently melting, and CO2 was rising, so it must be human caused. And of course, it said so in "the movie". They didn't even have a clue what percentage of the atmosphere was CO2, and had never actually looked at any temperature data, or at other much more plausible reasons for warming and cooling.

Archived