Stormy Weak end

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My only point is that these decisions are not done in some kind of high-tech financial clean room free of political implications, given the players.

cr1.jpg

688095[/snapback]

Well, of course, since the decisions are in fact made by politicians. But this was not a politically driven decision. It was driven by the same thing that has driven all of these decisions, crony capitalism.

The only people bailed out were the bondholders, for it is the bondholders who shall inherit the earth.

Always has been, always will be.

Jamie Dimon regrets the purchase of Bear Stearns and paradox of deleveraging

In this podcast Charles Peabody, partner and research anal cysts at Portales Partners LLC claims that in private discussions Jamie Dimon said that he regrets of his decision to purchase Bear Sterns. It simply turns out that the purchase was too costly. By Peabody calculations the real purchase price, including all hidden fees and losses, was not $10 as was publicized, but $106 per share.

For whatever great company it was, B.S. simply was not worth $106.

http://yellowroad.wallstreetexaminer.com/b...f-deleveraging/

As one stock letter said "The Market is Probably Finished... when stocks fall -30% , then the next -20% collapse is easy."? http://www.traderreview.com

It probably looks like this:

SPX

http://www.StockSharePublishing.com/ChartL..._1221281314.png

688052[/snapback]

i, too, would like to see a serious decline in the indices. but the comparison to 2001's market isn't entirely valid--the huge market-external shock of 9/11 was a true black swan. without a catastrophic event (and i hope nobody is hoping for one), this year's decline might continue as it has--in a rather orderly fashion.

Yeah - Scored some Metallica tickets this AM.

Rock on dudes!

688098[/snapback]

don't forget the earplugs, bro.

went to plenty of shows when i was a bit younger. mostly grunge/alternative. usually the partial hearing loss would resolve within hours. began wearing earplugs after the first few shows.

then i went to see metallica with my roomie, a once-dedicated metalhead (who's now a plastic surgeon and prefers electronica). loudest frakkin' show i'd ever been to. forgot to take earplugs; didn't even have tissue paper to stuff into my ears. the hearing difficulties persisted for a couple days. i was a bit perturbed; i thought i'd never be able to hear properly again music or stethoscope sounds or human speech.

In this podcast Charles Peabody, partner and research anal cysts at Portales Partners LLC claims that in private discussions Jamie Dimon said that he regrets of his decision to purchase Bear Sterns. It simply turns out that the purchase was too costly. By Peabody calculations the real purchase price, including all hidden fees and losses, was not $10 as was publicized, but $106 per share.

688103[/snapback]

Fixed few words related to deleveraging. Selling part of business is a way to sell future earnings but keep current assets.

i, too, would like to see a serious decline in the indices. but the comparison to 2001's market isn't entirely valid--the huge market-external shock of 9/11 was a true black swan. without a catastrophic event (and i hope nobody is hoping for one), this year's decline might continue as it has--in a rather orderly fashion.

688106[/snapback]

It is actually amazing how orderly and proper this year charts look. All trendlines respected, all oscillators are oscillating in the most harmonic fashion and so on.

It's like not a panic, but just bull market upside-down.

don't forget the earplugs, bro.

went to plenty of shows when i was a bit younger. mostly grunge/alternative. usually the partial hearing loss would resolve within hours. began wearing earplugs after the first few shows.

then i went to see metallica with my roomie, a once-dedicated metalhead (who's now a plastic surgeon and prefers electronica). loudest frakkin' show i'd ever been to. forgot to take earplugs; didn't even have tissue paper to stuff into my ears. the hearing difficulties persisted for a couple days. i was a bit perturbed; i thought i'd never be able to hear properly again music or stethoscope sounds or human speech.

688107[/snapback]

When it comes to live music, I prefer blues/jazz or stuff like that, the volume is usually normal.

What is amazing, I visited quite a lot of rock concerts where the volume was normal, too. Apparently, the shocking volume is not necessary the attribute of the rock music, it's just a dicision of a particular band.

688106[/snapback]

The 9/11 event did not impact cycle patterns at all. The few days after there was some distortion, but that's it. Hurst proved unequivocally that news events do not influence market cycles. I've seen it with my own eyes during the 38 years since he wrote the book.

I have to laugh about all the gnashing of teeth over gasoline price changes in the South in the wake of Ike. Here in Montreal, gas prices went up 20 cents A LITER, nearly 24 hours BEFORE the storm hit.

There are 3.78 liters per gallon.

Early in the day the price was $1.29 per liter, then yesterday afternoon $1.49.

688103[/snapback]

thanks Roxy, interesting interview.

Archived