Kopin Tan Blackout

Isn't that where the talks betwen the Big 3 and the UAW are going on? :ph34r:

Yes, the Big 3 and the UAW are "negotiating" here in Michigan. Their talks aren't supposed to heat up until after Labor Day. In the meantime the auto plants are pumping out a bunch of cars and trucks filling up the dealer's lots (strike bank?). Now that the power has been restored, the "show can go on".

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moderators-

Please do not attempt to change any member's status. If you have changed any member's statust please let me know.

Stoolies- If your membership status has been changed in any way, please let me know, and I will fix the problem. No member's status should be listed as validating.

Doc

Yes, the Big 3 and the UAW are "negotiating" here in Michigan. Their talks aren't supposed to heat up until after Labor Day. In the meantime the auto plants are pumping out a bunch of cars and trucks filling up the dealer's lots (strike bank?). Now that the power has been restored, the "show can go on".

These talks should prove to be much more frustrating to the unions than most previous negotiations. This is BY FAR the weakest position they've had in years, especially with underfunded pension issues, overcapacity, full dealer lots, rising interest rates, rising health insurance costs, and lack of profit from the core operation (less finance arms). I wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt to shutter 20-30 plants before all is said and done. Once the current contract expires, we'll find out what their true intentions are.

Would the UAW be stupid enough to call a strike in this environment? YUP! Another word to add to the vocabulary along with "quagmire" is "lockout". :ph34r:

These talks should prove to be much more frustrating to the unions than most previous negotiations. This is BY FAR the weakest position they've had in years, especially with underfunded pension issues, overcapacity, full dealer lots, rising interest rates, rising health insurance costs, and lack of profit from the core operation (less finance arms). I wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt to shutter 20-30 plants before all is said and done. Once the current contract expires, we'll find out what their true intentions are.

Would the UAW be stupid enough to call a strike in this environment? YUP! Another word to add to the vocabulary along with "quagmire" is "lockout". :ph34r:

I agree 100%. Typically the UAW "targets" one of the Big 3 and begins to negotiate with them first. My hunch is that they will choose GM, since they are the deepest pocket, and they are currently in the mode of buying market share (incentives) and forcing Ford and Chrysler to follow suit. The current UAW contracts are structured in such a way that it is cheaper for the Big 3 to keep producing cars vs. laying off the production people (because they still have to pay UAW members a large % of their salary while they are laid off). So if the UAW call a strike, the automakers won't have to pay their hourly employees and they can work off some of their excess inventory. It should be interesting to observe. I have a particular interest in these talks as I am the CFO of an auto parts supplier in Metro Detroit so I try to keep an ear to the ground to see how our company (and I) will be effected.

I am looking to research if there actually exists "safe-harbor" currencies (those that the government protects vis a vis the USD).

I think a good opportunity exists in the USD-EUR-INR triumvirate - any ideas where I can get some decent historical data of the cross rates between these currencies? TIA.

Certainly existing mines can ramp up their production. However, unlike gold exploration, gold discovery is not something that be ramped up due to increased demand.

An rough analogy would be new drug discovery. A ten-fold increase in resources allocated does not result in a ten-fold increase in the discovery of new drugs.

"The market will seek equilibrium if left to it's devices."

Yes. But then there's the questions of time lag in response to changes in demand and volatility about the equilibrium value. If the time lag is too long, then this could cause real economy-damaging stresses. Also large volatility would make conducting business and settling accounts more difficult. Not unlike todays fiat yen-euro-usd situation.

I disagree. Many (most? all?) mining companies have reserves that could physically be put into production at any time, but are not because at current prices it would not provide sufficient profit margin, due to characteristics of the particular project. This could be relative to other more attractive projects the company has available to it, or simply because the POG is so low that the given project would be a money loser. Keep in mind, it's one thing to find the gold, quite another to "produce" it. If POG went high enough, it would make sense to start panning for it in California again.

The gold mining industry is (and would be under a true gold standard) as forward-looking as any other. Exploration would proceed apace in good industry times or bad (exploration companies are certainly always chasing the holy grail discoveries that have allow fat profit margins, just like any business does with their R&D), and production would proceed based on which mines are most economic, just like any enterprise exploits its best opportunities first, as well as always looking out for more and better ones. Nothing unique here just because its gold, its all just basic business.

You can read my butt scratchings weekly in Fed Turdsday Releases, which of course were withheld until Friday this week. :wink2:

The markets will tell the tale first. M data has a 10 day lag. Should start leveling off any week now.

If it doesn't there is only one conclusion that can logically be reached.

The theory is wrong. :lol:

Somehow I missed it this week Doc. That's why I asked.

The lag is to be expected but a drop will tell the tale on your analysis. I think it's right, it should be right if Credit Bubbly analysis is valid, and I fear it's right. Fear for everyone. But then, then, then I think somehow rates will plunge again and we go one more round.

I'll note that your gnawing the tires off the car bearishness on this issue, the credit bubble, doesn't quite square with your market work, if I'm reading that right. Not a criticism in any way. Just an observation which reminds to let the market prices tell us.

I am looking to research if there actually exists "safe-harbor" currencies (those that the government protects vis a vis the USD).

I think a good opportunity exists in the USD-EUR-INR triumvirate - any ideas where I can get some decent historical data of the cross rates between these currencies? TIA.

By INR, do you mean the Indian Rupee? If so, I am doubtful that the Indian govt. is protecting it vis-a-vis the USD. Considering that it was granted free float status only a few short years ago...

Been a tough 6 months for bears. First the rally from March lows, then this sideways market for what 2 months?

Lots of stoolies must be feeling the strain. The most common short around here is a short temper. :o

My guess is the patient bear will do well. But I've been wrong before.

In the meantime, its a wonderful, beautiful day where I am. Just the faintest hint of springtime in the air. Does a soul good.

Think I'll take a walk down to the beach and check in later.

Good luck in your trading.

What the....did we just lose another one? Come on people, is it the money or just the pride? I don't get it.

Before I was lurking here, some 6 months ago, I spent a long time lurking on the Longwaves board....some really advanced discussions by some very intelligent, forward thinking people discussing long term economic cycles and trends. But it eventually degenerated into childish bickering and posturing, albeit with an advanced degree vocabulary. It seems to be happening here. Too many fragile egos, too many taking their opinions too seriously.

There's so much to be learned here but the bickering is such a turn off. Kind of reminds me of my earlier relationships. Unlike those relationships, I'd hate to grow out of this board. I'd like to grow with you all.

So please stop with all the drama!

(rant off)

Archived