Paint Buy Numbers

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

C'mon man! You Canucks are such wusses when it comes to summer heat. As soon as it hits 80 people start complaining about the heat. I've been coming here for 12 summers and only twice has the temperature been above 90. I never even break a sweat. Ever been to NY, Philly, or DC in July or August? It's almost never less than 92 with 75+% humidity. This year has been freakishly cool in those towns too. Almost never more than the low 80s, but little rain until this weekend.

Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, St. Louis, Houston? Fuhgeddaboudit. 9 AM it's so hot and humid, you're soaked all the way through in about 5 minutes.

As a recent returnian to Bostonish, I can confirm that it is humid as ass this summer. Not especially hot but nasty.

Bought a dehumidifier and am emptying it constantly.

My boys (2 & 4), who watch Dora The Explora every chance they get, keep saying we're in The Foggy Fog.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, what they have to say regarding peak oil is pretty accurate, if you have taken the time to actually listen.

The enormous statistical evidence around oilfield life and the pace of large new discoveries overwhelmingly supports the idea of a meaningful decline in oil production, beginning Really Soon, or Now, or Just Recently.

Given the scope of the supply decline, demand decline due to economic contraction is immaterial farther out than a couplefew years.

The questions, as I understand them, are:

1. Is it somehow possible that all this data is bogus, incomplete, or fails to take into account the abiotic (Cadbury Egg) theory of oil production?

2. Can new developments in technology (either synthetics or alt energy) offset/replace the declining supply?

3. Will coffee at a minimart gas station taste any better than the stale suckass tar usuallly on offer?

I'm pretty sure 3 is no.

1 and 2 have bigger implications.

If you guys are looking for some Stoolian outrage, check out Jr Deputy Accountant.

Maybe she's one of us. Doc would know.

"Tim Geithner is little more than chief pimp for U.S. debt and as such, it makes sense that he must provide the sort of hoes that the tricks on the street (in this case, the Chinese) want providing their backseat half-and-half...if Timmy doesn't have a market for his tramps, he better get back to the Hoe Depot and pick up some bitches that will get some play out there. Are you listening, Timmy?"

timothy-geithner.jpg

[ prior post ]

"It appears as though TPTB are of the "visualize your own made-up reality" breed, buying into some page out of The Secret playbook that says one can seduce the Universe into providing anything simply by believing it exists. Sorry, Larry Summers, you can't visualize your way out of being a douchebag and you won't be able to visualize your way out of the next round of economic beatings either."

Since oil has retreated from its historic run last summer and gas prices have fallen considerably, the problems regarding black gold don't get much attention anymore. However, in the not too distant future, it is my view that the energy crisis will become one of the main issues that we will have to face. It is a serious problem.

That's sort of my point WRT Poop-Blah-Blah. He never presupposed that any variable might impact energy prices other than Peak Oil. Energy issues will raise their heads again, but only once other variables have played out... which is to say, it isn't only about Peak Oil.

Then also throw the Israel/Iran situation into this mix and the crisis can re-emerge overnight!

'sactly.

Cult of Peak Oil sort of presupposes away all other variables. When crude made its run last year, it confirmed for cultists that they were "right" and that the time had come.

I don't know where we are on Hubbard's curve, and neither do they.

Even if they pretend to.....

'sactly.

Cult of Peak Oil sort of presupposes away all other variables. When crude made its run last year, it confirmed for cultists that they were "right" and that the time had come.

I don't know where we are on Hubbard's curve, and neither do they.

Even if they pretend to.....

Totally agree re other variables. Particularly the bubblicious shenanigans of Goldie Lookin Sachs, et al.

And I have no cult leanings.....but all fields follow a pretty similar script (this one from 2004):

800px-Hubbert_world_2004.png

The new discoveries are dwindling and all the oil extraction advances just deplete fields faster.

So either the data's inaccurate/incomplete, or new tech will change things before the crunch hits, or...there's a bit of a mess.

FWIW I'd prefer the abiotic scenario, in which Peak Oil is a load of conspiracy bollocks, but anyway.

Archived