IDS World Markets Fri 24th October 08

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLY FRIGGIN' CRAP

History in the making.....

My buy wallet is closed from further purchases until Dow 5,600.....

I just didn't think we'd see it get there this week.....

703272[/snapback]

So Joe, what are the best dividend paying buys here?

Incidentally, looks like my $50 target on oil is gonna get hit sooner than I thought.  My bottom for oil is $30.

703274[/snapback]

30 dollars! That would be great! Maybe I should lock in Gas prices for the rest of my life if we get there.

I average about 10,000 driving miles per year. My cars average about 20 miles per gallon. That would be 500 gallons a year and if gas gets to 2.30, it would amount to 1,150 per year. I assume i'll be around for another 50 years....that would be $57,500 up front. :mellow:

So Joe, what are the best dividend paying buys here?

703273[/snapback]

There are plenty out there, and I'll be watchin' for a panic washout to buy'em. You can either screen for them fairly easily:

[1] Companies that sell stuff/services that people use (food, energy, telecom, cable TV, materials)

[2] Low P/E, say under 10, preferably under 5

[3] More then adequate cash flow

[4] Moderate to low debt service to cash flow

[5] Moderate to low net debt to revenue

[6] Dividend of at least 6.5% (above 10% even better) that is adequately covered even if earnings take a pretty big hit

If you have big bucks to play with, then individual names will get you the biggest bang for the buck, but will also be the most risky.

Those with lower $ to invest can use CEF's or numerous mutul funds to achieve similar exposure.

WOW!!! I just looked at the Yen for the first time in a few hours....  91.52 after having gone as low as 90.96.

The last time the market looked like this in the morning was at the march lows.  So a question if anyone wants to give advice.  Seeing as I bought SPY yesterday(luckily not a leveraged fund) how much sense would it make to just hold it here.  Even if we get a quick spike down to 6000 or some epic crash type scenario, I can't see staying down there for very long assuming its a multi day large event.  Obviously the further it winds up going down the smarter it would be to sell on the open and then buy back lower, but my worry is that I wont buy back lower after I let this position go.

So I guess my question is...assuming I want to be in the market around these levels, how much sense would it make to try and time the market even further than I already have by selling and trying to get back in?

703261[/snapback]

The 3 day cycle projection is between 82.50 and 84.50.

I know I am repeating myself, but the only analog for this market is 1929-32. Parameters from markets of the last 70 years are no longer useful. We may be in the mid 1930-31 like period. It also feels a lot like summer 1974 to me, only the moves are larger and I believe we are earlier in the 4 year cycle than we were in the summer of 74. Bottom picking will remain hazardous to your health.

I will, as usual update the long term outlook in the Wall Street Examiner Professional Edition at the end of the month. http://wallstreetexaminer.com. The market is slightly ahead of my last forecast reaching levels now that I thought would take until the end of the year or early in 2009. Closing the month below 8500 on the Dow would have extraordinarily bearish implications. I will post the new targets and cycle projections in the monthly long term update.

There are plenty out there, and I'll be watchin' for a panic washout to buy'em.  You can either screen for them fairly easily:

[1] Companies that sell stuff/services that people use (food, energy, telecom, cable TV, materials)

[2]  Low P/E, say under 10, preferably under 5

[3]  More then adequate cash flow

[4]  Moderate to low debt service to cash flow

[5]  Moderate to low net debt to revenue

[6]  Dividend of at least 6.5% (above 10% even better) that is adequately covered even if earnings take a pretty big hit

If you have big bucks to play with, then individual names will get you the biggest bang for the buck, but will also be the most risky.

Those with lower $ to invest can use CEF's or numerous mutul funds to achieve similar exposure.

703278[/snapback]

Do you have 5 favorite companies?

I don't have your selection expertise.

30 dollars! That would be great!  Maybe I should lock in Gas prices for the rest of my life if we get there. 

I average about 10,000 driving miles per year.  My cars average about 20 miles per gallon.  That would be 500 gallons a year and if gas gets to 2.30, it would amount to 1,150 per year.  I assume i'll be around for another 50  years....that would be $57,500 up front.  :mellow:

703276[/snapback]

I guess you can hedge unleaded these days using UGA

big.chart?symb=uga&compidx=aaaaa%3A0&ma=5&maval=50%2C%2B200&uf=0&lf=2&lf2=4&lf3=1024&type=4&size=2&state=11&sid=3106844&style=320&time=6&freq=1&comp=NO%5FSYMBOL%5FCHOSEN&nosettings=1&rand=7238&mocktick=1

Every morning, pre-coffee, stumble into the office to check PNL and overnight charts - first reaction was quite sure the SPY short had a crappy print throwing everything off!

(I use Euro Fx as trigger entries, watch the euro)

This morning, is there anything more annoying than Crapvision 'expluhnaining' what limit down means every 5 minutes?

With this limit down move, anybody know what the dividend yield on the Canadian energy trusts will be. Why are these not a 'no-brainer' buy here at these yields.

703271[/snapback]

At $30 a barrel, which I think is probably a reasonable target, they will be losing money.

Archived