B4 The Bell Humpday September 15

Hiding Bear

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at the ferocity and damage of the of the Cane, the technicals of the market (the Dow formed an expanding triangle on the 5 minute chart and the Spoo broke trend as TE pointed out ) and the Astro's for the next week I will be a buyer of more Spoo puts on a clean break of 1120 tomorrow and I will add puts on a break of 1113 and i will add with both hands on a break of 1100. Should we break 1100 we are in free fall. ;)

Watch for some support at 1092 and the ol' 1080. I agree however.

Tanks TE & B4.

My own non-technical opinion is that we hit a short term top and it may take a few days or so to gather some momentum to the downside.

Plunger, Walter Maestri, The guy from New Orleans with 10,000 body bags. Yeah, that's what you call effective advertising. Now if the Kerry campaign would only use tactics like that.

"Walter Maestri says he has 10,000 body bags in the event of a Bush win"

Effective, no?

very!

This just keeps getting better! If I remember right Bill Burkett the nut with a axe to grind lives 25 miles west of Abiline in Baird, Tx. So much for See BS unimpeachable source.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

CBS Guard Documents Traced to Texas Kinko's...

WASH POST: Documents allegedly written by deceased officer that raised questions about Bush's service with Texas National Guard bore markings showing they had been faxed to CBS News from a Kinko's copy shop in Abilene, Texas... Developing...

http://drudgereport.com/

More

Texas Democrat operatives linked to possible memo source

By Phil Magness

The New York Times is reporting that Bill Burkett, a disgruntled former national guardsman and longtime peddler of anti-Bush conspiracy theories involving the president's Texas Air National Guard Service, is connected in an undisclosed manner and extent to the CBS forged memos scandal. Says the Times:

http://www.chronicallybiased.com/index.php?itemid=1544

As many of you have read based on my prior "Death Of Brands" rants here and in M2M, the Coke numbers are no surprise, and are not at all indicatived of a trend away from syrupy sweet beverages per se.? The death of brands like Coca-Cola and Kraft is all about store brands and other unadvertised brands which are competing purely on price alone at the point of sale.? Their cost base is lower, and people are shopping more on price than quality.? The worse life gets for average Americans, the more traction this trend will gain.

Very simple.

Already been happening for about 18 months here in NL.

Supers selling branded products and store brand goods have been locked in a "reduce your price to zero" death struggle to get the punters in the door.

Margins are non-existent and the percentage share of these supers vs their peers has remained unchanged.But two German chains Aldi and Lidl are taking increased market share every month.They sell no branded goods and only their own store brands that are dirt cheap compared to the majors own brands and just silly cheap compared to major brands.Permanent low pricing and no special offers.Quality ain't bad either.

Guess what the profile of their customers used to be----University educated and immigrant poor.Now more and more "middle class" are using these cheapomarkets! Home refi's stopped about 3 years ago,here and credit is nowhere near as easy in the US.So,if money gets tighter in the US--the expensive branded product makers can kiss their ass bye-bye.JMHO!

Oh yeah,forgot to add that the major supers have been turning the screws on the brand manufacturers like Unilever.Sell it to us cheap or we won't stock it.

I'm not sure it is the "death of brands" but the sunset position of many of these blue chip brands are emerging. The onestalked about are becoming commodities instead of specialized products eroding the price premium.

Most brands have been around for decades and will take another decade or so to die. They were invented and kept around by continual advertising on limited media. However, with the expansion of media options, the audience has been diluted so communicating to your target market is now harder. In addition, the targeted audience is bored with the brand. Afterall, who cares if your washing is whiter than white - Just fecking wash it ,make it clean, do it now, and make sure it is cheaper is what the consumer is saying!

Re-invent yourself or die is the reality for a brand. Wtf can you do with Coke since it is really only a Carbonated sugar'd drink. It will not teach the world to sing unless it is laced with some halucigenic adititive. As Prez of Venezuala commented it is cheaper to get a barrel of oil rather than barrel of liquid coke.

There are still new brands coming to market but they'll not be able to follow the path of theBoston Consultancy group and all the MBA textbook.

As per Doc's comments that 'security' in Iraq is failing before the eyes of the world:

US military officers in Baghdad have warned they cannot guarantee the security of the perimeter around the Green Zone, the headquarters of the Iraqi government and home to the US and British embassies, according to security company employees.

At a briefing earlier this month, a high-ranking US officer in charge of the zone's perimeter said he had insufficient soldiers to prevent intruders penetrating the compound's defences.

The US major said it was possible weapons or explosives had already been stashed in the zone, and warned people to move in pairs for their own safety. The Green Zone, in Baghdad's centre, is one of the most fortified US installations in Iraq. Until now, militants have not been able to penetrate it.

But insurgency has escalated this week, spreading to the centre of Baghdad. The zone is home to several thousand Iraqis, and on Sunday it came under the heaviest attack since it was established. Up to 60 unexploded rockets were found inside its perimeters after a five-hour barrage.

The US military defended the actions of its helicopter gunship pilots, who killed at least a dozen Iraqi civilians who were surrounding a disabled Bradley armoured fighting vehicle in Baghdad's Haifa street on Sunday. US military officials said the Kiowa helicopters, which fired into a crowd, were shooting in self-defence and had not violated US rules of engagement.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/e0214956-074f-11d...000e2511c8.html

~10:41pm~ EST

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH ABILENE KINKOS: Bill Burkett has a standing account with the Kinkos in Abilene Texas, and while the lady who answered the phone would not be more specific she did say Burkett was in there last week - she waited on him on last (a week ago) Tuesday....

http://kmclive.com/

Sure rather I had some VIA shorted! :)

tchai'

imho the coke warning caught people by suprise for several reasons. One of the most important reasons is that coke and food in general is suppose to be recession proof. What does it say about the economy when consumers choose to cutback on soft drinks?

. . .

Inventories were built in anticipation of higher demand for final tech products. Higher demand has not materialized. If in fact demand actually decreases from current levels then tech is in for a world of pain. A combination of weak demand, high inventories and excess capacity (which is just now coming on line and is responsible for the high gross margins bulls are so excited about) will be tech 2000-01 all over again.

Imho, that will be a surprise to all tech bulls that one minor industry downgrade has not prepared the market for. That is why the CLS warning was so significant. 45% of CLS revenues last year came from LU, IBM CSCO, SUNW. If they are cutting back production, how is this inventory going to be consumed?

Rog,

Many tanks for your reasoned and detailed response.

thanks Rog-GOOD stuff! B)

Group offers $50,000 for proof of Bush service

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/14/...xans/index.html

"Bush's dishonesty about missing from service during Vietnam goes to the heart of his presidency. He was dishonest then just as he is misleading us about why we went to war with Iraq. He dodges responsibility then just as he dodges responsibility for Iraq today."

Somebody step forward with the proof and collect. :rolleyes:

High tide in Destin Florida is simultaneous with landfall of Ivan.  Ugly

Expect the very worst...ships driven far inland, explosions...etc.

What a shame Plunger, Destin & Ft Walton have such great beaches.

Sugarcane sand & emerald color water.

What's left will be "on sale" once the stuff stops flying.

My ex was raised there and raved about it. I was literally flying directly over there a week ago and contemplating looking at living there. Flying over that stretch of coast checking out the landscape, the barrier islands, the ports and the oil facilities was pretty cool...and it will not look the same tomorrow.

If you want to see a female reporter who is having a hard time staying in camera shot, tune to the Weather Channel. She's in Mobile...live!

It is heaven and the people there were great when I was there. Nothing but a blast the whole time I was there.

Myself and 3 other Navy divers damn near lost our lives in Panama City during a hurricane. That huge county pier in Panama City beach, the one reporters refer to, is where it all began. Waves were maybe just 10 feet below the deck. We took the plunge off the end of it.

About a quarter of a mile from there, we all crawled on our hands and knees onto the beach. I don't think we said 2 words to one another or to anyone else for the rest of the day.

We were all trying to make up for the excitement we lost. Panama City had shut down on Labor Day weekend due to the hurricane.

I had my palm read a few months ago,.... The palm reader said I had a near death experience. I was like ,... ahhh yeah, sure did. There's 3 more guys out there, right now, like me, that can't shake that fearful memory.

Now you can see I how I believed your story about the stun gun. :lol:

Archived