Sears

The Softer Side of Sears

=====================

I assume you have all seen the reports about how Sears is treating its reservist employees who are called up?

By law, they are required to hold their jobs open and available, but nothing more. Usually, people take a big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of being called up.

Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years. Their normal period of 30 days was beyond the legal requirement. Sears went from 30 days to two years.

I submit that Sears is an exemplary corporate citizen and should be recognized for its contribution.

I suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them why we are there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well deserves.

From The Mountain:

My flight instructor, Julius Alexander, forwarded me the above. I thought it was another one of those internet hoaxes so I checked it. It's true.

In a world of corporate greed, perhaps Sears' example can teach us all how to fly.

The following link explains things better and has a link that lists other employers that go beyond the legal requirement:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/sears.php

From MountainWings.com ? The Daily Inspirational Email

Two birthdays today!

bdaycake.gif Happy Birthday, Bird D Durr.

bdaycake.gif Happy Birthday, phatbubble.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the B-Day message, Glad.................................

Nothing would make the BirdMan more happy than to see a few hundred point drop today..........................

Or if fellow April 9th B-Dayer Hugh Hefner would invite Mr. Bird to the Playboy Mansion for some fun.....................

Both scenarios are not likely....................But at least a Bird can dream........................... :)

Suctors and Stoolwethers

There are some very interesting Stoolwethers charts this morning, both from what they tell us about themselves, and about the market. Among those which caught my eye were:

AhOL

BM

Crisco

Inhell

Mr. Bill

Market Maker Mafia

ChinaMart

PiG

General McClellan

General Custer

Might get your wish Bird...Europe a sea of red..

Just started reading "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" which I've been meaning to do for years. What a great book! Those bucket shops are intriguing, never knew such a thing existed..

Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years. Their normal period of 30 days was beyond the legal requirement. Sears went from 30 days to two years.

Sears certainly doing more of the right thing than American Airlines..

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/b...usiness/1853579

"FORT WORTH -- When the war in Iraq ends, dozens of American Airlines employees now serving in the armed forces may come home to the thanks of a grateful nation, but no job."

"Allied Pilots Association records show that 151 of the 2,500 pilots with the lowest seniority are now serving with the military, said union spokesman Gregg Overman.

Airline and union officials said they regret that pilots now serving the country could soon get layoff notices in the mail."

"Federal law requires that companies preserve the jobs of reservists and National Guard members called to active duty, but those protections don't apply when groups of employees get laid off. "

Archived