Gaming Uncle Al

I've been lucky, my father-in-law has mostly listened to me the last few months, he sold some Lucent to lock in the capital loss. This is where I'd concentrate on family members who won't listen -- tell them to lock in at least a $3000 capital loss, they can always throw away their money again (buy it back) after 30 days.

SB

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Old Greenie did tell the truth today which is interesting considering he generally avoids the truth at all costs." - brian4

In a snippet that I saw on TV this evening, Al Green pointed out that a wave of retirees will hit Social Security and Medicare in 2010 or 2012.

Translation: cash flow goes negative, and the Enron accounting of these entities ("trust funds" full of IOU's with NO ASSET BACKING) comes to light.

That's when the Hypertiger scenario hits the fan. Al has warned, and he ain't just crying 'wolf.'

Just starting to watch AG's replay and will never comprehend how so many public people, be they stars, athletes, CEO,s, philanthropists, etc., have such bad teeth. I mean it's not like you can't afford a dentist. Yacking to the camera and teeth are missing, crooked, yellow, and everybody in your audience is seeing it. The other AG, Al Gore, hired somebody to teach him how to dress and act like a man. I say he lost because his teeth (yikes) cost him the dentist vote in FL....

BW

And I am not a dentist, but I did spend 5 excruciating years in braces during my FURmative years.. :ph34r:

Best commentary you've ever written, Mark.

FT: Bond insurers face structured product risk

These structured products will be the "eve of destruction" of the financial gardent of eden

XL Capital, one of the CDO bagholders, er, insurers just report

an EPS of $1.56.

The Street was expecting $1.79 EPS.

Will be interesting to see what the reaction will be tomorrow.

I knew something was up when one of the major broker--for-ages was upgrading this Bermuda triangle a couple of days back. ;)

Greg and Ned are right!  Old Greenie did tell the truth today which is interesting considering he generally avoids the truth at all costs.  I think he knows the jig is up and is starting to salvage what is left of his reputation.

YES this was not the same Sir Printsalot - he tossed up a big flag today. an extremely ominous sign that should be clear to anyone who can actually listen to an entire sentence of his and remember how it started 4 or 5 minutes earlier.

curiously, his diction, vocabulary, and grammar are perfect - he just...talks.....slowly...and emphatically. some people who crave the power of being listened to do this with pathological regularity.

subscriptionMarket Status (2/11/2003) :

As we predicted, the Nasdaq 100 and S&P 500 indexes moved lower today due to the large amounts of resistive volume that occurred to the upside yesterday afternoon. There were two moderately large supportive VMA spikes to the downside today that may cause the market to move higher in the short-term, but these spikes are not anywhere near the level we would need to see in order to cause a mid or long-term reversal in trends. The volume spikes we saw to the downside today should be lessened in their weighing on the market since the market is in a downtrend. Overall, we believe that in the short-term the market may move up slightly before continuing down and that in the mid and long-term the market will continue moving on its current downtrend.

Senator Bunning - who is this guy - who voted for him - give yourself an upper cut. What a KNUCKLE HEAD.

The people of Kentucky voted for him. Where is your constituency? I doubt if you have one. He told the truth Al is incompetent and should retire! I also notice most onthis board think Bush is stupid. I wonder how many of you have held office and have MBA's ? Enough said.

Senator Bunning - who is this guy - who voted for him - give yourself an upper cut. What a KNUCKLE HEAD.

The people of Kentucky voted for him. Where is your constituency? I doubt if you have one. He told the truth Al is incompetent and should retire! I also notice most onthis board think Bush is stupid. I wonder how many of you have held office and have MBA's ? Enough said.

I agree with others here today...

Greenspan was less ambiguous than he has been in the past.

I get the feeling that he is exhausted trying to burn the candle at both ends.

Trying to prop up the dollar while hoping to get a chance to jamb to futures. He has not had much of a chance lately due to the bond market and the housing bubble.

Today, someone on bubblevision stated that he hopes to see the 10 year bond up to at least 5.0%. If that happens, the housing bubble will implode.

I believe he told them in so many words today "I am doing everything I can do, it is your turn".

I also was surprised to see him suggest spending restraint by the states. He was very gentle on this point and used about 50 words to say " the states need to stop spending wastefully".

He also mentioned the fact that raising taxes at the state level will hurt their economic prosperity.

Usually, Greenspan is so ambiguous that he uses 10,000 words to say absolutely nothing. Today was not the case. Also, the politicians did not hear what they wanted to hear.

They wanted him to say that cutting taxes was stupid. They also wanted him to say that the Feds should prop up the states with cash to help them pay for their wasteful spending habits. I think they were hoping he would also suggest that the states would need to raise taxes.

They were looking for a way out...they did not get it.

The idiot state politicians need to CUT spending. They are resistant to this.

Archived