Weak End B4 The Bell

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bush Cites Tax Cuts as Engine for Home Sales

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) said on Saturday his tax cuts helped fuel the recent surge in home sales that has helped push homeownership to record levels in the United States.

The Republican president, whose re-election campaign this year has been hit by Democratic criticism over slow job growth, pointed in his weekly radio address to a gain in February home sales as evidence of a growing economy.

"More Americans can afford a new home. Incomes are rising. The unemployment rate is falling. Mortgage rates are low. And because of tax relief, Americans have more to save, spend and invest -- and that means millions of American families have moved into their first homes," Bush said.

. . .

The president's address featured many of the homeownership themes he voiced this week in the Southwestern battleground states of New Mexico and Arizona, where anal cysts said his support of efforts to increase minority homeownership could resonate with Hispanic voters.

Bush touted his signing of the American Dream Down Payment Act, designed to help low-income Americans afford the down payments and closing costs on their first homes. The president said he had asked Congress to provide an annual $200 million for the program.

He also emphasized his support for zero down-payment loans for first-time buyers whose mortgages are guaranteed by the Federal Housing Administration, more money for home-purchase consumer counseling and tax credits for builders who construct homes affordable to lower-income families.

:o

And here in our part of the world:

http://www.canada.com/windsor/

TOP STORIES

Ford cuts 650 jobs

About 650 people are expected to lose their Ford factory jobs, probably for good, in an extensive reorganization of the company's Windsor operations that is far worse than the CAW had feared. Ford of Canada Ltd. revealed Thursday it will cut 10 per cent of its local workforce when it cancels four shifts in two Windsor-area plants and creates two new shifts in other plants.

March 27, 2004 is 180 degrees from the high of May 22, 2001 on the Square of Nine. Yeah, you remember that high, the one that led into September 11, 2001.

And speaking of September 11, 2001, March 26, 2004 is related to September 11, 2001 on both the lunar and spiral calenders.

Weather is nice. Going to see how many bushes I can kill, oops, I mean plant :grin:

Gates Says Web Stocks in 'Mini-Bubble'

Saturday March 27, 7:38 am ET

REDMOND, Wash. (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates on Friday said that investors had created a "mini-bubble" by driving Internet stocks sharply higher.

"We are sort of back in a mini-bubble era in terms of people expecting a lot in terms of these valuations, but I don't think we'll see the same exit rate of companies that we saw back in the real bubble. There are some strong companies who are doing things right," Gates said

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/040327/tech_gates_1.html

Unfortunately, I am not that close to hm otherwise I would be driving one already. It is interesting though that he is the only person that always has a friendly greeting when meeting him in the elevator. He is even nice to my dog which is more than I can say about some people.

Archived