Jonestown Countdown

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spoke to one of my friends yesterday, he's been mentioned here before, him and his wife have both received pay chops and his son didn't get his $12k grant at USC this year. Money is getting quite tight for him now.

His employer just chopped their entire India office/sweatshop so my bud no longer has 5+ people reporting to him. He's doing their work now in addition to other stuff. If his firm goes under his finances will implode quickly.

Financial distress in California is growing and spreading, though maybe not in southern ca yet.

July 20th - and still no budget agreement in CA to close the $24 billion shortfall in our ~$100 billion budget. The state is getting very near default. (Rumor is now Oakland, CA, will go into default soon). Now a possible strike by CA state workers:

5:04 PM Eastern - July 20, 2009

California state workers will vote to strike; protest Governor Schwarzenegger

By Kate Thomas

As the governor and legislators continue to battle over the budget in California, leaders of SEIU Local 1000 have issued a strike authorization vote to the union's 95,000 members beginning today, July 20. SEIU Local 1000 President Yvonne Walker sent a letter to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger last week , declaring the union "will fight" his latest proposal to pile on a fourth furloughed work day for more than 230,000 state workers.

No end in sight: The Governor must've decided he was on a roll, because just days after issuing the latest pay cut threat, he ordered state department heads to eliminate 2,000 s jobs on top of the 5,000 positions he wants to cut as part of his budget solution. "Governor, we've sacrificed. And we've now reached our limit," said Walker.

http://www.seiu.org/2009/07/california-sta...warzenegger.php

why is the VIX increasing as SPX rises?

that's already been answered as it relates to last weeks action: VIX... today however, it looks like (from eyeballing the quote screen), that IV is increasing as a result of the High OTM call volume today (and increasing premium for otm calls) in SPX Aug options. (for example, about 30% of the open intrest in Aug 1000 calls were traded today). FWIW.

http://www.traders-talk.com/mb2/index.php?showtopic=108834

true/not true

why is the VIX increasing as SPX rises?

that's already been answered as it relates to last weeks action: VIX... today however, it looks like (from eyeballing the quote screen), that IV is increasing as a result of the High OTM call volume today (and increasing premium for otm calls) in SPX Aug options. (for example, about 30% of the open intrest in Aug 1000 calls were traded today). FWIW.

Shorts scrambling to hedge their positions?

The Inspector General says 23Trillion

The treasury says 2 trillion. 21 Trillion

difference. is that a lot?

I have long been a Faber fan, but when he recently insisted that it was 100% likely that the U.S. would suffer Zimbabwe hyperinflation, he lost a lot of credit with me.

Just keep the change

Zimbabwe_$100_trillion_2009_Obverse.jpg

My 2 cts.

Risk assets continue to deliver. There is only one trade in town, and that's long or short the global reflation theme. Longs are winning for now. Today, EEM broke to a new high for the move, following the Naz, EM debt, and other assets of late.

Dow comes next, then S&P, then you name it... all else will follow to new highs for the move as financial assets recover. Then come the earnings and economic "surprises", which I suspect will be the trigger for putting the Fear of God into under-invested managers. Then, after that, it will be a good time to take some dough off the table. But for the moment, I still see things aligned to the upside.

Still long BVN and PCU

My buddy at Morgan Stanley said over the weekend that their global risk demand index - which measures global appetite for all risk assets - is breaking out to new highs, simply confirming what you say.

I don't like it.

I don't understand it.

But I don't matter....

In reference to my Faber thing above, I really have to say that if in 2006, you were to have told the Weirmarians that the Fed would expand its balance sheet by $XX trillion dollars, and that it would begin direct purchase of Treasurys, and that the deficit would balloon to $1.5 trillion (or whatever it is now) and all the rest of the past 18 months, and then asked:

"Under this scenario, where do you think the dollar index will trade, gold will trade, and U.S. 10-year interest rates will be?"

They'd have had a cow, and said, something like, "Dollar index at 40, Gold north of $2,000/oz, and double digit 10-year rates."

Which would have been reasonable, arguably, ceteris paribus.

Except, this ain't ceteris paribus... which I think is creating blindspots for Faber.

Grinding Gears- Professional Edition

by Lee Adler, Monday, July 20, 2009, in Professional Edition, Today's Markets | Permalink |Comments (0) Edit This rally looks pretty good on the surface, buy when you tear the veneer off and look at the inner workings, it’s pretty clear that not all gears are meshing. As the engine is spinning uphill it is losing momentum. Click here to download complete report in pdf format (Professional Edition Subscribers). Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time, you don’t find the information useful, I will give you a full refund. It’s that simple. Click here for more information.

As the governor and legislators continue to battle over the budget in California, leaders of SEIU Local 1000 have issued a strike authorization vote to the union's 95,000 members beginning today, July 20. SEIU Local 1000 President Yvonne Walker sent a letter to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger last week , declaring the union "will fight" his latest proposal to pile on a fourth furloughed work day for more than 230,000 state workers.

Bring it on union boyz. My anti-strike megaphone is ready for you.

Archived