Introspective incursions

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

w?s=%5EAORD

A touch wavery but All Ords managed a gain of +0.4%. IT +1.7% remained leader and Miners -0.3% and Materials -0.1% were the only reds.

Generally green in Asia although China -0.2%. For the others it's Honkers +0.7%, India +1.3% and Nikkers +1.7%.

On to UK/Europe:

image;size=239x110

image;size=239x110

image;size=239x110

I caught a "news snip" last night while flicking though the channels

The talking clam® mentioned that consumers should get ready to see gasolina at $4-5 per gallon by the summer in some parts of the good 'ol U S of Aholes

I was a little confused :huh:

I mean, hadn't we had all seen charts here, on Mishypoo's Misleading Economic Analysis, ZeroCrud, and elsewhere showing demand for gasoline in a freefall collapse?

So, $4-5 by summer?

What gives?

It appears to me that demand may be sluggish -- but as for actual supply/demand or inventory/pricing playing out in the "real world" -- forget it

The integrated oil companies are actually going to jack prices to make up for the demand shortfall which is resulting in revenue pressures

Reason being, the marginal consumer -- the one that is already combining trips and cutting down on driving -- the one that would be most responsive to price decreases at the pump -- is not going back to their old habits. In fact, they did not come back to the pump in the past few months when prices took a welcome dip and even broke $3.00 in some areas.

So "they" are going to stick it to the folks that "just have to drive"

Where do most of these a-hole-have-to-drive dickwads live? In the affluent parts of the East and West coasts, and that's why you'll see a $5/gal headline print in those areas. Not because of "pipeline limitations", or "strong demand", but because that's where the money is! And moreover, that's where "the attitude" is.

og020507f.gif

Fine with me

Still amazes me to see so many vehicles with just one person, the driver

So few using car pooling

So few companies taking advantage of telecommuting

WHAT-A-COUNTRY-YAKOV.jpg

Still amazes me to see so many vehicles with just one person, the driver

It's the same here. Copenhagen has the right idea:

Copenhagen, one of the world’s most bicycle-friendly cities , has begun turning its extensive network of bicycle paths into bike superhighways. The Danish capital has more bicycles than people, and cycling is so popular that the city’s numerous bike paths can become congested during peak time.

The proposed bike highways will be dotted with pit stops where it will be possible for cyclists to pump their tires and fix their bike chains. Moreover, synchronized traffic lights prioritizing bicycles over cars will bring riders from the suburbs into Copenhagen safely and more efficiently. Copenhagen’s municipal bicycle program manager hopes that the bike highways will reduce traffic and increase the percentage of suburban commuters cycling to and from the city to over 50 percent by 2015.

copenhagen_cyclists_for_bike_highways.jpg

http://www.celsias.com/article/bike-superhighways-comint-copenhagen/

Archived