IDS World Markets Wed 18th March 09

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Japanese Women Hunt for Husbands as Refuge From Deepening Slump

Women the Japanese call ?marriage-hunters? are looking to tie the knot as companies from Toyota Motor Corp. to Sony Corp. fire thousands of workers and the nation heads for its biggest annual economic contraction since 1945. Marriages surged to a five-year high of 731,000 in 2008 as wages stagnated and the unemployment rate rose for the first time in six years.

The trend marks a reversal for women who put careers over families after Japan implemented equal labor rights 23 years ago. The number of marriages in the following decade slid 4.5 percent to an annual average of 746,000 compared with the decade before. Despite equal rights, women still make 43 percent less than men, giving them more reason to seek a partner during recessions.

Business is booming at Green, a marriage-hunting bar in Tokyo?s nightlife district of Roppongi. Men pay 11,340 yen ($115) per visit to have waiters set them up with women, who get in free. The bar is booked solid on weekends, and membership is up 26 percent this year, according to owner Yuta Honda.

Here is a follow up piece on Jon Stewart, the comedian who took Jim Cramer apart on TV. ;)

Has a Comedian Just Saved America?

By PAM MARTENS

As testimony to how Orwellian life has become under the outrages of Wall Street hubris, last week saw a comedian, who poses as an anchor on a fake news show, grab the reins of the Wall Street investigation from the actual investigators in Congress.

Either Jon Stewart is the smartest man in America or he has incredible instincts. In a week’s time, he has zeroed in, like a heat-seeking missile, on the core of Wall Street’s malady. How insightful of Stewart, host of Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show,” to rationalize that the core of Wall Street’s corruption might well be the same core that it has drawn the darkest curtain around: trading.

CP

Japanese Women Hunt for Husbands as Refuge From Deepening Slump

Women the Japanese call “marriage-hunters” are looking to tie the knot as companies from Toyota Motor Corp. to Sony Corp. fire thousands of workers and the nation heads for its biggest annual economic contraction since 1945. Marriages surged to a five-year high of 731,000 in 2008 as wages stagnated and the unemployment rate rose for the first time in six years.

The trend marks a reversal for women who put careers over families after Japan implemented equal labor rights 23 years ago. The number of marriages in the following decade slid 4.5 percent to an annual average of 746,000 compared with the decade before. Despite equal rights, women still make 43 percent less than men, giving them more reason to seek a partner during recessions.

Business is booming at Green, a marriage-hunting bar in Tokyo’s nightlife district of Roppongi. Men pay 11,340 yen ($115) per visit to have waiters set them up with women, who get in free. The bar is booked solid on weekends, and membership is up 26 percent this year, according to owner Yuta Honda.

All I have to say is I want to meet some chubby, gay bankers!

post-67-1237361126_thumb.jpg

w?s=^AORD

Down slightly for the day, however, I have the feeling that this could be a short term pullback. All Ords finished -0.2% led by Miners, -2.7%, Materials -2.4% and Healthcare -1.4%. Utilities retained the upside lead, +2.3% followed by Consumer Discretionary +1.8% and Financials +1.2%.

A sizeable drop for the big miners: RIO -8.7% after a downgrade and BHP -2.6%. Golds for the most part went south, Newcrest -2.3%, Newmont -4.7% and Lihir +1.6%.

Oils mixed: Woodside -1.2%, Santos +1.5% and Caltex +5.1%.

Green for Asia: China +0.2%, Honkers +1.8%, India +2.1% and Nikkers +1.6%.

Over to UK/Europe:

Footsie

image;size=239x110

DAX

image;size=239x110

CAC 40

image;size=239x110

http://finance.yahoo.com/

I have decided to publish a Bull Count (blue), so as to effectively kill whatever's left of this rally. :lol: In fact, if my preferred count (red) is right, we should be very very close to a top here. If my preferred count is wrong -- well, here's yer bull count.

This advance represents one of the more ambiguous counts I've seen in a while.

For everyone looking for 820: we could very well get it. But be aware that if we do, the bottom is most likely sealed for the time being.

Still favoring the bear case here, until proven otherwise. My preferred count says we still make new lows, possibly after a retrace and another bounce to marginal new highs.

post-160-1237371261_thumb.png

China says no to uncle sugar.

"China rejected Coca-Cola Co.?s $2.3 billion bid for China Huiyuan Juice Group Ltd., saying the biggest foreign takeover of a Chinese company would have been ?negative for competition? in the country?s drinks market. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Since China has a big chunk of treasuries and uncle Sam has been handing out dollars like lollipops Coke would in some way be buying a chinese company with money provided by the chinese dollah recycling program, :lol:

Seinfeld Stock Rally Built on Empty Chatter

March 18 (Bloomberg) -- This may end up being the Seinfeld rally. After all, the stock market?s recent rise seems to be based on nothing, aside from empty chatter.

Over the past week or so, the president and his minions, members of Congress, and a host of bank chief executives have made a concerted effort to spin the market. The message has been clear: It?s time to get on board with Team America where the glasses and bank balance sheets are officially half full.

Archived