A Close of a Different Color

Congress has a lot of bills introduced that don't go through. If it really would take from Wall Street and give to Main Street in some way, I don't think it will pass. Has Congress EVER passed a bill in the past few decades that would take from Wall Street and give to Main Street?

Some Aussie stoolies will remember that Australian share transactions included stamp duty [tax] on all transactions, until, about mid 2001. This worked OK, and, as said, was effectively just like paying a bit more commission per trade.

Not saying trading tax is a good thing at all. Just that moving to a longer trading timeframe is a work around.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to be as bullish on America as the next guy but how can you be when idiots like this are taken seriously. Seriously enough to be a Senator and seriously enough for this proposal not to be derided as lunacy by the main stream press.

Sen. Nelson introduces war bonds bill to finance military in Iraq and Afghanistan

The United States would begin financing its military engagements in Iraq and Afghanistan with war bonds under new legislation introduced Tuesday.

Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) unveiled the "United States War Bonds Act of 2009" early this afternoon, which would authorize the Treasury Department to begin selling bonds to fund the wars.

The bonds, Nelson said, would be purposed with helping to pay for the military efforts, in particular the surge of 30,000 troops in Afghanistan, without having to resort to the "war surtax" that has been discussed by some liberals in the House and Senate.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-roo...ilitary-efforts

Now this clown hauled out this idea a week ago. Claiming the US didn't pay for WWII with taxes but war bonds. Well except for the fact that the top tax rate in 1945 was 94%. I suppose it is unreasonable to expect a US Senator to understand the concept of fungibility, as in a Treasury Bond obligation is a Treasury obligation. Naming it something else makes no difference. Well it will in Nebraska balllot boxes I sppose

Just shoot me.

On the trading tax..

Here's the thing -- It would be basically no different to having higher comissions.

Remember how high comissions were, only say 10 years ago?

Was there no profitable trading then? Of course there was profitable trading then.

What was the difference? The timeframe!!

Right now, with low comissions, and no trading tax, even retail specs can play intraday squiggles.

With a higher transaction cost, all it does is blow out the movement needed to clear costs.

Net net: Trade on a longer timeframe..

I thought the reasoning behind the bill was to help make Wall St. pay for some of the damage they have caused. I had nothing to do with the credit crisis. Why should I have to pay this tax? I already pay over 50% in taxes. I will even get hit on a losing trade. This is pure bullsheet. When is enough enough? They say they are trying to help the consumer build confidence, they are trying to help mainstreet get jobs, get back on their feet. They don't care about us. They only care about power, stupid programs, extracting money from where ever they can get it including gutting the middle class.

Now, this is not a Dem or Repub rant. Both parties need to start practicing a little fiscal prudence. If they get this little deception through, what's next? I cannot accept this? It is theivery, plain and simple!

On the trading tax..

---------------

Congress has a lot of bills introduced that don't go through. If it REALLY would take from Wall Street and give to Main Street in some way, I don't think it will pass. Has Congress EVER passed a bill in the past few decades that would take from Wall Street and give to Main Street? Congress would not take money AWAY from a Special Interest Group that finances their campaigns. Congress just doesn't work that way.

Like Cap said. :rolleyes:

Anyway, you have heard enough from me on this. Hopefully the bill doesn't get off the ground and I also can't see congress punishing their pals on Wall St.

Whenever I'm away,the market tanks.....

I guess I should go skiing more often!Caught it right as the blizzard hit and conditions were awesome.Mammoth is a freakin ripoff though,pricey as hell.The first dinner out was $140 and I held back on (some) of the drinks :ninja:

Did I mention $87 a DAY for lift tickets?......No deflation here.At least the gap up in my muni's paid for the trip.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE PSYCOLOGICAL MANAGEMENT OF THE VOTERS

"US Senator to understand the concept of fungibility, as in a Treasury Bond obligation is a Treasury obligation."

Its all about managing the psycology of the voters - all treasury bonds issues are "war" bonds if part of the proceeds are spent on wars

Its all about rearranging the deck chairs on the debt titanic.

They just want to paint one of the chairs a nicer color and call it a "war bond" chair.

So its not mistaken for a nasty voter infriendly "tarp bailout the banksters bond" chair

Im sure the same "war bonds" will be labelled "peace bonds" in democrat leaning states!!!!! :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Its like getting the TARP money back from the banks so they can spend it on main street .

ITS ALL ABOUT THE PSYCOLOGICAL MANAGEMENT OF THE VOTERS

"US Senator to understand the concept of fungibility, as in a Treasury Bond obligation is a Treasury obligation."

Its all about managing the psycology of the voters - all treasury bonds issues are "war" bonds if part of the proceeds are spent on wars

Its all about rearranging the deck chairs on the debt titanic.

They just want to paint one of the chairs a nicer color and call it a "war bond" chair.

So its not mistaken for a nasty voter infriendly "tarp bailout the banksters bond" chair

Im sure the same "war bonds" will be labelled "peace bonds" in democrat leaning states!!!!! :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Its like getting the TARP money back from the banks so they can spend it on main street .

it's all about destroying the private sector middle claSS, economically and spiritually

they will easily succeed at the first, and totally fail at the second, much to their surprise

GS looks like it is on a 150 target path...this is a hugely important level as should be obvious from the chart, and it looks like that is where the 200 day is going to be shortly...

IF somehow the bears can get the squid back under 150, that would be the first sign that possibly we might go and test or take out the March lows.

Well, I need a new washer and dryer, but now that I now Shorty is gonna have to pay for half of it, I guess I'll wait until they get the program passed.

"Big-ticket items like air conditioners, heating systems, washing machines, refrigerators, windows and insulation would likely be covered, Nadel said."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Cash-for-Cau...ml?x=0&.v=1

Archived