B4 The Bell Moonday July 19

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drano,

.... "I remember an Iranian student. ........... I've often wondered about her". .....

Like you, drano, I knew several Iranian students when I was at Fresno in 1972 and 3. One Minou Hemat I have always wondered what happened to her. One of my engineering classes had several iraqi and Iranian students. When one Iranian fella said: "He is from Iraq", I said "Oh, then you're neighbors - you're friends". "NOOoooooo! I had no idea, as America was consumed with Viet Nam at the time and we were supporting the Shaw of Iran and the country looked peaceful and prosperous. I can imagine those two were trying to kill each other not long after they returned home. Have at times wondered what happened to them.

B.S.

Remember the Diego Garcia story? I think I saw a piece on 60 minutes about it, a little while back. Well Gwynne Dyer has written an update:

Britain's capacity for mean and underhanded behaviour towards its former colonial subjects has never been in doubt, but this month saw an especially ugly example. Four years ago, the High Court in London ruled that the former inhabitants of Diego Garcia and the other Chagos Islands, removed from their homeland between 1967 and 1973 to make way for a huge U.S. air base, had been evicted illegally. It looked like an old injustice was finally on the way to being rectified - but that depended on the British government obeying its own courts. Fat chance.

Last month, the British government changed the law to overrule the High Court decision and deny the Chagotians the right to go home after over three decades of exile. It would cost too much, explained the Foreign Office minister, Bill Rammell, and besides several thousand Chagotians returning to the islands would endanger their delicate ecology. (Whereas the Stealth and B-52 bombers on Diego Garcia and the 1 500 American military personnel and 2 000 mostly Filipino civilians who maintain them are as environmentally sound as the 5 000-metre runways they fly from.)

Full Story

You have to feel for the ordinary Iraqui who has had his life turned upside down and lives in fear everyday. When it is all said and done he gets another Saadam. I do not understand where Shrub gets his support my American relatives who are life-long republicans and my Aunt who worked on both Reagan Campaigns are going to vote Dem because they are scared and feel betrayed. Yet the polls show a neck and neck race-who supports this guy and why?? He has put the country in another Viet Nam, built a deficit that can never be paid back and destroyed American goodwill with other Nations-who is supporting this guy and why??

The two parties play the "hate the other side" game very well. Very few people are pro bushman. What they do is hate the other guy cause they have been trained to do so. No one in their right mind could have morally defended Clinton but they were so consumed with hate for the other side, that they ended up defending him.

These dates it looked somewhat similar:

12-10-03

11-21-03

2-4-04

4-15-04

:mellow:

Sorry I asked. All those dates were bottoms. :(

As we stare into the abyss I have now relocated to da land down under and I hope that I will share in the forum for the 1st hour or so of the trading day and the last hour onwards of the same trading day.

Is it the Abyss or not ...I dont know except that I have a huge drawdown and havent made any money in a month :unsure:

But I think we are up till early September and top into Jan 05.

After that its down into last qtr of 2006 with plenty of devastating rallies along the way to < SPX600

Sledd: -- yes, I posted a message to you earlier which I guess you didn't see, that CECO was down 1.46 after hours !

I also edged in to the beginning of a put position on APOL in the mid-93's. Will add more if they start another leg down.

Maybe someone will figure out that in a poor economy, students will be going to inexpensive junior colleges and trade schools instead of expensive for-profit schools. Ooops, fundamentals....

Brian,

My take:

There is about 1/3 of the population here that would support Shrub even if he sported a small black moustache and war a swastika on his arm. Many of these nut jobs are fundamentalist religious types and Deep Southerners who care mostly about conservative social issues like abortion and school prayer (my apologies in advance to those who fall into either of these two social groups but maintain the ability to think critically). Others are stong militarists with way too much testosterone pumping through their veins.

The remainder of his support, 1/6 of the population, have their heads where the sun don't shine and simply swallow whole what passes for journalism on American television.

Add to that, the "Rights of the Unborn Child."

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but isn't blowing up a pregnant Iraqi woman with a bomb

the same thing as abortion? Or shooting her in the head, as in Fallujah?

And it sure plays hell with the "Rights of the Unborn Child."

Will it make things better if we all go into the school and pray

for the deceased mother and child?

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Sherlock

Archived