B4 The Bell, Frieday, Jan 30

Is The Top In?

This Might Help You Decide

Get Gas from today's Suctor Watch.. Take a subscribatory to the Anals, for the Gas release you're looking for RIGHT NOW! Along with cycle charts and price targets for 11 other leading market suctors like Oil, Homebuilders, Aerospace, Healthscare, Biodrech, SOX and more!

15 Day Intro Subscribatory. Just $2.99! Get In RIGHT NOW!

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A deflation is never caused by debtors suddenly stopping to finance debt with more debt. There is no limit to the amount of debt that the distressed debtors are willing to take.

Deflation is caused by creditors pulling the plug on a whole economy. It happens when banks do not lend anymore because low interest rates do not cover the risk. It happens when savers take their money from the bank, because the bank is technically bankrupt. It happens when foreign banks stop buying treasuries to keep the dollar propped up.

There's more than one way to skin a cat Howl. When enough people run out of ways to cover their debts repos go up. Soon that repo merchandise is competing with new merchandise as the supply blosoms. This leads to asset value drops leaving more and more underwater on their loans leading to more repos. Meanwhile the lenders are forced to raise their reserves to cover loan losses, leaving them less to lend and therefore they begin to get more selective. Simultaneously the credit worthy , being conservative in nature which is why they are credit worthy, see the deterioration around them, and are reluctant to borrow no matter how pressing the need or how attractive the offer.

All I can say jr is moving cash into

My garden which I use to grow for fun.

My milk cow which I use to milk just to know how.

My chicken just to enjoy

My wood lot that I use to cut for exercise.

And my well pump that I use to think was a novelty.

plus many other things bought or invented.

Have somehow taken on a significance as shiney as gold.

:o B) :rolleyes: B) :rolleyes:

Meanwhile the lenders are forced to raise their reserves to cover loan losses, leaving them less to lend and therefore they begin to get more selective.  Simultaneously the credit worthy , being conservative in nature which is why they are credit worthy, see the deterioration around them, and are reluctant to borrow no matter how pressing the need or how attractive the offer.

This is true for private-sector lenders ... and would long since have deflated the Bubble if they were in the drivers seat.

But the ultimate lender is the U.S. government ... and as the recent push to lower down payments on mortgages indicates, if creditworthy borrowers won't step up to the plate, they'll find uncreditworthy borrowers to lend to.

John Law II is faltering. An important symbolic sign that a second, more determined wave of reflation is coming, would be the replacement of Al Green with a really hardcore hyperinflationist such as Ben Bernanke. :shocked

Jrmfl - I believe there are lements who are itching for a world currency but I think the details, both economic and political, will render this an all but certain impossibility.

What keeps my keel even when I think about all the skuldugery going on is that I remember the gubmint types I occaisonally work with. They're just regular folks.

Nothing sinister there - just folks laboring within whatever bureaucratic structure they happen to be employed by. Trust me, most of the agencies I worked with couldn't pull off any sort of grand stunts.

The onyl ones I worry about are the intelligence and FBI types who can operrate without any serious oversight and a bunch of unchecked power. They can do some odd stuff.

Bu$h has alienated the world against the US. Well, except for poodle boy and his merry cohort of pasty subjects.

So I just can't see the world suddenly allowing Washington to dictate anything over them simply for shiny, colored scraps of paper.

From the front page of todays-National Post an article titled "President sticks to his Ribs" the article is a transcript of the PrezyDent's ( I emphasize Dent) visit to "the Nuthin Much Cafe" yesterday in Roswell NM. "Mr Bush-I need some ribs. Waitress-Mr. President how are you?? Mr. Bush-I'm hungry and I'm going to order some ribs. Waitress-What would you like?? Mr. Bush-Whatever you'd think I'd like" Kinda says it all don't it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

John Law II is faltering. An important symbolic sign that a second, more determined wave of reflation is coming, would be the replacement of Al Green with a really hardcore hyperinflationist such as Ben Bernanke. :shocked

Agree. Still think we'll see Ben The Printer Bernanke cranking up the 21st century version of the printing press - the Fed supercomputer - before we get concentration camps for the unemployed.

Not that AG or GWB couldn't make a move that might be sudden death for our financial system.

In that case, Farmer will be thankful it is -40 and he is very far from Wall Street.

Archived