B$ The Bell, Friday, February 13

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good link, Sherlock. What catastrophe are you going with? I'm betting on the cold weather scenario as described by the meterologists and climatologists who think the world could flip into a new ice age. This would be tough-- but what if we have simultaneous AND consequential economic failure. Plus- no deep freeze/economic failure would be complete without a cholera epidemic.

So you're kids don't take you seriously? You can always eat them during the inevitable famine. :wink2:

HiHat- re Argentina- the suffering in that country has been awful-you just don't read about in the papers over here. Massive unemployment, massive hardship, standard of living imploded from the highest in S.America, the life savings of the middle class gone etc. Sure their stock market the Merval has risen from the ashes but the people continue to suffer. The G-7 told Argentina to start negotiating a debt deal now or no more help. If they don't not receive that help than they are finished. The only thing that has kept them limping along is the help they have received.. ;)

Another "Late Friday Garbage Dump" by the White House...

Release the entire GWB military record, and announce that he'll meet with the 9/11 Commission, and do it ALL on a Friday AFTER the evening network newscasts, knowing that nobody's going to read the Saturday paper...and all will be forgotten by Monday or Tuesday.

Unless, of course there's something really ugly that he's trying to hide.

Reports of a 'mysterious powder' at a New Jersey post office (which later tested negative) and a fire alarm at a Senate Building (prompted by a burnt bagel) were enough for traders to take some profits from the week's strength... As a result, the Nasdaq finished the week with slight losses, and the Dow and S&P 500 ended the week with slight gains.

OK everyone, now let's review:

In 1999, when the stock market was going parabolic, what impact would a burnt bagel have had on the New York Stock Exchange?

To say this is Bubble II is to ignore an ocean of differences between this bull rush and the last one. This one is perpetually at the tipping point, and only massive criminal interventions have kept it from crashing already. I know what they're doing, and I know what the consumer's are thinking and feeling, and I know this is NOT 1999...no matter how much the charts and the numbers might lead one to fall for the ruse. The public knows they've been lied to on a few too many topics lately, and they're not even 1/2 as convinced that this is a real bull market as they were in 1999.

The World in 1999, and the Market in 1999, Vs. the World today and the Market today - as different as the Moon and Mars.

1999: "New Economy Bull"

2004: "Suspended Disbelief Bull"

We are in the land of unintended consequences amid the grandest experiment ever conceived.

"Sell before May and go away."

The boys are gonna front-run the exit.

This Kerry mess is getting legs-huge news across Europe in the papers and on the networks. The lady in question has now been named and her parents interviewed and it has been confirmed she indeed did rush to Africa. The father is quoted in the article as calling "kerry" a sleazeball. It is obvious he (Kerry) was set up and/or he is incredibly stupid. The point is in my view the rubber hose tactics used to prop the markets are being employed here as well, one more ball to be juggled added to the rest-it may be one to many. ;)

Can anybody tell me, what's likely to happen with mortgage rates early next week? I'm buying a house and am right at the point where we lock in the rate. I was watching the ^TNX on Yahoo thurs and fri and it is weird. It goes straight up and then sideways at the end of the day, and then straight down, sideways, then straight up the next morning.

^TNX is what tells you where mortgage rates are, right?

This chart is flopping around like a fish-out-of-water...butt still on the buy side.

Did ok today except I didn't have stops on all the metals and

got stuck in the sudden downdraft so had a small setback.

6 dongs / 7 shorts / 4 metals

I keep hearing about Kerry and the viet vets throwing their

medals into a sewer - except that Kerry didn't throw his. I was

there that day - on Pennsylvanis Av in DC in the viet vets against the

war marching in the Nixon Anti-Inaugural demonstration.

I threw my presidential citation and vietnam service medal over the

fence at the Whitehouse that day. I don't recall Kerry there, but he might

have been. I didn't see anyone throw theirs into a sewer though.

Personally I won't be voting for the guy mostly for the fact that he

is a bonesman and an elitist apologist, IMO. Nor will I vote for that

Bush fellow. If Nader doesn't run I may have to sit this one out.

HYPERTIGER...I ask this question in respect for your opinion.

Why has a disaster like Argentina not imploded into oblivian as yet

They are fractional reserve backed by debt money as well.???

Argentina is very low in the economic ponzi food chain...

GDP

USA 30%

Japan 17%

Germany 7.5%

Combined they equal 54.5%

Argentina's GDP is 0.66% or 82 times smaller so they can easily be supported by the crumbs which fall off the table from the top...

The US and Japan have a symbiotic relationship and form the top of the global ponzi...All economic systems are top sucking from the bottom...Basically Argentina is in the position it is in because it is being sucked by the top...Cannibalized

The key problem is that the USA on top will self destruct once the bottom is sucked dry...This is already in progress...Domestically in the US the bottom is being cannibalized...has been for decades but now the speed of the suck job has increased...

The entire EU GDP does not equal the US GDP... When the US goes down there will be no economy big enough or strong enough to provide life support...

Last year the US accounted for almost 90% of total World GDP growth...

When the US goes down there will be no one to come to the rescue because everyone else is dependant on US debt production to support portions of their GDP's...some countries are more dependant then others but ultimately everyone is dependant on the US Japan relationship...

A ponzi functions by taking from the bottom to support the top...If you wanted to build a second level on your house and took material from the foundation the structure would become unstable...so instead of putting the material back you then take more to strengthen the top to reduce the shaking...eventually you will take so much from the foundation that the whole structure collapses...

That is what's currently unfolding...

When the US goes down the 45+ year old debt inflationary self delusional bubble which Civilization as it is currently understood depends on will pop violently and the collapse to oblivion will be unstoppable...Some are saying it could even lead to a total breakdown which is far worse than a collapse...The Great Depression was a collapse of a primitive credit system although the event looks like a big deal it was very minor...we are headed for something far larger...an actuall global breakdown is possible...

Eddie I know you can get a cheap ARMS mortgage but frankly if I were you I would lock in the cheapest rate right now that you can get on a 30 yr. Watching TNX won't help! ;)

I'm getting a 15 year fixed, just stressing over which way rates are headed right now. Guess I'll get whatever they're givin' come Tuesday or Wednesday.

From a report on a site...This is the meat of it...

"Figure 1 shows the ratio of the increment in the dollar volume of the U.S. economy's debt, to the increment of the dollar size of Gross Domestic Product. Throughout the 1970s, for every dollar of increase in GDP, there was $1.75 increase in debt; throughout the 1990s, for every dollar of increase in GDP, there was $3.64 increase in GDP. But for the period of 2001-03, every dollar increase in GDP required an increase in debt of $7.11. This is double the 1990s' ratio, and four times that of the 1970s. Thus, this period represents a singularity, indicating that past relationships have broken down, and that a new ordering process has become dominant, one governed by hyperinflation and speculative frenzy.

However, a more precise measure would be to compare debt to the productive portion of GDP, which consists of the productive output of the manufacturing, agriculture, construction, mining, public utilities, and transportation sectors. The productive sectors of the economy represent man's alternation of nature, to produce goods that are consumed by man to produce higher cultural and material levels of development. According to U.S. Commerce Department data, the productive portion of GDP is less than 30% of total GDP. The productive portion of the economy produces the actual wealth from which, ultimately, the debt is paid off.

Still, the Commerce Department's category of the "manufacturing portion of GDP" has significant problems. The Commerce Department reports the "manufacturing sector of GDP" in dollar, not output terms; and it adjusts it by the notorious "Quality Adjustment Factor," which artificially overstates production. Still, the productive sector of GDP brings us closer to what is actually happening.

Figure 2 shows that throughout the 1970s, for every dollar of increase in productive GDP?which we here call real GDP?there was a $4.25 increase in debt; throughout the 1990s, for every dollar of increase in real GDP, there was a $13.90 increase in debt. However, in the 2001-03 period, when real GDP, even in its statistically massaged form, stagnated while debt grew hyperbolically, each dollar of increment in real GDP required a $63.51 increase in debt. The representation goes "off the charts": It defines a singularity, where the system breaks down."

They blame The US Government and or The "Federal Reserve printing money" for this situation...They either don't mention debt backed by debt fractional reserve banking as the cause of this situation or they don't realize it...

Once you put your destiny into the hands of FRB your fate is sealed...this is just the effect of the system...It is designed to do this...

FRB can only inflate debt to it's maximum potential then implode...That is all the system we depend on can do or ultimately accomplish...

Best Buy plans layoffs in Franklin

By BRYAN CORBIN

Daily Journal news editor

[email protected]

Feb. 14-15, 2004

Layoffs are expected at the Best Buy distribution center in Franklin, though the company can?t say how many employees will be laid off or when.

A Best Buy spokeswoman confirmed that the distribution center, formerly owned by Musicland Group Inc., will continue to operate and employ some workers.

With just less than 900 employees, Best Buy is one of Johnson County?s largest employers

http://www.thejournalnet.com/Main.asp?Sect...ArticleID=41770

Archived