B4 The Bell Tuezelday July 13

:D Welcome to B4 The Bell! :D

The earth magnetic North Pole is migrating and is expected to leave Canada and possibly entirely disappear:

The collapse of the Earth's magnetic field, which both guards the planet and guides many of its creatures, appears to have started in earnest about 150 years ago. The field's strength has waned 10 to 15 percent, and the deterioration has accelerated of late, increasing debate over whether it portends a reversal of the lines of magnetic force that normally envelop the Earth.

During a reversal, the main field weakens, almost vanishes, then reappears with opposite polarity. Afterward, compass needles that normally point north would point south, and during the thousands of years of transition, much in the heavens and Earth would go askew.

A reversal could knock out power grids, hurt astronauts and satellites, widen atmospheric ozone holes, send polar auroras flashing to the equator and confuse birds, fish and migratory animals that rely on the steadiness of the magnetic field as a navigation aid. But experts said the repercussions would fall short of catastrophic, despite a few proclamations of doom and sketchy evidence of past links between field reversals and species extinctions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/13/science/13magn.html

Excerpt from Richard Russell, although I can't provide the link:

What I'm afraid of is that this primary bear market, the bear market that I've been writing about since it started in late-1999, is going to end up as the mother all bear markets. It could easily be the worst bear market since the Great Depression of the '30s. Of course, what's been holding the pain at arm's length, what has kept the bear at bay -- has been debt -- the greatest build-up of debt in world history. How has this been allowed to exist?

One reason is that the dollar is the world's reserve currency. Another reason is that other nations want to continue selling to the US. Our overseas friends sell us their services and merchandise, and they pretend they're getting paid -- paid with fiat paper dollars. Our suppliers then turn around and buy up US assets with the paper dollars they receive.

It's a vast, incredible card game, with nobody yet ready to make the "call." Politicians and central bankers the world over simply hope that somehow the game can keep going. There, however, are those who believe the game will terminate somewhere ahead. These people keep their mouths shut and accumulate gold.

I've given a lot of thought about how to operate in the current environment in view of the trouble that I see coming up. Trouble that will materialize in, I don't know -- three years, five years, ten years. I really don't know -- if I had to guess, I'd guess the trouble will come within four years.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A reversal could knock out power grids, hurt astronauts and satellites, widen atmospheric ozone holes, send polar auroras flashing to the equator and confuse birds, fish and migratory animals that rely on the steadiness of the magnetic field as a navigation aid. But experts said the repercussions would fall short of catastrophic, despite a few proclamations of doom and sketchy evidence of past links between field reversals and species extinctions.

:D Just meanswe will have to go back to the Compass Rose to recalibrate-

compensate ........ adjust the star charts and Bowditch Tables. :D

Those fancy inertial-navigation systems will take you to the shoals.

Guest yobob1

Bulls losing Grip, But hey, they don't have any fingers.

In fact, the technical case for further declines grows more solid with each passing week.? For all three major indices broad patterns of progressively lower highs and lower lows remain intact.? A quick gander at an S&P chart reveals one very obvious point: every rally this year has stalled at lower levels. In other words, bulls have consistently failed to challenge previous highs while sellers have happily accepted lower prices for their inventory.

Hmmm, noticed this in the charts Stained posted late yesterday also.

But as I?ve been saying for quite a while now, don?t assume that bad numbers will rejuvenate the long-term bear market right away.? We?re only a few months away from the election and Uncle Al, aggressive inflation fighter that he is, is obviously playing ball, evidenced by a silly token 25 bp rate cut.? If there?s a way to keep the market ?stable? (read: ?keep it from falling?), the fine folks at the Fed will find it.

In the meantime, folks at the White House are already in the process of ?securing? the election by examining ways to avoid one entirely. [see] With that kind of gumption and creativity, how hard can it be to keep stocks propped up a few more months?

A little birdie keeps chirping in my ear (Hey buddy, did you notice you've got a condor on your head?) that something will let the wheels fall off before November.

Our strange little silver spike in Hong Kong is back. Duck & Cover. See it in the 24 hour chart here : See Spot run.

Someone posted about increased solar activity(HB?). Yesterday it felt like the flames of wrath were licking my solar beanie. But it's normal to get about 3 weeks of very hot temps about now in Idaho. In fact, all in all, this has turned out to be a very normal year here weather wise. The only strangeness was a wet May which turned everything green even at low altitudes. Normally burnt brown by now the desert is still remarkably green. Large mammals, (deer, elk, Pavoratti) are holding lower because of this I think, though this week's temps may start to move them up.

My favorite election conspiracy theory is the Matrix takes out Shrub just before the election putting the true Neocons at the helm and then they abort the election while we mourn the martyrized chimp. I don't think the Matrix will pull Osama da Bomba out of the freezer. He's far too valuable on the loose as the raison d' etre. My guess is he's chillin at Club Med with 72 virgins at his feet.

Nasdaq rally on deck today. Quackcom is splitting. BUY! BUY! BUY!

clean sweep so far.......

Dollar UP

Gold and Silver Getting whacked {No brainier indicator last night for the game plan today}

OIL down

Futures UP 4 points since 5am {990n was out partying late}

Bonds up

When I saw the metals action very early this morning I lowered my stops on the indices and sure enough I am now watching

On another note

Blackout in Athens today

SELL OIL......NOT

Correction Coming

Buying Opportunity?

Your Golden Stool, including short and long term updated charts and price targets, is loaded. Even if you are not a goldbug, you should check out the Golden Stool. It's in your Anals daily. Take a subscribatory and download the Golden Stool RIGHT NOW!

30 Day Intro Subscribatory. Just $16.99! Get In RIGHT NOW!?

http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editoria.../2004/0712.html

"Disposable Incomes would decline dramatically, further compounding the decrease in Real Wages currently maximizing returns through Labor Arbitrage in both Manufacturing and Service Economy?s Competitive Advantages."

I was mentioning this on M to M real estate debate over the weekend.

Pricing power passed out at the party long ago. Restructuring has run its course keeping "published earnings" at acceptable levels, bookkeeping shenanigans aside. I fully expect further attacks on wages if there is any hope of preventing corporate earnings erosion. Its a vicious circle as the consumer which is 66% of the economy finds fewer and fewer surplus greenbacks available for non discretionary purchases.

Couldn't agree more with one of the finest J Mackenzie

The corporate call for integrity seems little more than lip service

Globe & Mail

Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - Page B2

"At age 14, Douglas Barry thought he might like to become a CEO when he grew up. So, in 2001, the Philadelphia teenager started sending letters to U.S. CEOs asking for advice on reaching the top of the corporate ladder. Incredibly, more than 200 responded, including business leaders such as Sumner Redstone of Viacom, Jacques Nasser of Ford, Jeffrey Immelt of General Electric, Anne Mulcahy of Xerox and Sanford Weill of Citigroup.

Mr. Barry, now all of 18, has published the letters in his new book Wisdom for a Young CEO: Incredible Letters and Inspiring Advice from Today's Business Leaders. The advice he received was fairly predictable, with many CEOs saying the key to success is to have passion for what you do, make people your priority, have a vision, and be curious. But across the board, the No. 1 factor cited for success was old-fashioned integrity...." :lol:

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/Articl...R13//?query=ceo

MER saying revenue from trading down

With computer trading dominating and the little guy watching for the most part, this comes as no surprise.

Morgan Stanley upgrades IBM at the appropriate time ...2 days prior to earnings release and 3 days to option ex.

I have seen this before on a few occasions.

They will be selling. Count on it.

Archived