On the edge of the abyss

We can argue copyright law endlessly, and have done so :blink: but I totally agree that copyright law has NOT stifled innovation.

How do you know that?

Yes, there has been a lot of innovation, but at the same time, couldn't there have been a lot more (yes it is unprovable)? Just like saying all the millions killed in the wars could have produced another Da Vinci or Einstein.

Probability says yes.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do you know that?

Yes, there has been a lot of innovation, but at the same time, couldn't there have been a lot more (yes it is unprovable)? Just like saying all the millions killed in the wars could have produced another Da Vinci or Einstein.

Probability says yes.

Here is why I disagree:

With the protection of copyright law, people can get paid for their creations. Therefore, they can make a living CREATING. Whereas, if their intellectual property becomes free to all after creation, they will be too busy working as a Wal-Mart greeter to be able to have time to continue creating.

I have never understood why people think other people should not get paid for doing the WORK, and I do mean WORK, of creating. Why should creative work have to be a hobby, rather than a profession, for those who are able to create things that other people want to use?

Here is why I disagree:

With the protection of copyright law, people can get paid for their creations. Therefore, they can make a living CREATING. Whereas, if their intellectual property becomes free to all after creation, they will be too busy working as a Wal-Mart greeter to be able to have time to continue creating.

I have never understood why people think other people should not get paid for doing the WORK, and I do mean WORK, of creating. Why should creative work have to be a hobby, rather than a profession, for those who are able to create things that other people want to use?

Exactly. There should be copyright law. Just for the reasons you stated. Just seems that it has been "extended" way beyond the time when the original creator could make a living from their work (ie He's dead, Jim).

Just too creepy in that the idea extends way too deeply into the culture.

Just like the current Fed Head seems to ha a "copyright" on his position.

:rolleyes:

Exactly. There should be copyright law. Just for the reasons you stated. Just seems that it has been "extended" way beyond the time when the original creator could make a living from their work (ie He's dead, Jim).

Yeah, the old law protected a work for 70 years from the date of creation. If you came up with some great thing when you were 18 or 20 (which people have done), chances are you would not outlive your royalty payments, and things came into public domain at a reasonable time. It was the Mouse turning 70 that freaked out Disney, and oddly enough the law was changed right before the Mouse would have come into public domain.

However I'm surprised that you think that copyright "extends too deeply into the culture." My experience has been that people (especially young people) think everything should be free, and it's the sign of a wimp or a fool to ever buy anything like music, movies, software, etc.

However I'm surprised that you think that copyright "extends too deeply into the culture." My experience has been that people (especially young people) think everything should be free, and it's the sign of a wimp or a fool to ever buy anything like music, movies, software, etc.

I meant the "corporate" culture...

one point on the practical application of copyright laws regarding music. the beneficiary of music rights is rarely the creator of the art. but continued cash flow for the record companies, who systematically, as their business model, strip those rights from the artists for themselves.

i am all for creators reaping the benefits of their creative efforts. but that is not the intent, nor the practical effect of the copyright law structure.

(i am not an expert. but i briefly worked in the music biz when i was a kid, and as a fan and friend of various musicians have seen this play out over and over.)

one point on the practical application of copyright laws regarding music. the beneficiary of music rights is rarely the creator of the art. but continued cash flow for the record companies, who systematically, as their business model, strip those rights from the artists for themselves.

i am all for creators reaping the benefits of their creative efforts. but that is not the intent, nor the practical effect of the copyright law structure.

(i am not an expert. but i briefly worked in the music biz when i was a kid, and as a fan and friend of various musicians have seen this play out over and over.)

Creators are at the mercy of the publishers for honest payments of royalties. As you are aware, some artists have had to sue their labels to get honest accounting. It's a huge problem.

However, things are really changing now that people can self-publish books and music. It's going to be interesting to see how business models change now that people can get their work sold in ways that do not involve major labels or major publishers.

Hey Guys,

Any of you have experience using Alpari UK as your fx broker?

I am asking cuz after a few months of using them I think they are scammers of some sort.

Hard to say for sure, but I've experienced more than few 'incidences' that make me think so...such as the spread all of a sudden widens drastically as I get close to my take profit level and since I scalp, my profits pretty much vanish and sometimes even goes negative.

Then there is the 'stop hunting' issue (which at first i thought was just cuz my stops got hit as that's where the trading took it, but then way too often the price reversed exactly at my stop trigger. I guess that can happen a few times but it happened just way too many times with these guys.

Just the other day, last week I think, with Gold, when Madness spoke of the H&S on the hourly and placing a stop around 1142 and to honor that stop by not moving it around, well i decided to play with it a bit and kept on raising it just to see and sure enough they took it all the way to 1145.xx where i ended up being stopped out and then reversed it right at my stop out price. Sorry Madness, i think that was your first loss since nov or something, and i really think it was cuz of these P*icks chasing my stop level). could be paranoia or a poorly placed stop, but i really don't think so for some reason.

Also noticed that when I get a few winning trades in a row, all of a sudden their system starts slowing down, or pausing or disconnecting and re-connecting a minute or two later, and of course the re-quoting thing (which i'm sure happens to everyone once in a while, but it seems once you get 3 winning trades in a row, issues start up again with these guys) At times they don't close out my order when i try to do it manually and often just freeze the whole system (and then claim it's a tech issue on my side) yet I run 3 different computers and my other platforms for equities don't experience any slowness or issues like this while this Alapri one starts 'conveniently' acting up.

At first I thought some of this could be normal, but today i noticed something rather odd. In gold again.

What was the low for yesterday (jan 28)? I saw 1074ish at around 12:45 pm est and a move back UP until benspankme's vote and onto close...yet on this platform it states it went down 1070 at around 5pm est. I don't see this low anywhere else on the web for the 28th's price action, nor the chart going down that low after the initial drop at lunch time... Am i missing something? overly paranoid?

They also took me out a few months ago the same way with some random tick.. I complained to them that time and then the following day they re-instated my order for me. I thought that was weird, but was new with fx/futures and let it go since i got my money back, but now i see this happen again today and it makes me think that these guys are fully guilty of such shenanigans.

Tonight, I finally decided to look up some reviews of these guys (something I obviously should have done before putting my money with them) and i am reading of several similar stories that I've described.

If nothing else, consider this a warning to not use these guys...

Any of you FX guys have any reliable and non-corrupt broker recommendations that I can use? (i'm in Canada)

Thanks Stoolies!

Now that companies can fund any and all candidates...can we just have the companies run the United States and get rid of Washington?

I mean really....what's the point anymore, of DC, elections, etc.

In fact, when I was on the corporate side of things as opposed to the covert ops jungle I play in now I had great benefits and fantastic (albeit never used) healthcare.

Long live corporate America !!!

Death to the politicians !!!

At least with companies, you get something. As opposed to policticians, where you get nothing AND have to pay the f**kers for the privilege.

this is the definition of fascism

thank you supreme court

dharma

However, things are really changing now that people can self-publish books and music. It's going to be interesting to see how business models change now that people can get their work sold in ways that do not involve major labels or major publishers.

thank goodness. the death of the big record companies is way too slow for my liking, but inevitable. the most important distributors of music today are apple and myspace, not sony, universal and emi.

eta: that's steve jobs apple, not john lennon apple.

MAKES PERFECT SENSE

Seagate makes a $1.04 a share this quarter and can't break $20. They expect to make 85¢ or so next quarter.

Amazon make 85¢ a share this quarter and moves to $129 after hours. They expect to make 80¢ or so next quarter.

Make perfect sense to me.

Well seagate is productionist while amazon is consumptionist

Productionist companies are undervalued while consumptionist companies are overvalued. :ninja:

Archived