B4 The Bell, Thursday September 2

Guest bullseatshitndie

emini: setting up neg div. BUT, question is where will the reversal come from. i intend on selling 1125 area. do not trust the ptb and bs #'s tomorrow.

if mid 1120's does stop this briefly, i don't see prices getting any lower than 1105 area.

post-20-1094159131.png

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congradulations to those who suspected there would a rally today no matter what the funde-mentals. :( Republicans aides were already bragging about strong employment growth this afternoon. While strong employment doesn't mesh with weak retail sales, and negative statements from car makers and Wal-Mart, apparently Wall Street buys any positive figures no matter how incredible.

This evening's figures from the Fed show what we expected from foreign central banks - for the sixth week in a row they were heavy buyers. The purchases are running at a $456 billion annual rate over that period, which is even faster than the March period where long term interest rates bottomed.

In addition, the acceleration of the growth of the monetary base (repos plus Treasury purchases) continued (but a good chart on this is not yet available).

Money supply measures improved some, but are still showing weak growth over the last 10 weeks.

No doubt that the central banks either recognize a downturn ahead in the US economy and/or they just want the economy to get better through the election to help their friend, GWB.

Uranium is at 19.25$ this week.

Uranium craziness the past two weeks.

I seem to remember reading something about two years ago on some paranoid site about the preparation being made by the "real big money people" to badmouth and destroy any reputation that nuclear power generation may have.To this end they even supported "green" groups opposing nuclear power.

The aim is,naturally,to get all the assets for zilch.Then,in the future,to get everyone to believe that nuclear power is indispensable('cos the oil's running out)

whereby they ride the new nuclear boom to even greater riches.

Is this what the Uranium price is trying to tell us perhaps?

STOCKINTERVIEW.COM:

How high is high when you say that?

Bill? Powers:

I would say up to $100 per pound. In three years, we should be well over $50/pound. Before the end of this decade, uranium will probably be $100/pound. I would not say this, based on just USEC, but based on Cameco (NYSE: CCJ). They recently released a news item that says the Russians are going to be holding back some of their output from the megatons to megawatts project. Their (the Russian) uranium is going to be needed for internal consumption. Russia has a growing nuclear power industry. They need to have uranium supplies available. They?re not going to be selling as much as they had in previous years. It appears it is going to be very important to

factor in reduced Russian supplies as well as when USEC gets

out of the business.

STOCKINTERVIEW.COM:

How can a sophisticated investor benefit from uranium?s? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? rising price?

Bill? Powers:

The most leveraged investments are the Canadian juniors. I? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? believe Cameco (NYSE: CCJ) has other businesses out of uranium exploration and production, and it is a very safe way to play uranium. But I think there are far better opportunities out there. One of my favorite companies is Strathmore Minerals (TSX-V: STM). I really like their business model of acquiring a great deal of very prospective uranium properties at bargain basement prices. They?re able to do this because, right now, uranium has gone through a twenty-year depression. The prices for some of these pretty far advanced projects are very cheap. I think they are well leveraged for that. Another safe way to play uranium is Denison Mines (TSX: DEN). hey produce about 1.3 million pounds per year. They have properties are in McLean Lake, Saskatchewan, which is part of the Athabasca Basin. What I like about them is they are able to use their cash flow from their existing production to further expand some of their properties.

http://www.stockinterview.com/strathmore-powers.html

post-20-1094159667_thumb.gif

This evening's figures from the Fed show what we expected from foreign central banks - for the sixth week in a row they were heavy buyers. The purchases are running at a $456 billion annual rate over that period, which is even faster than the March period where long term interest rates bottomed.

In addition, the acceleration of the growth of the monetary base (repos plus Treasury purchases) continued (but a good chart on this is not yet available).

I interpret the data as more and more money are needed to stabilize the economy. Pretty soon, we maybe talking about $600B, $800B annual rate.

Whitehouse will get tomorrows numbers at the end of the day today at the latest.... Plenty of time to incorporate the info into the speech. If the numbers aint good, I would be shocked.

Its never a good idea for shrub to change his speech at the last minute. We know how flustered he gets with months of preparation. Off-the-cuff and shrub do not go hand in hand.

I continue to write about the affect of outsourcing US work to other nations which have far lower wages. There's an advertisement in the current issue of Fortune magazine that talks about the outsourcing of payroll data.

Listen to this -- "Blue Cross is only one of the many beneficiaries of the outsourcing trend. It's a global phenomenon, with everything from IT services to tax filing and benefits administration being managed by third parties. Human resources and payroll services have taken advantage of outsourcing in a big way. According to Gartner, US companies will spend some $17 billion on human resources outsourcing in 2004. Of that, $6.4 billion -- more than one third -- will be in payroll processing.

What this means is that US service jobs are being exported in a big way to other countries, probably India in the case of service outsourcing.

I'm sorry to say it, but what this means is that higher-paying US jobs will be lost, and new jobs in the US will be the lower-paying jobs. The big picture -- the US standard of living will be heading down. I say this based on the high level of debt held by US consumers, their low savings rate, and the accelerating trend to outsourcing of jobs.

In fact, I've been wondering whether what we're experiencing now with outsourcing might be a watershed period in history. It might well be happening, but nobody realizes its importance.

I'll say it again -- what may be happening is a long-term decline in the US standard of living while the standard of living of nations such as China and India and certain Asian nations may be on the rise.

- Richard Russell, today

LOL, my guess is that he will do ok on the speech and the numbers will look good tomorrow and the smart money will take some dollars off the table as the market rallies tomorrow....at least in the morning. Afternoon tomorrow may be a different story as investors will be wary about the long weekend. The smart people on wall street have to be looking at the same economic numbers we are....they have to start to take money off the table and lower their exposure going into the election.... There should be some volotility ahead and they might want to play the market a bit...imho...

Best wishes...

Brown One, It wasn't a paranoid site. Things are falling into place neatly here. Oil money is fuelling the repugs while nuclear power is electrifying the democrats. I thought it so weird that Al Gore wrote a book on ecology several years ago. He doesn't really seem like a principled idealist, just another empty suit hitching a ride on the gravy train. The more I thought about it, my intuition kept nagging at me. They call nuclear the "clean energy". That's it, Gore represents nuclear industry, directly or indirectly. Next thought--I'm getting so weird and cynical. A politician does the right thing, writes a book about global warming and the first thing I can think of is , what angle is he working. But damn you can't be too cynical nowadays. Check this out.

Counterpunch

During the run up to Kyoto, the nuclear industry secured another startling windfall, this time a promise of nearly $400 million in research and development subsidies. The key man here is one of Al Gore's intellectual Svengalis, John P. Holdren. While a professor at Berkeley, Holdren portrayed himself as a mighty foe of nuclear weapons. His popularity among Berkeley students soared after he gave ecological backing to Carl Sagan's scary scenarios about nuclear winter. Now Holdren is ensconced at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, where he presides as the John and Teresa Heinz professor of environmental policy. It will be recalled that Teresa Heinz is the $2 billion widow of the late Sen. John Heinz, intimate friend of Clinton's former global warming negotiator Tim Wirth, current wife of Sen. John Kerry, head of a $200 million foundation which gives money for "practical solutions to global environmental problems" and long-time board member of the Environmental Defense Fund.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holdren was tapped by Gore and Clinton's science advisor Jack Gibbons to head a task force on energy and climate policy as part of the Presidential Commission on Science and Technology. Holdren's panel was well stocked with allies of the nuclear lobby, headlined by Bechtel's Lawrence Papay and William Fulkerson, former associate director of the Oak Ridge National Lab and now a senior fellow at the Gore-endowed Joint Institute for Energy and Environment at the University of Tennessee. Masquerading as an academic was Charles Vest, president of MIT and a driving force behind the American Nuclear Society's Eagle Alliance.

http://www.counterpunch.org/nukes.html

Sickening, yes?

This evening's figures from the Fed show what we expected from foreign central banks - for the sixth week in a row they were heavy buyers.  The purchases are running at a $456 billion annual rate over that period, which is even faster than the March period where long term interest rates bottomed.

I interpret the data as more and more money are needed to stabilize the economy. Pretty soon, we maybe talking about $600B, $800B annual rate.

Yep, if they want another refinancing boom. But the downside to that is some countries are going to start experiencing inflation as a side effect of pumping up their money supply to buy US$s.

INTC just said on the cc that the slowdown accelerated for them two weeks ago. The recent price cuts had no meaningful effect on demand. That blows the whole "soft patch" theory out of the water.
The likely outcome of all this R.&D. investment in China? Even more overcapacity. Just as China's abundant unskilled workers feed the world more shoes and more gadgets than it needs -- or at least more than it can absorb without forcing prices down -- China's abundance of newly skilled industrialists threatens to swamp the world's most highly prized, high-tech markets. The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this year that in the past three years foreign investors have invested or pledged $15 billion to build 19 new semiconductor factories. China imports 80 percent of the semiconductor chips it needs, $19 billion worth, and the government has made it a point of national pride to end the country's dependence on foreigners. Industry observers seem to agree that China will be able to compete with the world's leading semiconductor makers in a decade, but even before that it may exert strong downward pressure on chip prices. Will there be a 2005 recession in the chip market? Morris Chang, the influential founder of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing, the world's largest dedicated independent semiconductor foundry, asked an industry gathering last September. ''Yes, I think there will be,'' he said. And who will cause it? China, thanks to all the capacity it's building.

The China Century, New York Times Magazine.

Archived