B4 The Bell Thursday August 26th

what is it that the Hypertyger says? "the top sucks from the bottom". . .

Notice how the Top 5% sucks from all 5 quintiles . . .ever increasing. . .

------------------------------------------------------------------

Share of aggregate income

Year Lowest Second Third Fourth Highest 5

fifth fifth fifth fifth fifth percent

------------------------------------------------------------------

2001 4.2 9.7 15.4 22.9 47.7 21.0

2000 30/ 4.3 9.8 15.4 22.7 47.7 21.1

2000 29/ 4.3 9.8 15.5 22.8 47.4 20.8

1999 4.3 9.9 15.6 23.0 47.2 20.3

1998 4.2 9.9 15.7 23.0 47.3 20.7

1997 4.2 9.9 15.7 23.0 47.2 20.7

1996 4.2 10.0 15.8 23.1 46.8 20.3

1995 25/ 4.4 10.1 15.8 23.2 46.5 20.0

1994 24/ 4.2 10.0 15.7 23.3 46.9 20.1

1993 23/ 4.1 9.9 15.7 23.3 47.0 20.3

1992 22/ 4.3 10.5 16.5 24.0 44.7 17.6

1991 4.5 10.7 16.6 24.1 44.2 17.1

1990 4.6 10.8 16.6 23.8 44.3 17.4

1989 4.6 10.6 16.5 23.7 44.6 17.9

1988 4.6 10.7 16.7 24.0 44.0 17.2

1987 21/ 4.6 10.7 16.8 24.0 43.8 17.2

1986 4.7 10.9 16.9 24.1 43.4 16.5

1985 20/ 4.8 11.0 16.9 24.3 43.1 16.1

1984 4.8 11.1 17.1 24.5 42.5 15.4

1983 19/ 4.9 11.2 17.2 24.5 42.4 15.3

1982 5.0 11.3 17.2 24.4 42.2 15.3

1981 5.3 11.4 17.5 24.6 41.2 14.4

1980 5.3 11.6 17.6 24.4 41.1 14.6

perhaps the source of income tax revenues would be equally revealing?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something totally OT but it tells me that "the internet society" is totally effed!

Today I got this email amongst a load of other genuine email from our good friends at eBay.com(see attached).

I nearly clicked on a link in the mail but suddenly realized that the spelling was so crap it had to be a spoof.

So,I forwarded it to eBay spoof dept and in the next post you'll see the "reply" from eBay for being a "good" citizen!

Quite mind boggling really--just in case I am an idiot,I followed eBay's instructions and re-sent it.Needless to say,I get the same email back"We did not receive your email"

Excuse me,but if you didn't get my mail,how come you are replying to a mail you didn't get--Monty Python stuff--Am I in the right room for an argument?Eff off you SOB--Oh,sorry this appears to be the room for abuse-arguments are down the corridor and turn left you f*ck!

Truly UFB

post-20-1093565995.jpg

eBay reply:

ALERT: Your email has not been received by eBay. (KMM128904956V63122L0KM)Verzonden op:Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:32:21 -0700

ALERT: Your email has not been received by eBay.

We reserve the [email protected] email address for handling reports of

Websites that have been set up to impersonate eBay. In order to

investigate these reports in a timely manner and provide help to members

who have been affected by this type of activity, we only accept emails

that are forwarded to this address.

If you received this message after attempting to report an email that

appears to have come from eBay but actually directs you to another site,

you must forward the message to us again by using the forward function

of your email program. Make certain that [email protected] is in the "to"

field. Do not alter the subject line, add text to your message or

forward the email as an attachment.

To help our members better protect themselves from spoof Web sites, we

have developed a new feature for the eBay Toolbar called "Account

Guard." Account Guard includes an indicator of when you are on an eBay

or PayPal Website, buttons to report fake eBay Websites, and a password

notification feature that warns you when you may be entering your eBay

password into an unverified site. To learn more about the eBay Toolbar

with Account Guard, open a new browser and type

www.ebay.com/ebay_toolbar into the address bar. Note that eBay will

never send you an email that includes a download as an attachment or a

link that goes to a page with a download.

eBay also recommends that you ensure that your Web browser, operating

system, and virus protection software are up to date. Check for updates

at the "Windows Update" link on www.microsoft.com and scan your computer

for viruses often.

If you have any other concerns, please use our Help system by clicking

on "help" at the top of the eBay home page.

IMPORTANT

**Please do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be

received.**

Best regards,

eBay SafeHarbor Team

See,it's all my fault.Is my browser up-to-date.Do I have the latest virus scan and do I use it!Why don't you just eff off and stop impeding us and our management inthe process of stuffing our pockets with your money--suckers!

Hello stoolers

Bearhugs mentioned a chart posted by Hypertiger in IDS re the Help Wanted Index.

Anybody know what happened to Hyper's post? Did he delete it?

I am very interested in the chart.

It's still there

post-20-1093546066.gif

i glanced at the chart earlier.... according to that chart, the credit arena has room for expansion and low help wanted ads would be consistent with fairly low unemployment. is that bearish? honestly, i thought the chart would be more bearish. i also believe the 1990 recession lasted longer, so the bar should be wider. also, looks like when the blue crosses down below the red it tends to be toward the end of the recessionary periods. im not an econ expert like HT and i havent studied finance for 600 years, but the chart looks less bearish than my gut tells me.

The one thing that strikes me when I look at the chart is the divergence after the end of the most recent recession. After every other recession, ads and outstanding credit rose in unison. After the most recent one, credit rebounded but ads did not.

I think the implication is that there was less of a rebound in employment than after previous recessions. Of course if you understand BLS' methodology, you knew this anyway.

Panda,

That is because we hit the top of supercycle wave three or five at the last peak. Things should be different then anything this country has experienced EVER. Even the next major war (2007-09)? will be different. I bring that up due to the fact that congress has initiated the draft starting in 2005 18-36 yrs of age. I fear for the second termers.

Panda,

thank you for the observation. i had not considered that and you reasoning makes perfect sense. perhaps in the past business/commercial borrowing increased and jobs were created due to biz expansion and the want ads increased. a second glance indicates that the blue/red relationship appears to have diverged since like 1993 or so - big space between lines - maybe this results from the monetarist experiment. the chart and your analysis would be consistent with quotes of 4 or 6 bucks of debt increases only producing a $1 increase in GDP. might the recent divergence not portend a double-dip recession with borrowing for reasons other than prudent biz expansion?

so it may be like roger arnold said a long while back, the comm/biz lending has to carry the torch from the consumer and that other economies need to become less export dependent by spurring greater internal demand.

thanks for taking the time to point that.

Guest Icky Twerp

The fun has started......

Southern Union says CrossCountry Pipeline draws competing bids.

175 words

25 August 2004

12:29

Platts Commodity News <java script:NewWindow( 'FIISrcDetails','?from=article&ids=platt');void(0);>

Washington (Platts)-25Aug2004/100 pm EDT/1700 GMT Southern Union, which earlier this summer offered to pay $2.35-bil for Enron's CrossCountry Energy Pipeline, Wednesday said it had been informed that at least two other companies have submitted competing bids for the interstate natural gas pipeline company. Southern Union's bid, which topped a previous multi-billion-dollar offer from Houston-based NuCoastal that was backed by oilman Oscar Wyatt, prompted the US Bankruptcy Court overseeing Enron to schedule a September auction for CrossCountry, one of the last major assets held by the former energy giant. A spokeswoman for Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania-based Southern said her company is "assessing the bids" to determine whether either qualifies. In an order approving the auction, the bankruptcy court directed that qualifying competing bids must be at least $10-mil above Southern's offer. The CrossCountry auction is scheduled to take place in Houston next week.

The spokeswoman declined to identify either of the companies that submitted bids.

There are 78 ethanol plants in 19 states. Approximately 10% of all the corn grown in the U.S. goes into ethanol while 70% is fed to cattle. ADM controls 60% of the ethanol market. According to the Cato Institute, every dollar in profits earned by ADM from ethanol costs taxpayers $30. Since 1980, ADM has received over $10 billion in subsidies. Ethanol is protected by a 54 cent per gallon foreign trade tariff. It should be noted that, of all the major crops, corn creates the most soil erosion and demands huge amounts of herbicides, insecticides, and chemical fertilizers. According to studies at Cornell University, without factoring in costs to ship ethanol to blending sites, it costs 29% more energy to produce ethanol than you get from burning it. Ethanol causes air pollution by releasing significant amounts of hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides.
:blink:

Lots of very happy :D hogs, cattle and chickens recieve that mash. Ever seen a drunk chicken? :P .....doesn't take but a couple of drops from an eye-dropper.

To bad 990N can't be 'doctored'! :ph34r:

The End......

Re: Leadership

This market is getting weird.

Check out the breakouts in BA, AAPL, QCOM, etc.

Yet other stocks continue to get shanked.

Some sectors are holding up very well, others are getting clocked.

One possiblity is a permanent rangebound market in the S & P.

For example, retail and tech could get smoked. But energy stocks could take off, and who knows, in a hyperinflationary scenario, the homebuilders could keep going up.

The S & P stays rangebound for years, some sectors rise, others fall, permanent rotation for years and years.....

A real bear market takes everything down. But I remember someone saying that in the 1970's bear market, the oil stocks went through the roof, keeping the S & P from totally collapsing.....

Just one idea as to what could happen.....

I have often thought that the likes of Bush should win and then they have to try and clean up the mess they have created....poetic justice on a monumental scale this time round me thinks.

BB, that is pretty much my thinking too. I just can't see how a Dem govt could possibly clean up Bush's mess ... not without a huge amount of pain and bitterness which is likely to be directed at whoever is in power, not who caused it.

Crude roundtripped.

The low is in.

Short stocks now!!!!

Casually have been watching the heating oil contract for Dec. 04. That dip is going to get bought.

I still think Jane & John Doe in New England, tried to wait it out & didn't top off this summer.

High today of 70 degrees in temple town... Al is sleeping with blankie tonight.

A real bear market takes everything down. But I remember someone saying that in the 1970's bear market, the oil stocks went through the roof, keeping the S & P from totally collapsing...

Many of the old timers, from the Amoco era, had stock splits every 3 years or so during that time frame.

I can't imagine what the former AN ticker symbol be worth today. :angry:

VLO yearly. In the mid 90's alot of good Amoco folk ran from the Brits to hide in this company.

post-20-1093573307.gif

Archived