B4 The Bell Moonday October 25

Brian,

Americans are certainly hooked on their medications. Like you say, advertising has convinced everyone that the answer to everything is to pop a pill. At 60 years old, I take zero medications - none! People want me to take medications for my allergies (to everything I breathe), but I refuse. Medications only deal with the symptoms and not the cause for the most part, so they don't fix anything. If I take a medication, I want it to fix something, and of course some medications do, and then you stop taking them.

I remember in Hurricane Iniki in Hawaii, most people came to the island with only enough medication for the length of their stay. When we couldn't get off the island after the hurricane, many people ran out of their medications, including my woman friend. Medications became a crisis situation.

When the economy goes to hell and medications aren't available, what are these people going to do? I think this will be part of the great culling. People who rely on medications for their life, simply aren't going to make it, imho. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
San Diego anyone ??

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...owenronbythesea

San Diego now 'Enron by the Sea'

When I read things like the following in these articles, blood evaporates from my body because I get so damn angry:

Meanwhile, the average police officer, firefighter or clerk retiring after 30 years takes home a one-time $300,000 check from a much-criticized deferred retirement program established in 1997, plus a $50,000 annual pension for life, inflation adjusted. A few top officials have left with $1 million deferred-retirement checks and $144,000 a year for life.

edit for another quote:

Many think the scandal, arcane as it is, resonates. "It hits home," Boling says. "People in both public and private pension plans are very concerned about the stability of their retirement."

I am having a very hard time feeling sorry for any of these people. Pensions are a thing of the past, especially if you are under 40. Another thing boomers will get that no one else will. The greed is incredible

I was up 100 % from Friday to Monday,then gave back 50% Tuesday before bailing,lucky I did, as I would have given back another 25%....these markets are effing pyscho....rare to get 2 decent down days in a row.

This was posted by a fellow stoolie....fascinating stuff about the Crash of 29

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/crash/index.html

"John, honey, I bought 15 million shares of STEM last week, and doubled our money...."

John Dearest

I want another child by you--only unlke you I want him or her to have their own body parts

I love you baby and thanx for the hunting outfit--it really conned the 2nd amendment Schmukerei

No problem my dear--I bought a hundred of them for distribution and if any are left over I'll incinerate them along with your self-incriminating military records

Thanx Babe you lovely Billionairess,God I love your gold lined.......er uh.ear lobes

John,you thrill me;I always wanted to marry a member of the American Aristocracy---Aaron Burr was my favorite--

How do you like my political magic show? My past disappears without a trace before millions of pairs of eyes

I love it as i did the memory of another escape artist Harry Houdini who was even slipperier than you My love

Tonight before bedtime may i cut you in half ala king Soloman?

No my dear it wouldn't work I can still only vote Once==

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: audio by night wretcher

"When I read things like the following in these articles, blood evaporates from my body because I get so damn angry"

Yes ! Well-said MD.

A -third of a million bucks- ??? PLUS 50K a year for LIFE ?? AND it's freaking adjusted for INFLATION ???

kee-rist... Man, can you imagine the numbers a few years out, after US$-hyperinflation has taken hold? sheeshh...

Oh, and in case the evaporation hasn't set in in earnest yet....I noticed that a later paragraphs said they "retire" and get this OBSCENE tax-ripoff at age =55= !!

In Bush v. Gore, the SC ran away from its ruling by saying that it can't be used as precedent. It weakened states rights and transferred then to the courts. But I don't think the SC will be able to get away from the implications of their decision anyway, since they can be applied to all states and not just Florida.

IMHO in the possible post-election chaos to come, both parties will use the contorted logic of Bush v. Gore to request court review over issues that were outside the SC's review before 2000.

Poor Rehnquist -- a Nixon appointee -- is reported to have undergone a tracheotomy, but says he will keep working.

Probably he underestimates how seriously having your throat cut open will set you back when you're 80 years old.

Part of my personal nightmare is Rehnquist sitting behind the bench in a wheelchair, on oxygen, announcing the Court's Kerry v. Bush decision in a Darth Vader voice through one of those low-fidelity speech aid appliances held to his white-taped throat ... :ph34r:

I know just what you mean MH--I hate duplicitous people in authority who speak out of both sides of their neck

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: --Your honor its difficult listening to you-could you lower the bass and raise the treble a little bit--???

Florida will be close. again. and the losing side will say that the machines were tampered with and results cannot be verified. it could lead to a repeat election on paper ballot. or not. it could lead to civil war.

did you see drudge story about the response Mrs Edwards made to a lady ata Rally who said there's gonna be riots if.......

To which mrs Edwards--(more intelligent than her numbskull husband) rplied-"Not if we win"

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: There is no question about riots post election;the only question is where are the safe havens;the rufuges from the Barbarians within the gates???

Where in G**s name will I be able to get a pastrami sandwich when perilous times arrive?

Machinehead, We can only hope that the contested election resembles a scene from Star Wars. I'm afraid we're going to get a jurisprudence version of "Space Balls", by Mel Brooks. The Darth Vadar figure's poignant line "I'm surrounded by assh**es!" a perfect description of what it's like to actually swerve on the highest court in the land.

What's with Rehnquist? Like buddy....take a h-o-l-i-d-a-y! You're eighty for God's sakes. Strom Thurmond was like a cute mascot after they had him pickled and sat him in congress--very apple doll looking--you, on the other hand, could be quite dangerous.

The future of the free world rests on the shoulders of a man gooned on painkillers, fresh out of the hospital and a subverbal chimp with designs to take over the world. I take back what I said, it's far weirder than Space Balls.

BTW, that description of Rehnquist as Darth nearly knocked me off my chair I was laughing so hard. :grin:

Thread

Jeremy Bentham,Lenin and Stalin the immortal political choirboy aere all exemplary figures and expressions of the Taxidermists art--and are on the cutting edge of what the intermediate drug taking american public is going to turn into in their mad quest for acheiving an over medicated immortality

True they will be considered clinically dead but the medications will force the morticians to beat the cadavers with a club for at least an hour before it settles down

And did you know that three of the currently sitting Supremes are products of madam Toussads???

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: The current state of Mama Market is intensifying my disposition towards Gallows Humour--Gallows humour? Yes you know ."No felon will be hung before his Time"""

For some people the flu can be a two or three week knock-out. You can get it more than once in a season, and it can develop into pneumonia and dangerous respiratory failure. I travel a lot, so I've been thru all of those and more. it does have its virtues. hey, but then I am not so young anymore.

Butter

Please get yourself a bottle of food grade hydrogen peroxide (Food Food grade I say) and a sufficient quantity of Pharmaceutical grade powdered Vitamin C

Read the directions on th eperoxide bottle; and independently in another galss of water dissolve the Vit C and take both every hour on the hour until you become slightly incontiment at which point stop the c for awhile, but continue the peroxide

I know what you felt like--and joking aside I'm preparing to meet my lord and maker, unvaccinated as i am, but before i go into that eternal dark stygian cave from whence noone returns I'm gonna give the flue the old college try with the above

I tried it last year and it worked --Once again dont mix the c with th peroxide

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: Hydrogen peroxide therapy is a derivative of the detoxifying effect discovered by a couple of German Nobel laureates in th e30's n during a period when Aryan doctors were still interested in saving people

"If truth be known, the Federal Reserve and Dept of Treasury, with a 97.33% probability <G>, are engaged in the largest monetization sanitization neutralization effort in modern mankind. They are ?making good? a ton of JPMorgan bond derivatives, and an equal weight of Fanny Mae mortgage derivatives. Of course, we hear of Greenspan braggadocio that leveraged derivatives have successfully offloaded and offset risk. This is pure heresy, silly speak, and shallow pep talk in an attempt to soothe frayed nerves and endangered confidence in the monetary and financial system. When it comes to Chairman Greenspan, note his topic and ignore his words. His topic identifies the next crisis area. Be amused by his denial, based in ignorance, incompetence, or outright deception."

http://www.financialsense.com/Market/wrapup.htm

The concerns expressed that Boomers will receive all of the pension monies promised to them may be moot. You can't get blood from a turnip.

All of the goodies that the Boomers were promised by politicians were offered as payments for their votes. As is proven everyday, when you give Americans the opportunity for a short term gain at the expense of their country's future, they allow themselves to ignore the true long term cost and opt for immediate gratification every time. This is the result of the state of mind which has developed from the use of credit cards over the years, where credit is used to pay debts, thereby creating larger debts. The further in debt you go, the more urgent your need for short term fixes to make the payments.

Pension systems are designed to fail in an environment where the manufacturing base is shrinking and City/State taxes are declining.

In other news...

Norway will announce an end to their oil strike, sending crude a bit lower, gold down and the dollar up.

Michigan Consumer Confidence numbers are out at 10:00 and will come in worse than expected.

Here's what bears are up against with respect to individual stocks. CCL is at a 52 week high, ready to tank, and they announce a $1 billion stock buy back and a 20% dividend increase. The reality is they only increased their dividend, and are under no obligation to purchase ANY of their own stock at these prices as near as I can see. This is all about price keeping operations to allow the insiders to sell out of their shares at these levels on enough volume to cover their tracks.

Carnival Corporation & plc Announces Capital Deployment Plan Authorizing Repurchase of $1 Billion of Company's Shares and Increasing Dividend 20 Percent

10/25/2004 9:15:00 AM

MIAMI, Oct 25, 2004 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (CCL) (CUK) today announced its capital deployment plan with the company's board of directors authorizing the repurchase of up to an initial $1 billion of Carnival Corporation & plc shares and approving an increase in the quarterly dividend by 20 percent to $0.15 per share.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/newsfinder...4&property=sid&

chart:

http://139.142.147.221/StockChart_ImageOnl...NX&ref_rate=180

Archived