The Managed Economy

Maybury suggests that the war economy is permanent, and that the dollar will lose another three-fourths of its value in the next ten years. I concur. A corollary of that view is that bonds are doomed. It is axiomatic in a currency depreciation that the principal value of bonds will be severely eroded, in purchasing power terms. Review the minutes of the meeting from 1951 to 1981.

Dollar is going to .29 No doubts in my mind. It's in the dollar chart.

Doom doom doom. blah blah blah. rabble rabble rabble.

There. Got my pessimism out for the day :P

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can probably trace the "crumble" all the way back to the Civil War. That's when the Federal gummint anounced to its citizenry that it no longer lived under a federation and that the business of governing would ultimately be conducted by Washington D.C. and its corporate partners. It was just a matter of time (80 years give or take) before the most dangerous branch of the gummint, the executive, would wrestle power from the branch closest to the people, the legislative. The JFK assassination was likely a message from the ruling elite that along with power go certain "responsibilities".

I am probably pushing the political envelope so I will leave it there. :D

SJ

They fell pretty hot and heavy until da boyz got what they wanted. JFK, LBJ, Nixon and Carter all ousted. Now, we only get "made" men. Message received.

And Jimi likes to reminisce about the good times he had there though I'm not sure how much of what he remembers. :D

Amsterdamaged.

You know, if everyone took after the Dutch, it'd be such a better world for all.

Nothing like space cookies & the Reijksmuseum.

Mmmm... "Dutch Masters."

Mr Hanky, terribly sorry about your situation. It's just plain stupid what we do in this country sometimes.

You know, as we joke about joints and stuff, my blood is actually boiling for Mr. Hanky. Without getting into the politics of the legalization of drugs, it makes me really mad that somebody loses his livelihood for something so small, yet so much corporate fraud is simply being swept under the carpet. I don't just mean top management with obscene paychecks at shareholders' expense but also corporations getting away with very unsavoury practices that harm thousands of people (like pcb pollution, just to name the first example that comes to mind). All this Diana garbage on TV is another example of priorities that pander towards the unimportant.... one day when the extent of all the pension shortfalls becomes more widely known and makes huge headlines as they actually start affecting people en masse, the public will be wide-eyed at the horror of it all and we will be able to say quite truthfully that it was there all along for all to see, but the public and the media simply chose their priorities differently.

Word.

From the zone...

China will amend an article in its 1982 constitution on "martial law" and change the concept to "a state of emergency" in a move that will pave the wave for the promulgation of a state emergency law.

"However, a state of emergency is not only in response to social turmoil, but to many other eventualities including war, natural disaster, public health and economic crisis," it said."

You would think a Communist country would be setup already...Guess they need a little fine tuning...

"now we only get made men" - correct. Howard Dean lost before he started.

You're right. You can just tell by the way he is universally attacked. JFK was going to pull the plug on Nam. Dean would do the same with the latest Iraq corporate feeding frenzy. Dean is toast.

You would think a Communist country would be setup already...Guess they need a little fine tuning...
The lawmakers also passed the Law on Banking Supervision and amendments to the Law on the People's Bank of China and the Law on Commercial Banks.

Under the new legislation, the China Banking Regulatory Commission (CBRC) is authorized to oversee all banks and financial institutions in China, investigate illegal banking operations, and render punishments for violations. The commission was set up in April this year, to replace the People's Bank of China, the central bank, as the country's banking watchdog.

saw this on chinese banking reforms...nothing on the emergency preps...but the article is very brief.

http://english.qianlong.com/7838/2003/12/29/[email protected]

What you described seems to fit with what he was talking about. What happens after an external top?

Col D-- Continuation of the bear market (or top of the bull), depending on your point of view.

Granville also suggets that several other divergences should occur.

Some may be:

1. Negative divergence in the advance-decline line;

2. Fewer new daily highs and a greater number of new lows than at previous price peak;

3. Divergence with Transports.

All of these are longer-term indicators. Phil Weinstein was the guest Guru on The Nightly Business Report last Friday. He adverted to the bullish A/D lines on all indices. Remember last summer when we had days that there were zero 52 week lows?

I don't use OBV as a primary indicator. Like Doc says, price is the ultimate indicator. But volume indicators such as OBV, accumulation/distribution, and

CMF can avoid the trap of multicollinearity ( indicators all pointing in the same direction because they use the same base, namely, price). It's more of a litmus test.

Granville was pretty good this last time around. He stuck with his longer-term indicators. My analysis was that we topped June 17th and I missed the August rally. Because I thought the miners would go down with the Broads, I missed the start of the huge $HUI rally.

Got back on track with the miners in the fall, but all charts on the broads were indecisive during that period--Elliott, Hurst and OBV. Until December 18th, that is. Everything turned on a dime that day. Looked like a parabolic change that is deflating as we write.

Still no clarity, but Stained Jeans and some others seem to think that the scenario that OBV suggests will play out. We'll see new highs, with a significant correction, shortly.

According to minyanville.com "in the first two days of this new-year the Japanese government has bought an unprecedented $30 billion of U.S. government treasury securities in order to support the dollar versus the yen". The consensus is that this can not go on.

Where will the money go next?

USD down, $POG up... money goes in my pocket.

Archived